Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eslyjah

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2002
Some assistance

Just do a google search for "safari v80". Be careful not to wreck your OS. I'm not going to replace core system libraries with unsupported ones to get a two-week or so headstart on the next version of safari.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by merges
You people don't get it, do you?
I don't know if I exactly get you here. As point, I won't be giving out copies of v80, but if someone asks I'll just say "Sorry, I can't help you."

There's no reason to act all high and mighty here. It's not like I hacked a secure server and stole my copy of v80. I just happened upon it during an IRC. I think people who have installed it (myself included) are just taking a calculated risk. Whether you accept it or not is your own business.

merges

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Re: RE: Some Assistance.

Originally posted by Scribble
Sorry I offended the "Safari Police" on this BBS. Maybe "you don't get" wanting to check out new software, and being as though it's free, it's not as if peolpe are looting.
But maintain your so-called higher moral standing. A simple "No, no help here" would suffice.
Sheesh, it's that type of cavalier attitude that gives Apple it's deserved "elitist" tag. Please, step off the high horse.
So whatever. Keep your Safari beta to yourself.

1) The "new software" you are referring to is not free. It is not even public. If you acquire it by any means other than it being explicitly offered to you by its owner (with an appropriate licensing agreement attached), you are STEALING. In other words, looting.

2) It's precisely this "cavalier" attitude that makes Apple a responsible, dedicated, respectful company, and its customers too.

3) The only Safari beta I have is the public beta that Apple has officially released, along with a specific non-exclusive license to use it.

This boils down to a simple problem. If you want a better Safari, faster, then stop trying to find, traffic, and discuss unreleased, stolen versions of the software. It slows Apple down.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
1) The "new software" you are referring to is not free. It is not even public. If you acquire it by any means other than it being explicitly offered to you by its owner (with an appropriate licensing agreement attached), you are STEALING. In other words, looting.

2) It's precisely this "cavalier" attitude that makes Apple a responsible, dedicated, respectful company, and its customers too.

3) The only Safari beta I have is the public beta that Apple has officially released, along with a specific non-exclusive license to use it.

This boils down to a simple problem. If you want a better Safari, faster, then stop trying to find, traffic, and discuss unreleased, stolen versions of the software. It slows Apple down.
We're all entitled to our own opinions, but we're not entitled to force those opinions on others. I can understand if you don't want to download and install v80 yourself. Don't tell other people what to do, though.

merges

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
I don't know if I exactly get you here. As point, I won't be giving out copies of v80, but if someone asks I'll just say "Sorry, I can't help you."

There's no reason to act all high and mighty here. It's not like I hacked a secure server and stole my copy of v80. I just happened upon it during an IRC. I think people who have installed it (myself included) are just taking a calculated risk. Whether you accept it or not is your own business.

Perhaps you don't understand what is meant by "stealing" here. It is not a specific act, such as hacking into a secure server to obtain the property, that defines the crime. By the same token, I do not have to break into Sony Music's warehouse and grab a few CDs to be rightfully accused of stealing music. "Happening upon" the same songs on IRC, on Gnutella, or even in a friend's disc collection are no different if I'm going to acquire the music without paying for it (in other words, without the right to do so).

You don't have the right to own or use the version of Safari that you reference in your post. If you want clarification, why don't you call Apple and see if they're willing to support you or provide you a fresh copy for free?

merges

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
We're all entitled to our own opinions, but we're not entitled to force those opinions on others. I can understand if you don't want to download and install v80 yourself. Don't tell other people what to do, though.

I am simply informing (apparently) uneducated folks about what they are legally entitled to. I am also clarifying important details for these same people.

In addition, I am stating my opinions, which are clearly, as evidenced by the company's own policies (which are determined by intelligent, experienced stakeholders), in Apple's best interests. And, if I'm not mistaken, it's in *your* interest as an Apple product owner and user, to ensure that your products remain valuable and useful to you. If Apple is inhibited by unreasonable contravention of their own policies, it will be more difficult for the company to run efficiently.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I am simply informing (apparently) uneducated folks about what they are legally entitled to. I am also clarifying important details for these same people.
Your like the RIAA! :D

If Apple sues me, I'll eat my hat (I'll have to buy a hat first, of course, but then I'll eat it).

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I downloaded it and it works pretty well. The news feature of opening in tab with just a click is cool, but I wish I could still right click and get all of the sites within the folder, just for the few times I only want to open one of the websites.

Other than that, it looks good.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by Freg3000
I downloaded it and it works pretty well. The news feature of opening in tab with just a click is cool, but I wish I could still right click and get all of the sites within the folder, just for the few times I only want to open one of the websites.

Other than that, it looks good.
You can open the grouped links up as a regular folder with a simple command-click or option-click.

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
Re: Help!

i personally have no idea what to tell you. this is what happens when you install beta software.

perhaps removing the webcore directory, safari, safari.plist (essentially removing any trace of safari from your system, then rebooting?

that may fix the problem, but i'm not sure i'd be forcibly removing things from my system folder if i didn't know EXACTLY what it did.

