Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thought get this thread going seeing as we are like 2 months from launch potentially

S23 series headlined by S23 ultra with its 200mp main camera

921f95a642073f1c2c9e03fd21410b4d.webp

8d427bd5aaa7f7c23a117e4372ad5c8b.webp

Best thing about these new devices are snapdragon gen 2 being a global release with massive performance gains

If there is another thread apologies we can combine the two

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Writing this on my Exynos S22+ and for SnapDragon alone I'm going to upgrade to the S23 series straight away. I'm also tempted to go for the Ultra for its cameras, but I'm still not completely sure whether I'm willing to tolerate a curved display for that. If the Ultra went with a straight screen instead of that accidental touch enhancer, my choice would be easy.

Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Writing this on my Exynos S22+ and for SnapDragon alone I'm going to upgrade to the S23 series straight away. I'm also tempted to go for the Ultra for its cameras, but I'm still not completely sure whether I'm willing to tolerate a curved display for that. If the Ultra went with a straight screen instead of that accidental touch enhancer, my choice would be easy.
Exynos was awful for me. I would still have the ultra now if it was on SD

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I wish they would put some form of stock android on these often awesome pieces of hardware and do away with excess bloat-ware.

Well, they have come a long way from the horror of TouchWiz to the current iteration of OneUI, which at least I (who used to insist on my Androids being stock) can use just fine. Sure, there's still some app duplication, but in some cases I actually prefer the Samsung alternative.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I wish they would put some form of stock android on these often awesome pieces of hardware and do away with excess bloat-ware.
I remember when Google and Samsung teamed up to make an s series with stock Android. I don’t remember which model it was but they never made another sadly.

I love Pixel software but not Pixel hardware. If I could have Pixel on a Samsung device it would be a match made in heaven!!

I like the look of the s23 with just the cameras.

I have an s22 plus in green and it is a great phone. I am excited for the 8 gen 2 and will probably trade in the s22 if I can afford it.

However I think the s22 plus is like the most underrated model. The Ultra gets all the attention or the regular s22. I like the Ultra but it is too expensive and I really hate curved screens. The Pixel 7 Pro has a curved screen too. The large flat screen on the s22 plus is perfect and if it weren’t for my family and my kids teachers all having iPhones it would be my primary device.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I love Pixel software but not Pixel hardware. If I could have Pixel on a Samsung device it would be a match made in heaven!!
In terms of aesthetics... I think Pixel Software is better compared to Samsung OneUI, however… only reason why I don’t follow in that direction is the features leave more to be desired.

I remember when Google and Samsung teamed up to make an s series with stock Android. I don’t remember which model it was but they never made another sadly.
Yeah, they were called the Google Play Edition Phones… Google would team up with other Android manufactures as well.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
In terms of aesthetics... I think Pixel Software is better compared to Samsung OneUI, however… only reason why I don’t follow in that direction is the features leave more to be desired.

Yeah, they were called the Google Play Edition Phones… Google would team up with other Android manufactures as well.
If Samsung would implement their call screening software in English and it worked similar to Pixel and let us choose during setup what 3rd party apps including Samsungs to install or give us the ability to Uninstall all 3rd party apps including Samsung's duplicate apps I would be totally happy with one ui.

They have come a long way from TouchWiz!

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I just figured out how to add a GIF to my lockscreen. Now I have Godzilla breathing fire on a tank. My Always On Display has a picture of the Godzilla movie, Destroy All Monsters, LOL.

My iPhone 13 Pro Max can't even do either of those things.

I like my iPhone but customization on OneUI is pretty fantastic. It is these small fun and useless things that make me love my s22 plus more than my iPhone.

Although there are some things I really do like about the iPhone. That is why I enjoy using both platforms since I can't meld the two into one device.

As far as Android goes it has really improved overall in the past few years. Integration with my devices is much better than ever before. I can actually mirror my phone screen on my PC and use the apps on my phone on my PC. I can call and send and receive texts.

The setup is not as smooth and easy as Apple but it is not that difficult to set up either.

Apple still makes better SOC's and in some areas I prefer their hardware like battery life and anti reflective coatings on their screens, better update support and better optimized apps and OS but the gap is closing and they are clear trade offs to each platform.

If Apple doesn't stop trying to monetize everything and continues to expand pushing adds and data mining they are going to lose one of the major benefits they once had.

Although I suspect our privacy is pretty much compromised no matter what platform or device we use as long as we are connected to a network and cellular service.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If Samsung would implement their call screening software in English and it worked similar to Pixel and let us choose during setup what 3rd party apps including Samsungs to install or give us the ability to Uninstall all 3rd party apps including Samsung's duplicate apps I would be totally happy with one ui.

They have come a long way from TouchWiz!
The fact you can get it in korea says to me it will come to everybody else after. It really is a clutch feature and when they add it that will give samsung a good advantage taking away one of pixel's features.

