Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
And keyboards? Sounds like a BB user. First, swype and swiftkey are great. But now I just hit the microphone button.

QFT. Nothing beats dictation for speed. Especially if one knows how to enunciate properly.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
With how poorly coded Android OS is, you need monster hardware just to have a decent user experience. Android phones have these monster CPU/GPU's and still stutter when scrolling and they devour batteries. The iPhone 5 gets by for days on a 1430mAH battery while Android devices with 2100mAH batteries cannot even make it through 10 hour work day.

Painting with quite a broad brush there, aren't you? :p

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Goes both ways. It's clear that there are people here who have never used Android and/or have spent less than 5 seconds with it yet talk as if they are experts. "Blinded by their own unjust hate for Android/Google/Samsung"

And I think you have your last comment wrong. First - I'm not into name calling. But I think you mean to say that Android and/or Samsung would be nothing without Apple (which I disagree with anyway).

How can "fans" of a platform be nothing without Apple. Silly agrressive comment. As if what OS someone uses defines them, completes them or is all someone really is. :rolleyes:
I've spent enough time with an Android phone to know it's pathetic.

Yes, that's what I implied.

You wouldn't have the platform if it wasn't for Apple. Not to call anyone on here this, but most Android users I know tend to be fairly dim.

----------

I didnt think they made a single core Intel laptop? Do you mean power book 1.67 or core duo 1.66?

Even the first air was a dual core i think..

Yeah, some of the earlier Intel Macs in their base configs had a Core 2 Solo. I'm sure the first Intel Mac Mini was one of them.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I didnt think they made a single core Intel laptop? Do you mean power book 1.67 or core duo 1.66?

Even the first air was a dual core i think..

I just double checked - you're right, my MBA is a 1.6 GHz dual core. I believe it's the first generation air, but 3rd hand by now.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Makes my 3Gs feel old, can't wait to see the 5s and IMO Apple is likely to bring that out sooner, maybe before June!

TelegraphRoad

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
ipod touch gen 1

My Razr Maxx is 100 times faster then my first gen ipod touch, but guess which one had a better performing browser?

Pentalobe

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Actual user experiences

The speed looks awesome. I am interested to see how much better will user experiences be?

The new Android 4.2.1 on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus seems to be using a lot of the CPU cycle (e.g. in camera) so while I like the new camera app, it seems to make the user experience work.

Of course, the S4 has so many processors, everything should be real fast but still, spec is one thing, using it to do something is another story.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

You wouldn't have the platform if it wasn't for Apple. Not to call anyone on here this, but most Android users I know tend to be fairly dim.

So, your argument is so weak that you have to resort to insulting not the platform, not the OEMs who make handsets, not the carriers who offer contracts on them, but the USERS of said platform?

I am not an Android fan by any stretch, but you've gone way too far here, and I'm sure the mods will take appropriate action.

I just wanted everyone reading this to know that not all iPhone/Apple appreciators are like this guy.

Pentalobe

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Calgary, Canada
So, your argument is so weak that you have to resort to insulting not the platform, not the OEMs who make handsets, not the carriers who offer contracts on them, but the USERS of said platform?

I am not an Android fan by any stretch, but you've gone way too far here, and I'm sure the mods will take appropriate action.

I just wanted everyone reading this to know that not all iPhone/Apple appreciators are like this guy.

You've a point @Irishman. It is disappointing to see good discussions degenerate into insults of USERS of a platform and past history in dispute in patent court ("You wouldn't have the platform if it wasn't for Apple.").

It makes a lot more sense to focus the facts and actual user experiences rather than attacking "USERS".

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
The exynox 5 is made by TWO CPU's, one Cortex A15 and one Cortex A7. It is not a CPU with 8 cores

The problem, as I said, is people talking without knowing what they are talking about

Or perhaps, the ones with poor English skills are others.

*facepalm* You don't know what you're talking about.

In current convention, a CPU is an ambiguous term which means different things in different contexts.
CPU dies vs. CPU package vs CPU scaling (cores) vs CPU (the common name for the box of the computer which contains all the data and actual processor package)

The Exynos 5 Octa has 8 cores.
It might have 2 CPU dies. Maybe. Most likely not.
It most likely is 1 CPU package.
But it does have 8 cores. 8.
Stop trying to weasel your way out of it.
You don't have a reality distortion field nor the industry prestige necessary to redefine words.

Just because ARM's marketing people can't draw diagrams correctly doesn't affect the discussion.

Want to see that image done correctly?
Here you go: http://www.arm.com/files/downloads/big_LITTLE_Final_Final.pdf

Shirke

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
I'm going to AT&T when my contract is up this year with Verizon and buy S4.till now I have iphone try something new

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
yawn...all I care about is how well all the functions/apps work. Everything on my iPhone 4S is plenty fast. And my internet speed is limited by my ISP and ISP HW. "Fast" is not innovation. And fast doing what? Nowhere in the article or on the YouTube video did I hear what was being tested.

