Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Orson Scott Card's review

Orson Scott Card (author of Ender's Game--a great book) says:

"I'm not going to say it's the best science fiction movie, ever.

Oh, wait. Yes I am.

...And I'll tell you this right now: If Ender's Game can't be this kind of movie, and this good a movie, then I want it never to be made.

I'd rather just watch Serenity again.

...It will feel like adventure, like a bunch of macho strutting, like a lot of whizbang and dead bodies and violence and vaguely weird language until all of a sudden you realize: I care about these people. I like these people. Even the unlikeable ones, I care about. Even the villain really is somebody."

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-09-30-extra.shtml
(WARNING: a few plot spoilers)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Stream

You can now watch the first 9 minutes (up to "Where are you hiding, little girl?") online:
http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html

It seems to be exactly as in the theater, not edited. (Which means it's only the intro part, very different in tone from the rest of the movie--the humor is missing!--but still cool to stream... it even worked more or less on my dial-up, at the small size. Space bar to pause/play.)

It says "coming soon" because it's Universal's non-US marketing, I think. (That's why the poster's different also.) But it IS in theaters now for those of us in the States, and a few other places :)

Also, here's a good "making of" article. It covers sets, computer graphics FX, etc. (and it contains SPOILERS since it discusses specific scenes):

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/serenity.htm

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
OK, The Digital Bits is reporting that the Serenity DVD will be released on December 20th.

While I'm (sorta) happy about this, I have to ask: Less than 3 months between the theatrical RELEASE and the DVD release? No wonder the theatre industry in the US are crapping their pants... people aren't going to spend a ton of money going to the theatres if they know they can get the same movie on DVD for $14.99 in just a few months.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Well it IS a rumor, not real info... sounds much like a MacRumors rumor actually :p

I've decided that I hope NO more movies are made! Although the movie is great and goes beyond what TV could ever do, I've been enjoying the TV DVDs too much. I'd rather see dozens of hours of these characters on the Sci-Fi channel (or whatever) than four hours of them on the big screen. And Joss Whedon recently said that ALL options are open for the future: TV and movie alike. Joss hasn't been treated well by the broadcast networks, but cable stations are free to be more creative. (I can imagine 3 revenue streams helping to pay for a new series: cable TV, reruns on a regular network, and DVD sales/rentals.)

But Universal seems to be in no hurry to make the sequel decision, and I don't expect real news anytime soon. If a sequel or two get made, that would be fun.

EDIT: some more "making of" links (SPOILERS!):

http://www.vfxblog.com/vfx/2005/10/rhythm_hues_bud.html

http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/article?article_id=2252&page=2

This one's good--it's about how director Joss Whedon did some things that conventional wisdom said were impossible... and brought the movie in under budget without having to take production overseas:
http://www.latimes.com/business/cus...t9oct09,0,2056150.htmlstory?coll=la-tot-promo

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i just saw it today at a small crappy screen, the sound quality was awful as for the film i go allong with what others say, first 30 mins or so slow but then it really takes off.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The first 10 minutes is pretty traditional sci-fi... then after that, I think the best comparison is Indiana Jones. Action with a sense of humor.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Opened at #1 in the U.K., beating movies that had a larger number of screens. Worldwide it's doing well for sci-fi movie, and without any big name actors to mindlessly seek out, that's saying something!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
nagromme said:
Opened at #1 in the U.K., beating movies that had a larger number of screens. Worldwide it's doing well for sci-fi movie, and without any big name actors to mindlessly seek out, that's saying something!

how dare you say a baldwin brother isn't a huge name actor, blasphemy

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
eva01 said:
how dare you say a baldwin brother isn't a huge name actor, blasphemy
Oh, you fair-weather fan, you... he isn't one of those Baldwins! No relation at all! Don't you spend your days reading the fan sites? ;)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
jsw said:
Oh, you fair-weather fan, you... he isn't one of those Baldwins! No relation at all! Don't you spend your days reading the fan sites? ;)

of course not i just love to make coments like that :p cause its fun

and trust me on this one if i am a fan of the red sox by no means am i a fair-weather fan of anything

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
eva01 said:
of course not i just love to make coments like that :p cause its fun

and trust me on this one if i am a fan of the red sox by no means am i a fair-weather fan of anything
Only if you were a fan of the Red Sox before last year. ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
eva01 said:
I live in MA so its obvious i have been a red sox fan since the day of my birth
Wow... they start 'em young here. I wasn't a Cardinal fan until I was 2. And my grandfather was signed to pitch for them.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
nagromme said:
Final numbers are in: Serenity did unusually well for a sci-fi movie's second weekend. It kept more than half its audience. Looks like it's enough of a hit with non-Firefly-fans to stay around a while!

http://whedonesque.com/comments/8436

Well, its not on all that many screens compared to some major movies, but at $18+ million for the gross for two weekends, it seems a little on the weak side. I don't think it will make over $100 million - and will that be enough to see other Serenity movies in the theaters?

