Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Is that him? My eyes aren't good enough to find him!

Even in the high-def trailer that guy is in the shadows, out of focus, half blocked by Mal, and has a different face (not that you can see clearly)! Looks like handlebar mustache to me, not a beard... but if that IS him something's different for sure.

Plus he's standing behind what looks like a shop/bar counter, holding a broom, and wearing an apron, which makes me assume it's just the owner of the place. Plus Mal seems to have him at gunpoint while Jayne and Zoe do their thing.

I'm thinking maybe he IS on the site with a new beard, but that he's not truly in the trailer. Unless it's some other scene I missed--but I too tried to look hard :D

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
nagromme said:
Is that him? My eyes aren't good enough to find him!

Even in the high-def trailer that guy is in the shadows, out of focus, half blocked by Mal, and has a different face (not that you can see clearly)! Looks like handlebar mustache to me, not a beard... but if that IS him something's different for sure.

Plus he's standing behind what looks like a shop/bar counter, holding a broom, and wearing an apron, which makes me assume it's just the owner of the place. Plus Mal seems to have him at gunpoint while Jayne and Zoe do their thing.

I'm thinking maybe he IS on the site with a new beard, but that he's not truly in the trailer. Unless it's some other scene I missed--but I too tried to look hard :D

On second (or 78th. whatever) glance, I'm thinking you may be right. However, the other point (about him having a beard in the AIM banners on the website) is true.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd say either the trailers were made without much involvement from Joss Whedon, and the Shepherd is missing just by luck... Or it's some weird legal/contract nonsense... Or he's missing on purpose to MAKE Firefly fans wonder :p Which would probably mean there's something to wonder about...

I seem to recall talk of three movies, potentially--and there are three characters with unexplained mysteries in their past. River, the Shepherd, and Inara. One movie each?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
nagromme said:
I'd say either the trailers were made without much involvement from Joss Whedon, and the Shepherd is missing just by luck... Or it's some weird legal/contract nonsense... Or he's missing on purpose to MAKE Firefly fans wonder :p Which would probably mean there's something to wonder about...

I seem to recall talk of three movies, potentially--and there are three characters with unexplained mysteries in their past. River, the Shepherd, and Inara. One movie each?

I doubt Joss would risk that, personally. We only get a trilogy if enough people see the movie opening weekend (which means it's imperative that you bring *all* your friends), so I think they'll probably explore all three mysteries in Serenity, and leave brand new mysteries for future movies. Remember, it was designed as a TV show, so the plot has a lot of staying power, even past the immediate questions presented.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, quick question.

The Sci Fi channel is running the first two episodes this Friday - Serenity 1 and Serenity 2 - which is actually the first episode. I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch this, though.

Are there any other channels that will be showing the series, or should I just get the DVD set?

The trailer looks great, I hope the movie lives up to it. And I'm wondering if the SciFi channel will pick it up as another series after the movies are out....

D

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Mr. Anderson said:
Ok, quick question.

The Sci Fi channel is running the first two episodes this Friday - Serenity 1 and Serenity 2 - which is actually the first episode. I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch this, though.

Are there any other channels that will be showing the series, or should I just get the DVD set?

The trailer looks great, I hope the movie lives up to it. And I'm wondering if the SciFi channel will pick it up as another series after the movies are out....

D

You should just get the DVD set. It's WELL worth the money. Plus, once you see them all, if you're anything like me you'll want to watch the commentaries too. I don't think any other channel will be showing the series, at least before the movie comes out.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
stridey said:
We only get a trilogy if enough people see the movie opening weekend (which means it's imperative that you bring *all* your friends)

I'll be there on opening day, helping the stats point to success :) I normally avoid first weekend, but I'll make an exception.

stridey said:
so I think they'll probably explore all three mysteries in Serenity, and leave brand new mysteries for future movies.

I hope not, because a TV show has the time to get into something in depth that a movie lacks--and packing all THREE mysteries into one movie would make that even worse. Could still be a good movie, but shallower and less involved than each of the 3 stories might deserve. I can see them TOUCHING on all 3 maybe, but not resolving them beginning-to-end. (Unless, that it, Book and Inara's mysteries are really pretty simple and there's not much story needed to tell them.)

And leaving some issues hanging can be a good way to generate interest in a sequel, too--as long as the MAIN storyline gets a conclusion.

Mr. Anderson said:
\Are there any other channels that will be showing the series, or should I just get the DVD set?

Well, the DVDs don't have ads :) And go to your library and ask--they probably already have the DVDs, and if not, you can request them because it's probably a matter of time (given their amazing popularity on DVD).