Samdroids may be smirking, but my iphone is just working!!!:p

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Given that the majority of apps that most people use run mainly on 1 core, these specs are mostly a waste of silicon and battery power. A tiny number of experimental physicists, gamers and people who think they can edit or watch multiple video streams at the same time on a mobile will rejoice in 4 or more cores.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Damn... It's almost as fast as my macbook

Not even close. Even the tiny heat-sink in a MacBook allows each processor core and the memory to run with a much higher performance power envelope. The same clock rate or synthetic benchmark figures means very little on a real mix of apps.

Allen64eva

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it...

Exactly! iPhone 5 is pushing a solid number with its 1.3, 2 core against the GS4 that can't even get twice as fast clocking 1.9 with 4 cores.

But hey this is 'Murica and its gotta be bigger and better so that's all that matters...
Right?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
*facepalm* You don't know what you're talking about.

At least try to inform you before saying others don't know what are they talking. If not, you will look like you're looking right now.

The ****ing Exynos is a SoC with TWO ****ing processors connected.

From the introduction:

In the first big.LITTLE system from ARM a ‘big’ ARM® Cortex™-A15 processor is paired with a ‘LITTLE’ Cortex™-A7 processor to create a system that can accomplish both high intensity and low intensity tasks in the most energy efficient manner

Just after that:

The Processors
The central tenet of big.LITTLE is that the processors[/] are architecturally identical. Both Cortex-A15 and Cortex-A7 implement the full ARM v7A architecture including Virtualization and Large Physical Address Extensions. Accordingly all instructions will execute in an architecturally consistent way on both CortexA15 and Cortex-A7, albeit with different performances.
The central tenet of big.LITTLE is that the processors are architecturally identical. Both Cortex-A15 and Cortex-A7 implement the full ARM v7A architecture including Virtualization and Large Physical Address Extensions. Accordingly all instructions will execute in an architecturally consistent way on both CortexA15 and Cortex-A7, albeit with different performances.

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
At least try to inform you before saying others don't know what are they talking. If not, you will look like you're looking right now.

The ****ing Exynos is a SoC with TWO ****ing processors connected.

From the introduction:

In the first big.LITTLE system from ARM a ‘big’ ARM® Cortex™-A15 [/b]processor[/b] is paired with a ‘LITTLE’ Cortex™-A7 [/b]processor[/b] to create [/b]a system[/b] that can accomplish both high intensity and low intensity tasks in the most energy efficient manner

Just after that:

The ProcessorsThe Processors
The central tenet of big.LITTLE is that the processors are architecturally identical. Both Cortex-A15 and Cortex-A7 implement the full ARM v7A architecture including Virtualization and Large Physical Address Extensions. Accordingly all instructions will execute in an architecturally consistent way on both CortexA15 and Cortex-A7, albeit with different performances.

Chill mate, dont let forum people get to you.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK

----------

Yeah, some of the earlier Intel Macs in their base configs had a Core 2 Solo. I'm sure the first Intel Mac Mini was one of them.

Note how I specifically said laptop. The mini was a core solo (without the 2)

Also, not all android users are dim at all. Note how the iPhone always gets praise for "ease of use" and android it to "complicated".

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth

So if you cant beat them on arguments, just try insults and ignorance ..?

This going back and forth between Android/iOS has come down to personal preference; I have both systems at home, for both very different users. To each its own.

The race for the fastest phone will continue, not so long ago, we had many threads rejoicing over the fact that the iPhone 5 took the top spot, now its the Galaxy S4 again ... c'est la vie.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wait a minute. Samsung Galaxy phone model from this year is faster than Apple's iPhone from last year?

WOW!

Also if you can read, last years model is faster than apples model from last year too.

----------

Please compare the number of cores - The s4 is roughly double the speed of the iPhone5: It only needs double the cores and each core runs 600MHz faster.

Am I the only one loling at this chip-design-fail?

Yes, huge fail. I cant believe how big a fail this is....

----------

The HTC One gets slightly better AnTuTu and Quadrant scores however ;)

Also benchmarks of the Exynos 5 version have been significntly different to the Snapdragon 600 variant.

Quadrant on the snapdragon version is 11-12,000 (same roughly as HTC One)

Quadrant on the Exynos 5 version is 8,000

So the assumption on the front page that the Exynos should score similar to the Snapdragon (despite being clocked 300mhz slower) is not proving to be accurate in some other benchmarks.

We still havent seen benchmarks on final software yet (on both phones)

----------

My MacBook has a single core at 1.6 GHz... How do you think I feel?

My iMac only has two cores at 2.4 GHz each!

Thats not how it works. Cant compare mobile chips to computer chips just yet.

----------

And the keyboard still sucks. The keyboard on my work SIII is one of the main reasons I don't give up my iPhone for personal use. What good is a benchmark if the words I type never show up correctly? I can erase the letters and retype faster?? :rolleyes:

So get a new keyboard, Android has hundreds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.