Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The white ceramic will always be my favorite Apple Watch finish. I was waiting for the platform to mature a little bit more before investing to that level in the Watch, and of course now that I consider it mature enough they don't even make the ceramic anymore. I hope they bring it back with a future iteration.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
According to the presentation book that came with the Series 3 Ceramic, I think it takes Apple 2 years to ready all the ceramic cases that are gonna be used for production.

I think it said that. I’ll have to go back and check.

Reactions: iosgino

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
Thought I‘d say hello, better late than never ;-)

I hope they‘ll bring ceramic back at some point, it’s definitely the nicest model if you ask me and it took me some time to find one to add to my watch family

iwater

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
Another S5 Ceramic owner here… I love it so much but these days it doesn’t get much use due to my S7s but I’m glad to have it and hope they release it again this fall! One can hope!

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
Another S5 Ceramic owner here… I love it so much but these days it doesn’t get much use due to my S7s but I’m glad to have it and hope they release it again this fall! One can hope!
I care less about the newer tech, more about the materials used, so my S5 Ceramic and the S5 SBTi get by far the most wrist time :)
But a new Ceramic model would be great!

• Love
Reactions: geekiemac and larzy

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
Thought I‘d say hello, better late than never ;-)

I hope they‘ll bring ceramic back at some point, it’s definitely the nicest model if you ask me and it took me some time to find one to add to my watch family
Congrats again! Somehow the ceramic is the ultimate "catch"... and I agree, it's a pleasure to wear these beautiful watches!

Reactions: bricktop_at

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
I care less about the newer tech, more about the materials used, so my S5 Ceramic and the S5 SBTi get by far the most wrist time :)
But a new Ceramic model would be great!
Did you have a Ceramic S2 or S3? There was far more actual coloured “ceramic” on those watches than just the white ceramic edges on the S5.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
Did you have a Ceramic S2 or S3? There was far more actual coloured “ceramic” on those watches than just the white ceramic edges on the S5.
I still have an S2, I‘m with you in terms of the case and actually prefer the older look a lot

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I have my theory about this.... they stopped manufacturing the ceramic case for the S6 in preparation for the next iteration which was maybe planned for the S7. Maybe something like this was also the reason why the S4 didn't get a ceramic edition.
Since the S7 didn't come with a major redesign, for whatever reason, the new ceramic case is waiting to be used in the S8.

It's not much, but it's my theory :p

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I have my theory about this.... they stopped manufacturing the ceramic case for the S6 in preparation for the next iteration which was maybe planned for the S7. Maybe something like this was also the reason why the S4 didn't get a ceramic edition.
Since the S7 didn't come with a major redesign, for whatever reason, the new ceramic case is waiting to be used in the S8.

It's not much, but it's my theory :p

FWIW I don‘t think ceramic will ever come back. Just like the S0 real gold models, the ceramic models always carried a whiff of „Sir Jony wants this“. The new, more pragmatic post-Ive Apple probably looked at this and concluded „difficult to produce, small numbers sold … if you want luxury, get Hermès“.

• Angry
Reactions: nattK and travis64

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
FWIW I don‘t think ceramic will ever come back. Just like the S0 real gold models, the ceramic models always carried a whiff of „Sir Jony wants this“. The new, more pragmatic post-Ive Apple probably looked at this and concluded „difficult to produce, small numbers sold … if you want luxury, get Hermès“.
Yeah sure, that also might be the case. I hope not though... because "hard to manufacture and small numbers sold" is that kind of luxury that really appeals to me - much more than paying premium money for some extra watch-faces and leather bands that I can purchase anyway if I were into them.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
"hard to manufacture and small numbers sold" is that kind of luxury that really appeals to me

The ceramic Watch is (was?) a very nice product, but re-read your description above - does that really sound like Apple to you? Better cherish that S5 that still looks quite modern/up-to-date …

Reactions: geekiemac

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
The ceramic Watch is (was?) a very nice product, but re-read your description above - does that really sound like Apple to you? Better cherish that S5 that still looks quite modern/up-to-date …
I do cherish the S5 indeed and it‘s definitely a keeper.

Sure it doesn’t sound like Apple, but there is an (albeit small) market for watch enthusiasts I guess and I hope they realize that.

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
I’m agree with you, ceramic Watch born thanks to Ive, like link bracelet and others homages to best known designers.
Lost Ive, lost Apple creativy, not because Ive was the only one designer, but Ive had the point of what Apple designed products would be.
As a decades owner I can recognize the Ive touch (or agreement) on products, and seems its no more in actual products, that are, at it best, ah homage to Ive works, but not yet developed from him or under him sight.

Reactions: the future

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
how come they didn't make ceramic for the 6 or 7?
If you got a Ceramic S3 then it came with a book explaining the manufacturing process. Inside the book it explains that for the Ceramic S3 (and Ceramic S2) it took 2 years for Apple to make all of the ceramic cases for the watches.

That could also be true for Ceramic S5 because if it also took 2 years to manufacture then that would explain why there was no Ceramic S4. Due to the case size change for the S4 the ceramic cases wouldn't have been manufactured in time.

With the S6 we saw a slight case change and the same with the S7. So going by the 2 year ceramic manufacture process, that could be a reason why a Ceramic S6 & S7 were never made.

EDIT: Just checked the book and it doesn’t mention the 2 year process in there. I’ll have to find where I heard it.
C6236D1F-5360-4FB0-BEC7-3C67DF64F647.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: zachleft

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I have S3 38mm with Applecare+ expiring this June.
Keep holding it with cracked screen for a while now.
Hoping Apple would replace it with S5 instead, like what they did with S0 stainless to S2 stainless when they don't produce old models anymore.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
I have S3 38mm with Applecare+ expiring this June.
Keep holding it with cracked screen for a while now.
Hoping Apple would replace it with S5 instead, like what they did with S0 stainless to S2 stainless when they don't produce old models anymore.
They still sell the S3, I'm sure they have tons of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.