As for a future series... I'd like that even MORE than movie sequels. (Because movies take SO long to make, and only tell and episode-and-a-half worth of story. Albeit with a nice big budget.) Fox owns the TV rights, but I don't think that would stop Fox from accepting payment to allow another channel to make a new series. After all, I think Fox owned Buffy and Angel too, and they were never Fox shows.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
nagromme said:

Yes, that may be true but in the trailers when they have shots of all of the crew together on the bridge, Book isn't there, he's also not pictured here. Which all really makes me wonder. Of course it could be that they have him at the beginning of the movie and he decides to end his journey at one of their first ports, and then crosses paths with them again near the end in the setup for a sequel.

Man the end of September is too far away.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
FWIW, Inara's not in that shot you link to either. Must just have been a quick publicity shot with the people they could round up on the day, or something.

And I don't recall any trailer scenes that have everyone minus the Shepherd in the same scene either... but I'm resisting the temptation to go look now :)

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
nagromme said:
FWIW, Inara's not in that shot you link to either. Must just have been a quick publicity shot with the people they could round up on the day, or something.

And I don't recall any trailer scenes that have everyone minus the Shepherd in the same scene either... but I'm resisting the temptation to go look now :)

There is at least one where everyone is standing in the cockpit, minus Book of course. It's fairly early on in both trailers.

Now that I look again there are two scenes in the original trailer like this. One without Book and River, the second is only missing Book.

September is so far away.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Ok, now there's a third trailer available here. This one is on Apple's website and contains some info from both prior trailers and some new stuff. A little more is revealed about the plot so those trying to avoid spoilers may want to skip it. I still haven't seen Book, but as usual I have not yet done the frame by frame to look.

Enjoy.

62 days and counting, probably 63 for me and the wife catching a Saturday matinee.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Cool. I think I'll try to hold off and not watch EITHER of the new trailers unless I run into them at the movies. I already know more than I would like, just from what I can guess from the first trailer that isn't really stated :)

Interesting that Book is still not there. Whether it's a creative/marketing decision, or just a legal one.

sprstu

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
white bear lake, mn
tonight, 7/6c pm, sci-fi chanel. i think they are going to just start running the series, too bad I have school every weekday night.
If you havnt seen it, DO IT NOW!

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
sprstu said:
tonight, 7/6c pm, sci-fi chanel. i think they are going to just start running the series, too bad I have school every weekday night.
If you havnt seen it, DO IT NOW!

Actually they've been running it for three weeks already. This will be the third episode if you count the 2 hour premiere as only one. It was posted in this thread earlier in July. Episodes began on the 22nd.

Keep getting the word out though.

Edit:
It appears that in the final commercial break in each episode they run scenes from the movie. So those of you keeping away from spoilers watch out.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I will definitely go see this movie--I am a HUGE Buffy and Angel fan so I will support anything Joss Whedon has done. I will need to rent Firefly since I never watched it when it was on. Sounds very interesting!! :)

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
nagromme said:
"Tam sessions?"

These weird videos have been popping up on the Web--apparently NOT from the movie, but rather a backstory about River connected to it?

Anyone know of a link to all of them? Here's one:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2677821?htv=12&htv=12

Yeah, saw these on Slashdot, meant to check em out and post here but got a bit sidetracked. There is a complete listing here along with links to mirror sites. Also has them combined into one file in the order they are found on the net. A bit odd, moderately disturbing, probably shouldn't have watched them at 11:30 p.m. on a night when I'm home mostly alone.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Thanks for the link. 4 clips so far and more on the way. No doubt these will end up as a DVD special feature one day.

The combined movie of all 4 is about 15 MB QuickTime. Downloading...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
OK, yes, those are a little scary! I like the black and white. And it sounds to me like Joss Whedon is employed by that school...

The first one and the fourth one especially would be weird to just find online and not know the connection to Serenity!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Flash

The goodies keep a-comin'... a slick new Flash site--complete with ship tour, crew bios for all 9 (only minor spoilers), and even a Serenity cookbook. (Seriously! You can now make for yourself that awful swill they serve on board! Actually some of it doesn't sound too bad...)

http://serenitymovie.com/main_site.html

And there's a downloadable screensaver for Mac and Windows, plus some decent-res wallpapers. Maybe those were in the pre-Flash site too, I'm not sure.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
For those who have been watching it on Sci-Fi or even those who mean to and just haven't gotten around to it, I highly recommend tuning in tonight at 6:00 p.m. CST. The "Jaynestown" episode is one of my favorites and probably one of the funniest episodes made.

Record it, watch it, if you are confused, ask us questions here and we'll do our best to clarify, then watch it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.