Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today officially debuted the Galaxy Z Flip, its newest flagship foldable smartphone. Unlike Samsung's first foldable smartphone, the Galaxy Fold, the Z Flip is a smartphone-sized device that folds in half. Samsung called it a stylish smartphone designed for trendsetters and people who want to stand out.

Samsung first unveiled the smartphone on Sunday with a commercial that was shown during the Oscars, but the full announcement includes additional details about the device.

The major selling point for the Galaxy Z Flip is its small size, as it can fold in half and be tucked into a pocket. When folded out, it features a 6.7-inch Infinity Flex AMOLED display that's full screen with the exception of a small camera cutout at the top. Samsung says that the Z Flip is its first ever smartphone with a 21.9:9 ratio, and that the display is made from bendable "Ultra Thin Glass."

zflip1.jpg

There's a Hideaway Hinge, which Samsung calls a "work of engineering art," with the hinge able to withstand 200,000 folds. The hinge uses a sweeper technology that includes nylon fibers to repel dirt and dust, a problem that affected Samsung's first foldable smartphone.

The phone can be used folded out into a traditional smartphone shape, but it can also be used folded in half similar to a makeup compact with the bottom half propping up the top half for a hands-free mode.

zflip2.jpg

When folded in half, the Z Flip is in "Flex Mode," with an interface optimized for a hands-free selfie and vlogging experience using the 10-megapixel front-facing camera. Because the Galaxy Z Flip can hold its position at multiple angles, Samsung says it can capture "amazing low angle" photos that "play with perception" using the rear camera.

A Multi-Active Window feature allows users to multi-task by opening up the Multi-Window Tray to drag and drop the apps they want to use. One app can occupy each half of the Z Flip.

zflip3.jpg

There's a small display on the back of the smartphone so that when it's folded up, users are still able to see the time, incoming notifications, and other relevant information. Tapping a notification on the cover screen will transition to the app while unfolding the phone.

Samsung included a dual battery inside the Galaxy Z Flip with a 3,300mAh capacity. That doesn't quite match the battery life of the S20 series, but Samsung says it will "last all day long."

Samsung says that the Galaxy Z Flip will be available in limited quantities in Mirror Purple and Black starting in the U.S. and Korea on February 14, 2020, followed by Mirror Gold in select countries. Pricing starts at $1,380.

Article Link: Samsung Debuts New 'Galaxy Z Flip' Foldable Smartphone, Priced at $1,380

Rainycats

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
who is asking for this? Just to say you have something different? 1400? if they are putting it out for 300 dollars to get mass testing, let it bake 6 months and see what you got, ok... just trying to ingest everything that tech can do and crap out whatever prodcut that will not sell much and be, most likely, a disaster

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
i'm happy they're trying to do something new, because healthy competition is good, and i think the SO MUCH SCREEN design looks futuristic and neat, but i don't think the world wants to go back to flip phone en masse.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I can see the benefit for skinny jean wearers. Something Apple should've innovated first.

Reactions: TrentS

superiska123

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I feel like this is going to eat into the Motorola RAZR's sales a lot, being $100 cheaper and (arguably) better looking. I don't want either device anyway...

I can see the benefit for skinny jean wearers. Something Apple should've innovated first.

By being twice as thick as a regular phone? No thanks. Sure, the fact that it's smaller helps, but I'd rather have a regular smaller, thinner phone.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
I know people here are knocking this, but its GLASS, not plastic... GLASS. thats amazing just think of future possibilities.

now this is not for me , but something like the fold that could unfold into a small tablet and with GLASS, then call me interested.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I hope Apple doesn’t jump on the bandwagon of foldable phones. Ridiculous!

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
That's a fair bit too expensive for me. Plus how clumsy I am I'd break it within a week.

I wonder if CNET will do a fold test like they did with the razor phone.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Too cheap.
[automerge]1581449498[/automerge]
That's a fair bit too expensive for me. Plus how clumsy I am I'd break it within a week.

I wonder if CNET will do a fold test like they did with the razor phone.

I guess fold tests in the next couple of years will be the next YouTube sensation.

Reactions: Aston441

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
There's a small display on the back of the smartphone so that when it's folded up, users are still able to see the time, incoming notifications, and other relevant information.
Which you don't need if you have a smart watch.
The smart watch is really your smaller phone now.
Foldable phones were a thing back in the day of the Razor but technology and "trends" have moved on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.