Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
FoxyKaye said:
Had to pop this thread to the top again - Three more weeks, and I'm totally excited for the movie. IIRC, Book will be in the movie, he's just going to be planetside.

Here's the IMDB link, which has additional trivia and info on the movie.

There's also quite a bit of information here as posted earlier by nagromme. If you read the bios there are a couple of spoilers like (highlight to read) Inara is not renting the shuttle anymore. Which was always something that bothered me about the trailers since it looked like that hadn't changed, but considering how the first season ended.

Only 19 days left...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
this rules, anyone know when it's out in the uk?

i have been looking forward to it for nearly a year now.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
How many seasons was Serenity on TV? I hear it's got quite a fan base. I might just rent a few DVDs of it just to get a feel for the movie.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Hector said:
this rules, anyone know when it's out in the uk?

i have been looking forward to it for nearly a year now.

Try here. Release dates from around the world.

UK 22 August 2005 (Edinburgh Film Festival)
Ireland 24 August 2005 (Dublin) (premiere)
Australia 29 September 2005
USA 30 September 2005
Iceland 7 October 2005
UK 7 October 2005
France 19 October 2005
Switzerland 19 October 2005 (French speaking region)
Spain 21 October 2005
Italy 28 October 2005
Switzerland 28 October 2005 (Italian speaking region)
Belgium 9 November 2005
Mexico 11 November 2005
Sweden 11 November 2005
Argentina 17 November 2005
Hungary 17 November 2005
Netherlands 17 November 2005
Denmark 18 November 2005
Estonia 18 November 2005
Czech Republic 24 November 2005
Germany 24 November 2005
Switzerland 24 November 2005 (German speaking region)
Finland 25 November 2005
Norway 2 December 2005
Turkey 2 December 2005
Peru 29 December 2005

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Lacero said:
How many seasons was Serenity on TV? I hear it's got quite a fan base. I might just rent a few DVDs of it just to get a feel for the movie.
It got cancelled in it's first season. That, and Fox aired the ones they did show out of order. Then people started buying the DVDs and Fox kicked itself and decided to give a go ahead on the movie. There's more to it than that, but that about sums it up.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
solvs said:
It got cancelled in it's first season. That, and Fox aired the ones they did show out of order. Then people started buying the DVDs and Fox kicked itself and decided to give a go ahead on the movie. There's more to it than that, but that about sums it up.
I've heard that because of the set and SFX, each episode of Firefly cost in the ballpark of $2 million - Also, when it was cancelled the ratings were actually pretty good, IIRC in the top 25 prime-time shows. Something about ad revenue not matching episode expenses, which if you ask me is a pretty lame excuse.

The final DVD of the compiled Firefly season, as it was, has a lot of great extras and interviews that chronicle the show's cancellation, as well as demonstrate how much the original cast enjoyed working with Whedon.

Just found out that Whedon is doing Wonder Woman in 2007 as well...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Serenity for Tiger

The season was short--think of it like a long mini-series--but it DID come to an actual end, once seen in proper order. (Unlike the way it aired!) A number of threads were wrapped up--not in a big "series finale" way, but in a low-key way that settled some things... for the moment!

Yet plenty was still left open... for the movie to pick up from!

Don't forget to run the Serenity widget on your Dashboard :) Gotta remember to give the movie a successful opening so we get the sequels!

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=230

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i bought the DVD set this past weekend, wow, ive only gone through two discs so far, two to go, but now i am definitly getting hyped for the movie. shame such a good show was cancelled.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't own the DVDs (I had borrowed them before, and now I'm waiting for the Joss Whedon Blu-Ray Box Set :) ) but I just started getting them from Netflix today.

The DVDs are even more fun the second time, when you already know the characters well. I'm sure the movie, too, is better if you know the characters/backstory. (Even though it has been written for people who never heard of Firefly.)

I'd totally forgotten things like Book's initial reaction to life aboard Serenity, and some hints about the Companion's past right from the very beginning. Good to get a refresher before the weekend!

I'd also forgotten many of the funnier scenes--like the interrogation of Serenity's crew. Reminded me of Buffy's friends being interrogated by the Council. A quick montage showing who each character is in very few words.

And I saw something I'd never noticed before... a cameo of the Space Shuttle in the "Train Job." Is the U.S. Space Program THAT slow-moving? :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
FYI, review at The Onion A.V. Club: http://avclub.com/content/node/41051

I didn't read it for fear of spoilers (avoiding even minor ones now) but I caught enough to see them say it was very much an extension of the show. Which is a good thing! The show already was better than sci-fi movies tend to be--though it's hardly typical sci-fi, so hard to compare.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
nagromme said:
FYI, review at The Onion A.V. Club: http://avclub.com/content/node/41051

I didn't read it for fear of spoilers (avoiding even minor ones now) but I caught enough to see them say it was very much an extension of the show. Which is a good thing! The show already was better than sci-fi movies tend to be--though it's hardly typical sci-fi, so hard to compare.

Fear not, it is a very short review and there is nothing in it that I would consider a spoiler in any way if you have seen the Trailers.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Serenity, serenity, serenity. I'm so flipped excited I can't contain it. Tomorrow I'm getting up early, watching the series, and then going to see the movie. Mmmmm.... serenity....

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Thanks--the trailers do have more spoilers than I'd like... especially for people who haven't seen the series!

stridey said:
Tomorrow I'm getting up early, watching the series, and then going to see the movie.
Good thing it's a short series :eek: I'm going to the movie on Sunday and I only expect to have gotten through 2 of the 4 discs by then.

Now, should I hope the movie does well, so there are sequels... or does poorly so Joss Whedon ends up pitching it to the Sci-Fi channel as a new series :) I'd rather have a new series than just a double-episode every two years at the theater. But I don't blame Whedon for being fed up with networks.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Shiny

Empire have posted their review of the film here and they loved it. Empire is a big thing in the UK and they can make/break a movie on their review. I was worried that the film would slip under the radar, but that doesn't appear to be likely. Empire magazine also has a spread on the film and articles on Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau. Think this is going to be big...

<br>

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Badradio said:
Empire have posted their review of the film here and they loved it. Empire is a big thing in the UK and they can make/break a movie on their review. I was worried that the film would slip under the radar, but that doesn't appear to be likely. Empire magazine also has a spread on the film and articles on Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau. Think this is going to be big...

<br>
The review gave me shivers! I am going today!

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
jsw said:
The review gave me shivers! I am going today!
It's not out here until Thursday. :(
I flipped through the new magazine and was actually grinning when I saw all the coverage; my worst fears for the movie have not been realised.

<br>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.