Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
Hate to tell Samsung this, but the battery life on my Galaxy Note 3 isn't exactly stellar either (even with their touted Power Saving Mode). I'd say it's about the same as my iPhone 4S (which doesn't need a Power Saving Mode :apple:).

At least Apple's accessories don't kill the battery like Samsung's do (S View cover) :apple:

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
This really is the pot calling the kettle black. I had a galaxy S-3 on Verizon where you could almost SEE the battery percentage going down. It was the single biggest reason why I got rid of it.

Apple's battery life has not improved over time, though, since my iPhone 4 and 4S. I do wish they would let the phone stay a bit thicker and put in a bigger battery.

Cr85

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
Here's what I see:

1) Apple has always strived to make their phones thinner.
2) I'm sure there's a larger screen in the works, which will make not only the phone display larger, but also the phone itself even thinner and lighter.
3) Apple has a 64 bit system already on a dual core chip, which Samsung can't really produce for their own line of phones. Apple's 5s is a little rocket.
4) Apple has introduced Swift and Metal, cutting down on their programming footprint. Not only will it make their phone performance faster, but battery life will dramatically increase.
5) Apple has already established an Ecosystem, something the competitors are striving to create themselves in an efficient manner.

Conclusion: Once Apple introduces their new line of phones, with better battery life and even greater performance, and new aesthetic design... Yes, you got it... Samsung will be there at their heels copying. Also, Samsung needs to bash Apple, because they're feeling that gap widen between themselves and Apple. They're in a chokehold. Plus, these Apple bashing commercials just make people not want to cross over to them, but stay with Apple.

Cheers!

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
What in the world are people doing if their iPhone battery can't last a day? I've never had an iPhone battery die in less than a day. Maybe it's because I don't spend every waking moment on my phone (have a more interesting life plus a job)? Now if I was playing infinity blade nonstop then sure it'd get drained fast but any device would.

I usually can go 2 days with my 5s and pretty much between 1-2 days with the others before. If I need to extend it for some reason, I can disable certain features and dim the screen and get plenty.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Well, Apple's release of very few but very highly sold models means there will always be a market for external battery cases :) Still, the iPhone 6 should have better battery life now that it's up to jumboPhone™ dimensions.

apple-tea

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2014
This ad is the truth. You can't go nowhere with an iPhone where you gonna go?

I did this last time I was at the airport just a couple days ago. There I was, sitting on the floor under a water fountain by a bathroom.

iPhone battery so bad might as well be a landline!

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Oh boy, can't wait to see the new iPhone models with iOS8 slap this one back right into their face :D

candle

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2013
I see bitter, illogical comments. The Samsung has a great, and interchangeable battery. My G2 has exceptionally long battery life as well.

elliotsdad

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2006
My battery woes

I'm not one to normally complain about Apple devices, but I just spent a frustrating 45 mins with Genius bar, explaining my phone went from 100% to 25% in four hours, just using some browsing, twitter, and off line music listening. genius person said this was to expected as i was using cellular data, and had two apps on background refresh. I was stunned, if the iPhone 6 doesn't have better battery life, I may jump ship after 6 years of iPhone

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
You must be new

Apple ads: Shows off the potential of the product.
Samsung ads: Insults the competitor and the users, a competitor they copied off of.

This was the way Apple advertised their products for 90% of their existence, by insulting their competition and, in turn, the masses that used them.

Remember "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC".

Further back, Apple used to have Jeff Goldblum bash the "big beige box" to mock the Wintel platform.

And remember Ellen Feiss?

Apple has traditionally invested more effort in calling out their competition rather than just making feel good ads about all the features their devices have. Those ads full of inspired music showing people doing things with an iPad or iPhone are actually quite RARE for Apple.

It is an important rule to never mention your competition in advertising, that is like Mad Men Rule #1! Doing so only solidifies the people using your competition against you. Rarely will someone ever switch to another product when someone tells you the product you're using sucks.

This is why Apple historically failed to capture any of the PC market with ads like "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" because most PC users thought Mac users were simply douchebags like Justin Long or drugged out teenaged girls.

