sabotage a G5!

MRU

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Anyway to make a G5 develop a fault without it being 'suspicious' ;) :D

Would running without the side on the machine do it?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
MacRumorUser said:
Anyway to make a G5 develop a fault without it being 'suspicious' ;) :D

Would running without the side on the machine do it?
Set an ice cold drink on top of the machine. Use a coaster that doesn't work well.

Wait for condensation to do its thing.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I'm sure a little Sprite on the CPU would help, but why would you wanna sabotage anyone smarter than you?:D

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Josias said:
I'm sure a little Sprite on the CPU would help, but why would you wanna sabotage anyone smarter than you?:D
My guess is something to do with perhaps being close to being out of warranty. If it can be damaged without appearing to have been tampered with, the possibility of the intel model to replace it would be on the cards.

MRU

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
Other
steve_hill4 said:
My guess is something to do with perhaps being close to being out of warranty. If it can be damaged without appearing to have been tampered with, the possibility of the intel model to replace it would be on the cards.
Yep its been repaired 3 times before due to proper faults, but when i asked apple to replace the machine on the third time, they decided to change the definition of repair and called one of the previous times a 'service' :rolleyes:

So 1 more repair and it can be replaced with a macpro....

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
steve_hill4 said:
Apple wouldn't give you an Intel model. I work with a friend who has the G5 iMac from right before they made it a bit slimmer and she brought in her power supply and it actually has burn marks on it from catching fire. Apple just replaces it with the same part every time. So Apple will have plenty of parts from the G5 to fix your machine. You're doomed to fail.

Daniel.

MRU

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
Other
BurtonCCC said:
Apple wouldn't give you an Intel model. I work with a friend who has the G5 iMac from right before they made it a bit slimmer and she brought in her power supply and it actually has burn marks on it from catching fire. Apple just replaces it with the same part every time. So Apple will have plenty of parts from the G5 to fix your machine. You're doomed to fail.

Daniel.
No on your third repair you can get a full 'refund'.. That refund pays for a macpro.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Glen Quagmire said:
So you want to commit fraud? Classy.
Call me what you will, but I don't blame him/her. If I have to send something in once for repair, that's one time too many IMO. I think a refund is reasonable compensation for the trouble and if this is the only way to do it, it's worth the risk.

Just my two cents. :)

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
someguy said:
If I have to send something in once for repair, that's one time too many IMO.
So if the A/C breaks in your car, you consider it to be unacceptable?

Any given company can't be expected to produce completely perfect products that never break. This is why we have warranties and the like.

MRU

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
Other
someguy said:
Call me what you will, but I don't blame him/her. If I have to send something in once for repair, that's one time too many IMO. I think a refund is reasonable compensation for the trouble and if this is the only way to do it, it's worth the risk.

Just my two cents. :)
The fact that Apple replaced the processor and decided that does not constitute a 'repair' is what really peeved me off.

I have had 3 repairs whether Apple admit it or not, logic board, gfaphics card failure, processor (all of them replaced) ... I mean what more can go wrong in a machine ?

TBH - i wouldnt have the nerve/neck to sabotage the machine in reality anyway...

tutelary

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2006
Does Apple pull this kind of crap a lot? I dont have a mac yet and its kind of worrying. I mean hell I can build and service my own pcs.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
CoMpX said:
So if the A/C breaks in your car, you consider it to be unacceptable?

Any given company can't be expected to produce completely perfect products that never break. This is why we have warranties and the like.
Warranties are great and repairs are fine. If the A/C went out in my car, and it was a new car, that'd be unacceptable, yes. If it went out in MY actually car, I wouldn't be surprised. :p

My point is that we all pay a premium for these machines. After two or three repairs (or even "services"), I think it's about time something be done to make the client happy.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
someguy said:
Warranties are great and repairs are fine. If the A/C went out in my car, and it was a new car, that'd be unacceptable, yes. If it went out in MY actually car, I wouldn't be surprised. :p

My point is that we all pay a premium for these machines. After two or three repairs (or even "services"), I think it's about time something be done to make the client happy.
I completely agree. But I think the statement that one repair is too much is a bit much to expect of any company, of course depending on the product they are selling.

MRU

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
Other
CoMpX said:
I completely agree. But I think the statement that one repair is too much is a bit much to expect of any company, of course depending on the product they are selling.
Not if they state that's what they will do when you take out their extended warranty in the terms and conditions. Apple state that 3 repairs and the customer is entitled to a new replacement or a refund.

Only to move the boundries/definitions when it suits...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
It's already been in for repair 3 times, so he's in his full right to get a MacPro. He just has to pull loose/slash a tiny internal cable that will crack up the system...:D

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Put something large and metal inside, like a screwdriver, right on top the logic board. Put it somewhere where if it catches on fire, it won't damage anthing (like in the middle of the garage or something) and switch it on for a few hours.

MRU

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Killyp said:
Put something large and metal inside, like a screwdriver, right on top the logic board. Put it somewhere where if it catches on fire, it won't damage anthing (like in the middle of the garage or something) and switch it on for a few hours.
:eek: Not a chance !!!

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
MacRumorUser said:
Not if they state that's what they will do when you take out their extended warranty in the terms and conditions. Apple state that 3 repairs and the customer is entitled to a new replacement or a refund.

Only to move the boundries/definitions when it suits...
Is there actual documentation of this? Because my MBP is fresh off of repair #2 and I imagine something else will go wrong with it in the next 3 years, hopefully post merom update (although I would never break anything on purpose, it is just that from my experiance something will break all on its own!), and being able to bust out "well section C234-4546DF-$%-SDF!@#$-234 of the apple repair code of honor says that I get a refund" would be a nice tool to have on my side...

MaxPower2k6

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
If there's any Apple RAM in the machine, putting one of the sticks in the microwave for 1 second should do the trick. Should work on hard drives, too, but you'd have to be cool with losing all of your data.