Safari 4.0 changes, for better or worse?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoeKozy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JoeKozy macrumors member

I've just installed the final build of Safari 4 (as opposed to the beta). The most obvious change is abandoning the tabs-on-top-of-window concept, as well as the right hand side of the address bar coming up with a 'loading' section when pages are loading, but as far as i can tell it doesn't provide a true progress bar.

Anyone noticed any other changes?

2. MaskingTape macrumors regular

Really annoyed that the tabs aren't on top anymore. Should be an option. I'm sure there is a plist edit for it but argh.

3. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

4. tecknical macrumors regular

so many more people were really annoyed that the tabs weren't on the bottom anymore when the beta came out.

5. MaskingTape macrumors regular

So give an option then. Why flip flop the location during the beta and the final?

6. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

7. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I loved having the tabs on the top!!!

Why did they change that?

8. rerelease macrumors regular

I seriously miss tabs on top. If I can't find a beta install, I'm switching browsers.

Small thing, but I used three-finger gesture for going the top or bottom of page (cmd+down/up) and it was instant, now it scrolls through the page.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Probably because there were so many complaints. I actually liked the tabs better on top. Oh well...

10. hogprint macrumors regular

hogprint

give me my tabs on top back. it was the only reason i was using safari.

11. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

the whole top part seems to be a bit darker to me.... Maybe it's just with the tabs back on the bottom.

12. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

a lot less people than some seem to think. ;)

13. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Not particularly enjoying this so far.

1. It's definitely darker, more like Safari 3. It's also much harder to read.
    2. It seems a lot slower than the last beta was.
    3. The loading image is really obnoxious.
    4. The caching bug is still there. If you hard-refresh a page, every page on that site will reload every element every time you view a new page (for example, if you refresh a page on a forum, every time you view a new page on that same forum it will reload every image). Try it.

Sort of want to go back to the beta.

14. siphyn87 macrumors member

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

is preview function fixed? it used to eat as much as 6GB+ HDD space, is it fixed now?

16. Frizzles macrumors newbie

Anyone knows how to get the progress bar in the final version again? IT worked fine in the beta but now it doesn't :(

17. JoeKozy thread starter macrumors member

On a more positive note, widgets in igoogle never seemed to work properly with the beta (for me anyway) with widgets being deleted yet reappearing after a refresh, this seems to be fixed in the new version

18. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

i also missed the top-tabs - i really liked those

i also liked the way that the beta handled lots of tabs.
    for example, at the moment my Safari4 window is wide enough to show 9 tabs. I have 30 tabs open.
    In the beta, it'd display three ... at the right edge - and when you clicked on it, it'd list all the tabs currently visible. if i clicked on, say, tab 25, then i'm sure it'd change the tabs that were visible to tabs 16 thru 25. Now it just displays tab 25 where tab 9 was.

still - it's running nice and fast so far. i'm sure the beta was the reason why my imac used to grind to a halt

19. Can macrumors member

The Safari 4 (final) release is really a step backwards in UI design compared to the public beta.

This is sad news on such a otherwise nice apple day. :(

20. Qwertylizer macrumors regular

I agree. The best thing in Safari and they had to ruin it? Auts. But I have to say that the final version is faster than beta.

I hope they will put those nice tabs back on top.

21. LennyX macrumors newbie

Sucks about the tabs no longer being on top. I hope it's still a hidden preference, otherwise I'll be switching to Chrome

22. acxz macrumors regular

The tabs on top was a stupid idea, thank goodness it's gone.

I really like Safari 4. Has replaced Firefox for me, but we'll have to wait and see how long that lasts. I was enjoying an ad-less internet for a very long time before today.

23. Can macrumors member

I can't stand the fat top-bar. I'm switching back to beta. The new loading bar is nice however. What a shame. :(

24. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

as a firefox user, im happy to see they finally put the bookmarks in the menubar. still wish i could change the link clicking tab behavior.

25. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Tabs on top rocked, only fuddy duddy retro purists would think otherwise.