Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
They do. Except Apple doesn't mock their competitors publicly for doing something, and then shamelessly copy it weeks/months later.
Well, except for the time they ran a campaign mocking Intel chips… until they adopted it themselves. Or when Tim Cook called the Surface like blending a toaster and a refrigerator… until iPad became more like the Surface. Or when Steve said video on music players was a dumb idea… and then released iPod video… Etc, etc.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
It is not a personal attack to tell someone they're wrong. I'm not here to coddle people who are wrong. Also did not call any macumors member "inept", that was clearly directed at the person who made the ridiculous YouTube video.

Stop being so sensitive about being wrong.
You don't have to coddle anyone, but you should treat people with a minimum level of respect. From your other comments I copy / pasted in there, perhaps you should reflect on how you treat people on here.

You are very bad at admitting that you're wrong.
Please do tell me (exactly) where I was wrong in my previous comments?

Reactions: PC_tech

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Well, if you’re gonna be technical about it, then I guess we could all make the argument that all these companies copy each other. Am I right? It’s just a matter of when certain ‘tech’ is released ahead of each other.
Yes they all copy, Samsung criticizes it, then copies.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
good for them, bad for Qualcomm.
Samsung, they're having trouble with their new node, so we'll have to see where this goes

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Samsung, they're having trouble with their new node, so we'll have to see where this goes
This has been one of problems for Samsung. Samsung chips generally use Samsung's foundry for manufacturing, which is behind TSMC.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Trying to follow Apple’s footsteps?

Both companies need to work on their Android software first. This custom design fabrication chip isn't going to do anything due to a lack of software improvement.
The mobile OS Software is now nationalized in China. HUAWEI donated the HOS to the Chinese Government. So, now all companies and universities are contributing to the same public project. This way everyone can use all the IPs and they don’t have to second guess other companies for choke-holding them. It’s also open source.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I wonder if these companies have any idea about how big a task this is? It’s not something you decide on a wet karaoke party and deliver a week later…

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
I find it rich that they think they can go toe to toe with Apple’s chips. Apple has some of the best CPU cores in the industry. There’s no way Oppo is suddenly going to compete with Apple for hardware performance, no way to go from 0 to 100, just like that. And the A series has been under development for over 10 years at this point, it’s had over 12 years of commercial releases to ramp up performance. (It’s probably closer to 15 years, if we assume Apple began work on the A4 during the iPad’s development cycle, which it likely did.) Xiaomi and Oppo both seem to be writing performance and quality checks their companies probably can’t cash in their goal of claiming to be the next Apple.

Never mind the fact that, if they really want to deliver an Apple-like experience, they’re gonna have to either fork Android and seriously customize it for their phones, or they’ll have to find a different OS to use. And, what’s more, they’ll have to support devices for much longer than they’re used to. Apple generally supports the latest phone with post-release software updates for four to five years, which is a mindset I absolutely don’t see Chinese firms adopting.

Besides, how many times have we seen companies call their new products iPhone killers, iPad killers, iPod killers, etc.? And companies that claim to be following Apple (perhaps the Apple of another industry)? And yet Apple persists, while these firms fail. There’s something in their products and corporate DNA that’s uniquely Apple, that can’t just be copied, even if you’re willing to create your own chips and your own software. Besides, attempting to copy Apple is no way to get out of the Apple knock off ghetto, it really just cements your phone as the phone to buy if you can’t afford an iPhone (ask Samsung how that’s worked out for them) or if you absolutely want Android (and then, the company has the albatross of Android* around their neck).

* How’s Android an albatross around their neck? Generally, you can’t really optimize Android for your custom hardware nearly as well as Apple can iOS. Even if you could, Oppo is mostly a hardware firm, they’d have to suddenly get really good at custom software. And since Android targets low end to mid range to high end phones equally, if your custom hardware can’t deliver superior performance at MediaTek prices and Android software and apps don’t take advantage of your custom hardware, there’s little reason to buy your $1000 OneMate branded phone over a mid-range Samsung model or the latest Pixel phone.

Android is a stepping stone.

Not sure about Samsung, but all Chinese devices are in the process of deprecating Android OS component by component and moving towards HOS, which was developed by Huawei and donated to the Chinese government. It’s now owned by a public trust of some sort.

Apple’s silicon team is difficult to beat, and TSMC is seemingly impossible to catch up to, but those are irrelevant when it’s the only way to survive, not just for Oppo, but for all Chinese companies. China must have a independent commercially-viable alternative chip and software ecosystem before the US pull the plugs. Quite frankly, there are very few plugs left to pull. It’s a race against time. It’s no longer about corporate returns and industrial strategy like Apple did back in the day. It’s about make it or break it.

Reactions: ilikewhey

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Trying to follow Apple’s footsteps?

Both companies need to work on their Android software first. This custom design fabrication chip isn't going to do anything due to a lack of software improvement.
uh yes it will? the benchmark alone shows how behind they are with qualcomm variants. sure android software is not efficient but to think having a faster chip won't make a difference is really doing anyone reading a disservice.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Do you think the engineers are Apple, who are not in China, spend most of their day solving Sudoku puzzles?

First, that’s racist.

Second, that’s Japanese.

Third, most Engineers (excluding technicians) are, in fact, Asian, everywhere around the world.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I wonder if these companies have any idea about how big a task this is? It’s not something you decide on a wet karaoke party and deliver a week later…
if it has the CCP's support and blessing, it will get done quick. can you honestly predict 20 years ago that china would have the longest reliable high speed rail network in the world.

Reactions: 0924487

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Samsung if you want to surpass Apple in SoC segment, you need to take Johny Srouji like Apple did when he was at Intel
john srouji isn't the only game in town, samsung could easily hire jim keller who is notorious for chip designs and turning the boat around.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Those are just what you see on the surface. The entire nation has been mobilizing resources to make this possible under state planning. From basic research at the Academy of Science, etc., to expanding the STEM graduate admissions, etc., to funding joint ventures and consolidating silicon companies, etc.

Let’s just say that they don’t have a history of making empty claims.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Well, except for the time they ran a campaign mocking Intel chips… until they adopted it themselves. Or when Tim Cook called the Surface like blending a toaster and a refrigerator… until iPad became more like the Surface. Or when Steve said video on music players was a dumb idea… and then released iPod video… Etc, etc.
You're really still bringing up 10-20 year old quotes? They haven't mocked a single product like the rest of the brands do with Apple, in the past 5-10 years.

• Disagree
Reactions: ilikewhey

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
You don't have to coddle anyone, but you should treat people with a minimum level of respect. From your other comments I copy / pasted in there, perhaps you should reflect on how you treat people on here.

Please do tell me (exactly) where I was wrong in my previous comments?
Either contribute to the topic discussion, or bow out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.