Safari 5 problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RetroKiddd, Jun 8, 2010.

1. RetroKiddd macrumors newbie

I just downloaded Safari 5 & I've ben having a few problems; when I try to log into certain sites,I'm unable to sign in & there's an app on the site & it doesn't show up.

Before I updated,I was logged in & everything was fine,after I updated,I started to have problems.

I rebooted the first time that was mandatory (sp?) & I did it the 2nd time to see if it would fix anything & I restarted Safari as well. I don't have Time Machine on so I can't go back or anything. & I read somewhere that it could be because that private browsing thing is on,but its not.
    Everything works fine on FireFox(I'm able to log in,etc.),but Safari is being such a bitch.

Is there any way to fix this?

2. zztype macrumors newbie

I'm having similary problems to RetroKid. I'm posting from Firefox right now. Safari 5, installed twice, rebooted 3 times, will not display ANY web page. Gets stuck loading at http:// ... that is all it will progress.

Can't find download to downgrade. Everything points to Safari 5 download any more.

Anxiously awaiting more info. Mac OS X 10.5.8, PowerMac 2.0 G5 Dual with 4 gigs RAM, terabytes of storage.

3. jennyquatro macrumors newbie

jennyquatro

I downloaded Safari 5 on my iMac and it won't even open! Thank goodness I have a MacBook. Should have known better. :(

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Same. No problems. The reader feature is rather cool, but I don't like the rest of the changes.

6. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Anyone else experiencing wayy higher temps?

I've been hovering around 82*C all morning

7. madasasnake macrumors newbie

I've downloaded Safari 5 this morning and can't open it all!!
    I'm posting this from a PC.
    Being a relatively recent convert to Mac - is there anything i can do to restore my machine to how it was a couple of hours ago (ie: without Safari 5) ?
    If not - what can i do?
    Thanks in anticipation.

8. york2 macrumors newbie

I'm having problems completing forms with Safari 5. It wants to have data in all fields even if it is not necessary.

9. jeff66 macrumors newbie

I downloaded it and it don't work! Is there anyway of getting the old version back?

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It seems slower to load for me. It hangs for a few seconds then loads the page in stages. Slower than 4. :(

EDIT: There are also a few visual problems too. Not sure if it HTML5 related or not but the scrolling banner thingy on BBC website no longer works.

Attached Files:

11. nielsll macrumors newbie

Reader feature crashes Safari every time I try to employ.

12. madasasnake macrumors newbie

Hi again,
    I've just sorted it.
    Its not too much of a chore if you have the original discs.
    If you close down Safari and drag it (from applications) to the trash.
    Put in the original Mac OS Install DVD and open
    Open Finder, then go to "Go"
    Then go to "Go to Folder"
    Then paste: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages
    It will go straight to the Safari software that came with your computer.
    Then re-install it
    Mine is now working again
    Thank God.
    Good Luck:)

13. Mac Head macrumors member

14. nwriko macrumors newbie

major problems for me as well

thx madasasnake!

doesn't crash but it is WAY too slow at times it stops completely.. RSS feeds are the worst. weird that apple would make such a blunder. i moved to firefox

15. mavix macrumors newbie

I should have know better and waited, it's always the same with software upgrades...

Posting from Firefox now. Safari 5 won't display any web page or open new windows. On open New Tab it crashes.

Please, anybody have a link to downgrade? I don't have the original discs with me and this will affect my whole work day.

Mac OS X 10.5.8, MacBook Pro 2,53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Thanks!

16. RetroKiddd thread starter macrumors newbie

If I download the old Safari from here,would it work?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/dl877

BTW,if I reinstall Safari (I have the disks),will I still have my bookmarks & such still saved on Safari? Or will it be erased?

17. mavix macrumors newbie

That link will redirect you to Safari 5. They ALL do.

18. RetroKiddd thread starter macrumors newbie

That sucks. I hope Apple sends out a new update to fix the bugs. :(

19. madasasnake macrumors newbie

Hi Retrokiddd
    I didn't have time to consider that as I had no internet access at all - so I just had to hope for the best!
    But you will be pleased to know that all Bookmarks etc are saved!
    The only thing that changes is that it reverts to the Apple Home Page - which takes about 5 seconds to reset to your preferred choice.

20. RetroKiddd thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not too computer saavy,so the reinstalling is quite easy,right?
    The instructions seem pretty simple.

21. madasasnake macrumors newbie

Nor am I!
    It was very simple in the end.
    I got stuck trying to drag Safari 5 into the trash when it was still open (only in the sense that it was in the bar at the top of the screen).
    I force quit it and it was ok from then.
    When you cut and paste the link - it will take a couple of seconds to open the relevant section of the DVD and the Safari file will be in the middle of the window.
    It was very easy indeed.

22. RetroKiddd thread starter macrumors newbie

After Safari is reinstalled,will it have the ability to update like it did before reinstalling? Or will it stay stuck in the version that was reinstalled?

23. jeff66 macrumors newbie

It has buggered me right up! I reinstalled from the disk, then when I open safari, it tells me the version is too new for my system!

24. madasasnake macrumors newbie

I tried to update after re-installing to try and get to the latest version of Safari 4 (whichever number that was) and was told that there were no software upgrades available!
    I wondered whether that was because the Apple site was detecting that I had previously downloaded Safari 5 - because it didn't even offer me that!
    It may be linked to the other posts on this thread - ie) that there are no longer any links to download Safari 4, which do not re-direct you to Safari 5.
    But whatever the position is - I am far better off than I was with a completely malfunctioning Safari 5!
    Sorry I can't be of more help on that one.

25. jeff66 macrumors newbie

Had to go over to firefox... It is a real pain in the rear! I need the net for work. Loosing lots of time today, Thanks Apple!:confused::(