Samsung Debuts $499 Windows Mixed Reality Headset

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At an event held in San Francisco this morning, Samsung and Microsoft announced the debut of the HMD Odyssey, a headset designed to work with the Windows Mixed Reality platform.

Priced at $499, the headset offers high-resolution dual 3.5-inch AMOLED displays with a 110-degree field of view for what Samsung says is the "most immersive Windows Mixed Reality experience." With AMOLED technology, the headset offers more vibrant colors and deeper blacks for more lifelike images, and there are built-in AKG headphones for 360 degree spatial sound.

[​IMG]

The HMD Odyssey is equipped with a Six Degrees of Freedom sensor for "intuitive and natural movements," while the headset itself features an adjustable control wheel for a snug fit on the head and the two motion controllers enable movement in the virtual world.

[​IMG]

Windows Mixed Reality, despite the name, is essentially Microsoft's virtual reality platform. Microsoft has teamed up with several PC makers like Acer, Dell, HP, and Lenovo to create a range of "Mixed Reality" headsets that work with the platform. Mixed Reality mixes augmented and virtual reality experiences to blend the real world with the digital world, but Windows Mixed Reality is a full virtual reality experience at the current time.

While Apple has delved into and embraced augmented reality with the release of ARKit in iOS 11, the company is also rumored to be exploring virtual reality concepts. There have been rumors of work on both a virtual reality headset and augmented reality smart glasses, but it's not yet clear if those products will ever make it beyond the prototyping stage.

Apple in macOS High Sierra is planning to support eGPUs and VR content creation through Metal 2 and partnerships with Valve, Unity, and Unreal, but beyond that, ARKit is the closest thing the company has to the Windows Mixed Reality platform, and there is no comparable product to the Samsung headset.

Samsung's Odyssey Mixed Reality Headset is priced at $499, and is available for pre-order starting today ahead of a November 6 launch. A range of other Mixed Reality headsets are also available from Microsoft at prices starting at $329.

Article Link: Samsung Debuts $499 Windows Mixed Reality Headset

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Unfortunately, with my eyesight, none of these products work as intended. :/

3. brauntj macrumors member

4. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

5. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Like the Pippin, iPod HiFi and Apple Watch, right?

6. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Well maybe it will work out better than Microsoft Music Subscription...

7. jacobh101 macrumors regular

a great way to be anti-social with friends and family at home.

8. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

9. Deep Dish macrumors newbie

Here I thought I was a pretty big Apple nerd (made the switch back in '01), but I had to google both the Pippin and HiFi.

10. deanthedev macrumors 65816

deanthedev

“Virtual Reality. The next killer technology product everyone will be using.”

Repeated every year for the last 20 years. Still hasn’t come true. Kinda reminds me of Linux users claiming this to be “The Year of Linux on the Desktop.”

11. Relentless Power, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

12. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

Seriously, who buys stuff like this, and then ACTUALLY USES it enough to justify the expense... beyond just a novelty or curiosity?

13. polterbyte macrumors 6502

polterbyte

Wake me up when the technology is available on transparent prescription lenses set on Armani frames.

14. Stella, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The barrier to VR is getting smaller. You can get a PC rig for less than $1000 that has ample performance for VR.

I'm finding VR excellent, although games must improve. Quite a portion of them are no more than technical demos, or has <5 hours game play.

15. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

16. polterbyte macrumors 6502

polterbyte

They WISH it would lose money like the Apple Watch.

17. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

18. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I wouldn't like VR on the Mac. VR on windows will *always* have better games, apps, better quality at a cheaper price. Mac isn't great for everything. Choose the right tools for the job.

Having said that - its good that Apple have finally released machines that are able to run VR headsets.

19. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Hmm this is mines. I have to make sure when I purchase me a new desktop rig that its VR capable.

20. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Wonder how it compares to the HTC Vive and Oculus rift which also use OLED displays.

21. thedommer2000 macrumors member

I dont own VR but I have spent many hours on it. Its awesome and it is here to stay. Cannot wait until it gets a bit higher resolution. Mostly I have used PSVR. If you ever get a chance to try PSVR, Superhot is fantastic and fun. The batman game is a great experience to get you started. I'll buy into VR probably when PS5 comes out.

22. brianvictor7 macrumors 65816

brianvictor7

Good for them! Glad to see this technology being pushed forward. Still eager to see Apple refine it.

23. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

By volume and revenue. Even though Rolex watches are super expensive niche products for the well-heeled, I was actually surprised by their 4½ billion revenue figure. A lot more than I expected.

Btw, wth is Pippin again? Something the other poster mentioned.

24. mlody macrumors 6502a

This reminds me of 3D TVs. Great concept on paper,but most people simply do not care.