Safari 3 - Anyone switched to it full time?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SilentCrs, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Are you going back to Safari?

1. Yes

175 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

I've been a long-time Firefox user (both Mac and PC). Because of my recent Leopard Erase and Install, I got a change to use Safari briefly. I was mostly going to just download FireFox and work from there, but I paused for awhile while using it. Safari just seems faster now and -- more importantly -- it works on sites it didn't before (like Yahoo Mail). Stuff like clipping for Dashboard is a nice touch.

Does anyone going back to Safari, or are most still sticking to Camino/Firefox?

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Based on the polls here on MacRumors for browser choice, Safari is by far the dominant choice, not Camino/Firefox. So "most" are using Safari, have been for some time, and will continue to do so.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I switched full time ever since they released the beta but i was only switching from Safari 2. Really don't like FF.

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

FF takes too long to come up!
    I always used Safari for everyday browsing!

6. iChadTTU macrumors newbie

Safari is much faster then it was on Tiger. I'm very happy with it.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Been using Netscape Navigator 9 lately, but that became to unstable after upgrading to Leopard, so I went back to Firefox 2 (though I might go for the FF3 beta whenever that is ready).

Safari needs some finer control over plug-ins built in, making it possible to get rid of unwanted flash contents (on selected sites), without turning off plug-ins altogether...

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, Safari is great.

The worst Safari ever was Panther's. I had went to Firefox with it, but even with Tiger I came back to Safari, despite it needing improvement still.

Now it is fantastic. Love Safari 3 on Leopard.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hated Safari before, but it's great in Leopard. I'm using it instead of Camino at the moment.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Like powerbook911, I switched to Firefox in Panther, though I stayed with it for Tiger (it actually was an even more solid choice then for me), but now I have come back to it and I'm using it mostly now. It feels a lot smoother and, dare I say, "snappier" than it did before, and certainly more so than Firefox. However, I will keep Firefox in my dock and use it for some sites, and look forward to trying out Firefox 3 when it comes out (tried the betas, but not interested in using them full-time).

jW

11. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not going back to Safari, but skipping Firefox/Camino. Omniweb all the way for me =]

12. Project macrumors 68020

I think I am going to switch back to Safari.

The main reason is that Firefox 2 is just horrific.

The other reasons are to do with OSX integration

- RSS feed syncing with Mail
    - Bookmark syncing with iPhone
    - WebClip integration with Dashboard
    - Web history searchable in Spotlight
    - Spell and Grammar check

etc etc

13. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I've been a long-standing Firefox user on PC and Mac. I quickly dismissed Safari after switching to a Mac about 18 months ago.

I've given Safari another try since upgrading to Leopard on Friday, and I'm loving it. I doubt that I'll even bother installing Firefox now.

14. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

There is only one thing stopping me from using Safari... I can't set multiple homepages. In Firefox, as soon as I open it, I have 5 tabs with my homepages. Is there any way I can do this in Safari and I just can't find it??

15. Project macrumors 68020

My only issue with Safari is the tabs. Anybody else find the text on them incredibly hard to read because of how dark the grey is?

16. torpy macrumors regular

Coming from Firefox on XP/Vista, of course the natural choice was the same on Tiger, but v3 is just so much easier to use! Plus it pops up in half the time.

The only gripe I have is that when you have too many tabs, you can't scroll through them the way you do with 'fox, it just shows a drop-down menu on the right..

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I was using the beta in Tiger and loved it. It's almost exactly the same in Leopard. All the 3rd party plug-in devs just need to fix the plug-ins to work with Leopards safari.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's what Cmd+Shift+Right or Left Bracket is for. :D

19. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Safari 3 is my browser of choice, but Firefox is always "installed", just in case...

20. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I've been a long-time camino user, but Safari 3 has won me back. :)

21. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

I switched to Safari 3 the first day they released the beta. Only problems I've had are about 2 lockups.

22. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

Never had that problem.

23. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I have stopped using firefox and switched full time to camino because firefox takes too long to start up.

But now i'm using both camino and safari, trying them both our first for a little bit to see which i like. Safari has gotten a whole let better i think i may stick with that.

24. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I use safari full time and its starting to grow on me. Right now I would be thrilled to use it if only it had the option to open links into new tabs instead of having to hold down the command button too.

25. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Safari 3 is amazing and I am quite pleased with it. I just wish I could use Pithhelmet with it, but it should be coming soon. Before I installed Leopard I used Camino, but it's not worth it now.