It is more historically accurate to claim Samsung is copying Apple's traditional advertising style then to say that Apple has risen above all this.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Funny, I ALWAYS see Samsung users charging their phones. I have NEVER seen even one of them change the battery.

With an iPhone battery case, you effectively have two batteries to work with; assuming they are both fully charged.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
I saw a whole a lot of iPhones and only 3 Galaxy's, in a Samsung Ad. Samsung seems comfortable as #2.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
When I had an iPhone 5, I only had to charge my phone at night.

Now that I have a Galaxy S5 I have to charge it at work and when I get home. The battery life on that thing is horrible. And because I'm constantly plugging it in, my "waterproof" cable flap now doesn't stay closed meaning it's pretty much not waterproof anymore.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
hahahaha... good one!

lets put aside the design... (samsung can't even get close to apple's).

but android is total *!@#*&... i'll always prefer iOS. why the %@$# they are trying to convince me to use their &@#* when it's obvious that it IS total (#*& and I love Apple's Design and OS ?

it's rhetorical. no bad fillings. thank you.

Is your keyboard broken? Also it's pretty obvious no one could convince you do anything you don't want to do. :D Lighten up. It's a funny ad.

bsforever

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
Lol I swear some of you guys on here are taking this ad way too personally. Relax, adverts are allowed to stretch the truth - enjoy the ad for the creative piece of humor it is.

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Apple ads: Shows off the potential of the product.
Samsung ads: Insults the competitor and the users, a competitor they copied off of.

Talk to the butt Sammy, cause that's all that will be listening as I walk away from your products.

Isn't that what Apple was doing in Mac vs PC ads? Oh and pop open your iphone/ipads/imacs and whatnot and see how many Samsung parts are there. lol

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Funny, I ALWAYS see Samsung users charging their phones. I have NEVER seen even one of them change the battery.

With an iPhone battery case, you effectively have two batteries to work with; assuming they are both fully charged.

I've used a battery case since day one. Flipping a switch to charge is one hell of a lot easier than removing a cover, removing a battery, slamming the charged battery in wrong, removing it, finally getting it right, replacing the cover, then bringing your boarding pass back up, after having lost your boarding zone and walking onboard with the last group. Like most advertisements, it's mostly irrelevant.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Oh Samsung,

I've owned 6 of your phones and your phones batteries turn to utter **** within three to six months of ownership.

My iPhone battery, although a little less than what it used to be, is probably about 90% of it's original life after TWO YEARS.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I'm not sure how having to either nerf your phone to bare minimum survival levels AND/OR buying an additional battery (carrying it with you) is a solid selling point.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Thicker phone/bettery battery

I'm planning on switching to a bigger iPhone, although I may wait until the second generation. A 5.5" model is going to be much more usable for me. There's so much information being displayed by apps these days that a larger screen is a must.

All that said: If Apple wants people to use their iPhones more, then the company needs to improve battery life, and not slim down the phone so much at the expense of the battery. I'm a heavy user, and no way does my 5s make it through the day without at least one top-off charge. It's a lot better than my 4s. I'd rather have a thicker phone with a considerably longer-lasting battery than have to use a battery case or an external battery (and I've tried both). Apple should give folks a choice: regular iPhone, Fat iPhone.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm planning on switching to a bigger iPhone, although I may wait until the second generation. A 5.5" model is going to be much more usable for me. There's so much information being displayed by apps these days that a larger screen is a must.

All that said: If Apple wants people to use their iPhones more, then the company needs to improve battery life, and not slim down the phone so much at the expense of the battery. I'm a heavy user, and no way does my 5s make it through the day without at least one top-off charge. It's a lot better than my 4s. I'd rather have a thicker phone with a considerably longer-lasting battery than have to use a battery case or an external battery (and I've tried both). Apple should give folks a choice: regular iPhone, Fat iPhone.

I'm hoping the larger screen size will mean more space for the battery to spread out in the phone, meaning battery life will not be reduced by the thinner form factor.

That said, I'd really rather the phone stay the same thickness and battery life improve. But Apple's obsession with thinness tells us that won't happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.