Originally posted by Bundled
I quickly downloaded Safari v80 from somewhere, but I would not advice others to do so. First of all, it is nice but some preferences don't work anymore (security for example) and after I tried to remove the package with OSXPM (the tool mentioned above) I couldn't use the public beta from Apple anymore. And above all after deleting v80 to go back to the public beta, I couldn't install v80 again, it tells me it is impossible to install it on that hard disk. I even moved the WebKit.framework away from the Frameworks folder. I deleted anything on my hard disk with Safari in it... except the two installation packages, the one from Apple and that nasty v80... I probably have to wait until Safari leaves beta status or Apple releases Panther... wooah, 4 months...

Anyone who can solve this problem?
I mean Chimera/Camino is cool, but I liked Safari a lot more.

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003

In addition, I am stating my opinions, which are clearly, as evidenced by the company's own policies (which are determined by intelligent, experienced stakeholders), in Apple's best interests. And, if I'm not mistaken, it's in *your* interest as an Apple product owner and user, to ensure that your products remain valuable and useful to you. If Apple is inhibited by unreasonable contravention of their own policies, it will be more difficult for the company to run efficiently.

Give it a rest, woodja :rolleyes:

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I'd just like to apologise, as far as I can tell it was my post about installing Safari v80 or not that started this row.

So therefore I would like it to be this post that ends it, cmon guys, we're never going to all agree on this, lets move on, there are quite a few constructive and useful posts inbetween the rows.

AppleMatt

sandsl

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
Why don't the safari police keep to themselves...everyone makes their own decision.

What some of you guys are clearly forgetting is reading rumor sites is often more damaging to apple than using an unreleased beta of safari. Alot of published material on this site and others (eg. thinksecret) are trade secrets, owned by Apple.

Anyone who is willing to read illegally leaked documents & information about Apples internal unreleased, unpublicised software (hardware etc..) might as well be using Apple's unreleased software as well. Both as harmful as the other.

Just to finish this off...I have installed Safari v80 and I've taken the risk of complete data distruction. No one on this board has the right to tell me what to do.

Anyone who says its impossible to remove Safari v80 and default to v74 is ignorant :rolleyes:

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Re: On The iSync Page

Originally posted by The Tuck
When iSync 1.1 came out, there was this picture on the iSync page. Apple quickly removed it, but this might be a rumored preference thing for Safari:

indexbookmarks_060203.gif

Anybody else seen this?

-The Tuck

yeah I saw that, very interesting, it shows Mail, I sent an idea to Apple about maybe some sort of thing like where you can check your mail by going in a tab and it just shows it (it would look similar to the bookmarks tab/screen). I don't know what that is, but it looks cool.

cablejump

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2002
all i want from the new version of safari is the ability to choose where you can save things differently each time

Jeff Harrell

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by cablejump
all i want from the new version of safari is the ability to choose where you can save things differently each time
Serious question: what's wrong with saving them to the desktop or a given folder, and then moving them later? I don't like being asked every time where I want something saved, and I can't think of a good way to let the browser know that I want to be asked sometimes but not other times.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
we have been getting a lot of hits from apple domains, so i took a look at what os and browsers they were using.

most were jag and safari v74.

but there was a good number of safari v80 and even some safari version 83u (and of course a good number of camino builds as well; woohoo!)

just thought it was interesting (btw no non-mac oses)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
we have been getting a lot of hits from apple domains, so i took a look at what os and browsers they were using.

but there was a good number of safari v80 and even some safari version 83u (and of course a good number of camino builds as well; woohoo!)

I speculated that 83 would be final, could it be? well WWDC should answer it

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Geez, why dont you relax, not everyone thinks that using a beta to do some real world testing is that bad, get over it.

You sound like a complete tool during these diatribes, do you beat your kids when they nick a penny candy at the corner store?

Its damned beta ware.....

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Jeff Harrell
Serious question: what's wrong with saving them to the desktop or a given folder, and then moving them later? I don't like being asked every time where I want something saved, and I can't think of a good way to let the browser know that I want to be asked sometimes but not other times.

IMHO, if the functionality to right-click and move the download from the Download "Manager" window that pops up was there, I'd be happy. I mean, the DLManager right now is next to useless ...

But, yes, I prefer the browser defaulting to a common location and being able to handle the case where I want it to go somewhere else on an as-needed basis, so long as the "Move this file" dialog "remembers" where I moved the last file in some way that's 1-or-2 clicks away at all times (ie, the "Recent" list in the open/save dialogs)

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

Functional groups within Apple are fairly well-bounded. You generally won't find, for instance, a hardware engineer at Apple with the latest alpha build of Safari. This is one of the main reasons why Apple is so effective at keeping a secret (there was a magazine article in Business Week or somesuch a year or so back, around the time of the iMac LCD debut perhaps, which went into more detail ...)

Note that you'll see a lot of hits from within the Apple domain that come from people who know no more about Apple's plans than you and I ...

Albertii

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2003
Webcore now part of OS X

Does this mean we can remove the webcore out of the OmniBrowser without leaving it defective , if we install Safari v80 1st .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.