D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't think we'll know that for a while, but the numbers aren't disapointing to Universal, from what they've said. Some movies never make back their cost in theaters, and then maybe turn a profit on DVD sales. This one is likely to make back its cost in theaters (it was made very efficiently--Universal likes Whedon for that!) and THEN is bound to have good DVD sales. Plus, Whedon's name will be bigger next time around, with Wonder Woman and other projects. And sequels tend to make more than the original.

So Universal has said there is no simple factor that will make the decision on sequels, but I'd say it's very possible at least.

And it has done well per-screen, for a sci-fi movie, while costing less to make than most sci-fi movies. It's too bad it didn't open on more screens, and it's too bad they advertised "the creator of Buffy" which most people (myself included, for years) have a serious misunderstanding about. They think it's the worst kind of crap (which the movie was, but not the TV show) and so it's a negative to many people that the Serenity ads said that.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
The UK figures are in; number 1 is pretty good. I know it only took 960K, but not bad for the UK, and ALL of my friends who are into FireFly are waitiing until next weekend it see it. That strange pattern, and the fact that it made number one, could attract more people to see it, meaning there's a chance it could do better on the second weekend.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
By informal poll at whedonesque.com, very few US theaters are dropping the movie. (Some of course are showing it at fewer times, to make room for new releases.)

Things are looking tentatively shiny for the long, slow "sleeper" run that Serenity deserves to get.

And the positive reviews keep rolling in. Even someone high up at Lucasfilm posted a rave review.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Extremely favorable reviews of this movie just keep coming.

And Serenity is Stephen King's pick of the week :p

http://www.stephenking.com/stephens_picks.php

Also, the numbers are in: only 22% of theaters are dropping the movie for week 3. That's not bad--most are keeping it showing despite new "big name" (Doom??? :rolleyes: ) movies coming that need screens.

So if you've missed it, you've got more chances :)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
nagromme said:
Also, the numbers are in: only 22% of theaters are dropping the movie for week 3. That's not bad--most are keeping it showing despite new "big name" (Doom??? :rolleyes: ) movies coming that need screens.

Wow...Star Wars was in theaters for about a year, and now lasting more than two weeks is good? Well, I guess that's what 28 years plus VCRs and DVD players will do...kinda sad though.

--Eric

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
More than two weeks is VERY good, because two weeks is the initial commitment of the theater--after that, they only keep it if it's doing well enough. For more than 3/4 of theaters, it is :)

Not bad for a movie with some marketing challenges--it doesn't jump out at the mindless public the way big name stars would. Plus, most people (including me initially) assume very BAD things about the Buffy series and don't realize it's serious and respected. So when they know the movie is by THAT guy it drives a lot of people away. And then other people think the movie is just for people who have seen the show, which it's not.

Now, running for a year would be better still :)

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
I am reading teh book.

nagromme said:
You can now watch the first 9 minutes (up to "Where are you hiding, little girl?") online:
http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html

It seems to be exactly as in the theater, not edited. (Which means it's only the intro part, very different in tone from the rest of the movie--the humor is missing!--but still cool to stream... it even worked more or less on my dial-up, at the small size. Space bar to pause/play.)

It says "coming soon" because it's Universal's non-US marketing, I think. (That's why the poster's different also.) But it IS in theaters now for those of us in the States, and a few other places :)

Also, here's a good "making of" article. It covers sets, computer graphics FX, etc. (and it contains SPOILERS since it discusses specific scenes):

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/serenity.htm
I just saw this clip full screen on my 20" APPLE ACD, It was perfect. The book is the same - word for word.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That opening is great - I missed the first minute of the movie, so it really helped seeing it.

It also explained one thing that had been bothering me for a while and that was how they got to all the planets - I thought it was different solar systems but it seems it was all the same solar system. Wild - so no FTL drives - but with some of the special effects, it almost seemed as though Serenity was going faster.

I'm surprised that there hadn't been any mention of contact with earth - because if they could terra form other planets, Mars and Venus could probably be done as well. There's so much potential in this 'verse, I wonder if we'll see any more of the history.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.