Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced (via a news release) that more than 1 million copies of Safari for Windows were downloaded in the first 48 hours since the free public beta was made available on Monday.

Many see Apple's release of Safari for Windows as an opportunity for Apple further attract customers to the Mac, while also raising usage of its Safari web browser, which would theoretically require more website developers to ensure that their sites work properly with Safari.

In related news, Apple today updated the Safari for Windows beta to 3.0.1, which patches some of the security flaws that were recently discovered in the software.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Just for curiosity does anyone know how many downloads firefox gets in that ammount of time after a new release?

mickeymikey

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2007
Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...

The strategy makes sense to precede the iPhone, etc., but it can't be good for many potential switchers' first "MacOS" experience to be on what appears to be an unstable beta on Windows.

The Red Wolf

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Occi Dens Pacifica
Impressive

Ever since Safari was announced originally for the Mac, I felt that there was hope for the modern browser. To see it running without errors on a Windows XP Pro machine I have at work is quite nice... Beta as it may be with bugs found and more surely to be found, it's still impressive to me.

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
I'm assuming most of them were downloaded by people who already use a mac. On a work computer or a 2nd machine at home, or even onto one or more windows virtual machines on a MacIntel. Nevertheless, it's going to get more and more exposure in the near future. As soon as it becomes useable on XP, downloads and usage of Safari on Windows should skyrocket.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Even that patch from Apple is not a bad thing as it shows Windows is FULL of holes and the OSX version didnt need patching. :D

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I wonder how many were downloads of the update for users that downloaded the original version.

-=|Mgkwho

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I'm assuming most of them were downloaded by people who already use a mac. On a work computer or a 2nd machine at home, or even onto one or more windows virtual machines on a MacIntel. Nevertheless, it's going to get more and more exposure in the near future. As soon as it becomes useable on XP, downloads and usage of Safari on Windows should skyrocket.

Exactly what I was going to say. I was asking people since Monday if they had heard of Safari for windows and they're going through "What's Safari" phase. It'll take some time untill more and more new ipod users download it and actually spread the word.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
You see, even Windows users know Apple software can be trusted to be high quality. (Although the beta flaws were surprising, but then its Windows)! :) :D
It's not really surprising at all, in fact Apple typically releases very rough/buggy versions of first-generation software (and hardware). Eventually they get it right, but the first versions are almost always sketchy, personally I try to avoid them (just like I'll be waiting for iPhone 2.0 and Apple TV 2.0).

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
That's my thought too.

I guess the proof will be in if Safari's share of the browser market actually increases or not...

Stupid me - I downloaded it to my IBM laptop. It's a piece of ****. There are no menus (no text anyway). I opened it several times to make sure, rebooted (as you have to do in Windows, as we all know, when things don't work), and still, no menus. Piece of ****.

SoldOutMatinee

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas
Shouldn't it be closer to two million in 48 hours since Jobs said a million iTunes are downloaded a day and Safari is bundled with iTunes,right?...... :confused:

Still, that's impressive.

paulMASSACRE

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
I think nowadays there are a lot more people that are actually considering the switch over to Mac, myself included, and things such as Safari and iTunes gives us an opportunity to see what the interface is like etc.

Despite the fact that the beta Safari is incredibly buggy from experience, its perfectly understandable, as a beta wouldnt be a beta if it was perfect.

I am certainly impressed with it to be fair, although many browsers now are getting very alike; there's only so much you can do!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Does the windows version support flash? Why not, seems like a pretty big oversight.

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
well done apple..youve done something great for the pc..but left the mac with second class secret features.

whatever..still good exposure. keep at it jobsy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.