MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung has today announced a range of new devices at its Galaxy Unpacked event, including the Galaxy S21, S21+, and S21 Ultra, as well as Galaxy Buds Pro earphones and Galaxy SmartTag item trackers.

galaxy-s21.jpg

Samsung's latest Galaxy S21 series of smartphones feature a new design, edge-to-edge Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity-O display with adaptive 120Hz refresh rate, and 8K video recording. The Galaxy S21 has a lightweight design and a compact 6.2-inch display, while the Galaxy S21+ has a 6.7-inch display and a larger battery.

The Galaxy S21 series espouses a new Contour Cut Camera housing that blends into the device's metal frame, and the AI-powered triple-lens camera system itself also sees a number of improvements, with the ability to intuitively assess scenes and adjust the camera settings accordingly.

galaxy-s21-front.jpg

For customers who need the most from their Galaxy device, there is the S21 Ultra, which delivers an "intelligent pro-grade camera system," improved display, Wi-Fi 6E9, ultra-wideband capabilities, and better performance. The S21 Ultra also brings the popular S Pen experience to the Galaxy S series for the first time.

galaxy-s21-ultra.jpg

With a 6.8-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X display, the Galaxy S21 Ultra is the largest device in the Galaxy S21 series. For the first time, users can enable a 120Hz refresh rate and Quad HD+ at the same time, and the display is 25 percent brighter and has a 50 percent improved contrast ratio.

The S21 Ultra features a quad rear camera system with ultra-wide, wide, and dual tele-lenses, 100x Space Zoom, improved Night Mode, and an upgraded 108MP pro sensor that can capture 12-bit HDR photos. All lenses, including the front camera, can shoot video in 4K at 60fps.

The S21 and S21+ are available in 128GB and 256GB storage configurations and a range of colors, including Phantom Violet, Phantom Gold, Phantom Red, Phantom Gray, Phantom Pink, and Phantom White, with pre-orders starting today. The S21 Ultra also offers a 512GB model, with Phantom Silver, Phantom Black, Phantom Titanium, Phantom Navy, and Phantom Brown color options, starting at $1,199.99. The Galaxy S21 starts at $799.99 and Galaxy S21+ starts at $999.99. Devices will begin arriving with customers on January 29.

In addition to the S21 series of smartphones, Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Buds Pro, with "immersive sound," improved call quality, intelligent ANC, IPX7 water resistance, and enhanced connectivity. With an 11-millimeter woofer for deeper bass and a 6.5-millimeter tweeter for a crisp treble with minimum distortion, the Galaxy Buds Pro achieve what Samsung says is its "best audio experience yet."

galaxy-buds-pro-black.jpg

The Galaxy Buds Pro feature three microphones, a Voice Pickup Unit, Wind Shield technology, Ambient Sound amplification, automatic ANC, and automatic device switching. When used with a Galaxy S21 series smartphone, the Buds Pro offer 360 Audio with Dolby Head Tracking technology, similar to Apple's Spatial Audio feature on AirPods Pro and AirPods Max.

The Galaxy Buds Pro can deliver up to eight hours of continuous playback, with an additional 20 hours of reserve power available via the wireless charging case. Galaxy Buds Pro are available for pre-order now in Phantom Black, Phantom Silver, and Phantom Violet for $199.99.

galaxy-s21-with-buds.jpg

The company also introduced the Galaxy SmartTag, a low energy Bluetooth item tracker. The Galaxy SmartTag enables users to quickly and easily locate items based on the strength of the Bluetooth signal in the SmartThings Find app, and users can emit a chime from the tag. The SmartTag is believed to be Samsung's competitor to Apple's long-awaited AirTags item trackers.

The Galaxy SmartTag retails for $29.99 and all pre-orders of the Galaxy S21, S21+, or S21 Ultra will also include a free Galaxy SmartTag. An ultra-wideband variant called Tag+ will arrive later in 2021 for $39.99.

Article Link: Samsung Announces Galaxy S21, S21+, and S21 Ultra Alongside Galaxy Buds Pro and Galaxy SmartTag

Serban55

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2020
now if you want top of the line spec from samsung you need to pay over 1000.....4-5 years ago...they kept the same price over the previous model
you want 5g on your iphone? same price as before...you want promotion, same price it will be
Apple knows its financial strategy ...macs with M1 become the most bang for the buck in the industry...now its seems the iphone 13 will become the same

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Interesting that Samsung beat Apple to the "tag" business. But I am still unconvinced on the business model - is this expected to be so lucrative? People splurging on "luxury" tags??? But everyone and their uncle seem to be jumping into this business, so I guess they do see something in it.

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Interesting that Samsung beat Apple to the "tag" business. But I am still unconvinced on the business model - is this expected to be so lucrative? People splurging on "luxury" tags??? But everyone and their uncle seem to be jumping into this business, so I guess they do see something in it.

Or maybe they just think "Well we're already making bank on phones, computers, watches, headphones, tv boxes, tablets... Let's just throw out some simple GPS trackers to make some money off of that too"
Constant growth is needed, no amount of money is enough; Not even all the money in the world. You need to make something to make even more money or the shareholders will get disappointed that you made the same amount of insane money you did last year

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
Samsung removes the charger and reduces prices $200 off across the S21 line, includes $200 Buds Pro with pre-order and also reduces the price of a charger if you need one if you don't have a spare USB-C charger that they've been shipping since 2017 Galaxy S8. In comparison, Apple removed the charger and did none of those so purely profit motivated.

S21 Ultra is sexy and the colors would go well with my Surface Pro X SQ2.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I know it’s funny to see things like this happen. But why does Twitter even show this info? Why is it important for them to share that the tweet was sent from an iPhone or Android etc?

The only even semi-good explanation I can come up with is that if there are typos in a tweet, people may be more forgiving knowing it came from a touch keyboard on a phone, but then the could just put "Twitter on Mobile"

mazz0

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Huh, the leaked purple and gold one looked ugly but I actually rather like the silver and black models.

Ugh, that tile though. I thought perhaps the leaks of that were just of prototypes, but that's the finished design? Did they even design it or just copy-paste it from a car kay? I've said it before and I'll say it again - some companies only put effort into design when compelled to by competition from Apple.

Reactions: amartinez1660

alpi123

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2014
They become better at copying Apple. The new One UI 3 has a lot of design clues taken straight from iOS (don't even wanna mention the 1:1 animations that were borrowed from iPhone X/iOS 11).

The event was boring, because they talk too much and say less. But the phones look promising.

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
camera system looks very impressive. 10x optical zoom and 100x zoom is said to be much improved and useable but will see on that one I guess.

S pen support a sign the note is about to die and great for die hard note fans.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
Samsung removes the charger and reduces prices $200 off across the S21 line and also reduce the price of a charger if you need one if you don't have a spare USB-C charger that they've been shipping since 2017 Galaxy S8. In comparison, Apple removed the charger and did none of those so purely profit motivated.

S21 Ultra is sexy and the colors would go well with my Surface Pro X SQ2.
Samsung slapped 5G in their phones for marketing reasons and passed that cost onto consumers. Apple added 5G and kept the price the same.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, the leaked purple and gold one looked ugly but I actually rather like the silver and black models.

Ugh, that tile though. I thought perhaps the leaks of that were just of prototypes, but that's the finished design? Did they even design it or just copy-paste it from a car kay? I've said it before and I'll say it again - some companies only put effort into design when compelled to by competition from Apple.
The issue with those tags is that Apple hasn’t released them yet, so Samsung had to go by the leaks with no finished design to copy LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.