Reactions: jamezr

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I did make a similar thread a few months ago about the S23 lineup. We could merge them if it hasn’t already been deleted.

It will be interesting to see what’s the S23 Ultra has to offer. My 22 Ultra has been awsome so far, the only thing i would ask for is better battery life. The 200MP camera sounds interesting, I’m wondering if it will make the zoom (up to 100X) much better quality? and low light picture quality also.

If Samsung offer more than £500 for my 22 Ultra for trade in towards the 23 Ultra, i will upgrade. The SD coming to the UK would be great, it would hopefully mean better performance and better battery life.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I did make a similar thread a few months ago about the S23 lineup. We could merge them if it hasn’t already been deleted.

It will be interesting to see what’s the S23 Ultra has to offer. My 22 Ultra has been awsome so far, the only thing i would ask for is better battery life. The 200MP camera sounds interesting, I’m wondering if it will make the zoom (up to 100X) much better quality? and low light picture quality also.

If Samsung offer more than £500 for my 22 Ultra for trade in towards the 23 Ultra, i will upgrade. The SD coming to the UK would be great, it would hopefully mean better performance and better battery life.
i am curious for the S23 Ultra. But for me anyways....i don't need a 200MP camera or improved zoom. the camera on the S22U is great and some refinements would be welcomed. I am really enjoying my S22U though.
But I would like to see the below on the S23 Ultra

1) Flat Display
2) Facial recognition software on par with Face ID or what was on the Pixel 4 XL
3) improved battery life.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
i am curious for the S23 Ultra. But for me anyways....i don't need a 200MP camera or improved zoom. the camera on the S22U is great and some refinements would be welcomed. I am really enjoying my S22U though.
But I would like to see the below on the S23 Ultra

1) Flat Display
2) Facial recognition software on par with Face ID or what was on the Pixel 4 XL
3) improved battery life.
The curved displays on phones have to go.

It is one of the main reasons I got the s22 plus. I would have liked the better resolution, cameras, etc. but I hate curved displays.

Also why I am not going to get a Pixel 7 Pro.

I don't know why manufacturers think it is a premium feature. It distracts and detracts from the user experience.

They were cool when they first came out and then you realized how annoying they were.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
The curved displays on phones have to go.

It is one of the main reasons I got the s22 plus. I would have liked the better resolution, cameras, etc. but I hate curved displays.

Also why I am not going to get a Pixel 7 Pro.

I don't know why manufacturers think it is a premium feature. It distracts and detracts from the user experience.

They were cool when they first came out and then you realized how annoying they were.

Curved screens are exactly the reason I also bought the S22+ instead of the Ultra. Unfortunately that also meant that I had to settle for a weaker camera and I'd also have preferred the S-pen. I'm still somewhat undecided on the S23 series, for cameras and the S-pen I'd like to go Ultra, but I'm not sure whether I'd tolerate the curved screen in addition to the larger size.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Curved screens are exactly the reason I also bought the S22+ instead of the Ultra. Unfortunately that also meant that I had to settle for a weaker camera and I'd also have preferred the S-pen. I'm still somewhat undecided on the S23 series, for cameras and the S-pen I'd like to go Ultra, but I'm not sure whether I'd tolerate the curved screen in addition to the larger size.

Feel exactly the same. It would be really cool if the s23 Ultra had similar design of the s22 Ultra with new colors and a flat screen.

With better cameras and 8 Gen 2 I would get it for sure.

Reactions: Roadstar

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I find the S22 Ultra display tolerable in use but where I get nervous is trying to carry the whole phone around in my pocket or purse pocket without the folio case to protect it all. The iPhone 14 Pro Max feels like such a tank and stands up to my day like one. I baby my curved display phones by comparison.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I find the S22 Ultra display tolerable in use but where I get nervous is trying to carry the whole phone around in my pocket or purse pocket without the folio case to protect it all. The iPhone 14 Pro Max feels like such a tank and stands up to my day like one. I baby my curved display phones by comparison.
I have a 13 pro max and I have had since launch. It has been a stellar phone and I am keeping it for a while.

I wasn't planning on getting an android phone. I had a s20 FE I got free in a promotional sale on T-mobile. I use a Samsung sofi account and all the features are only on the Samsung wallet app. Since I knew I had a year left of updates and the value of that phone was dropping fast in July Samsung was having a huge sale and trade in values were high so I decided to trade in the s20FE for the s22 plus. I spent less than $300 on my 128gb s22 plus. I had just finished my 2 year contract with T mobile.

Now I have been using the s22 plus. First I got the regular s22 and the battery life was not good but I liked the device so I quickly returned before I sent in my s20fe and got the s22 plus.

The s22 plus is really well made and even with the larger screen it still feels like a smaller phone. It is so much lighter than my iPhone. I didn't really notice the weight of the iPhone until I got the s22 plus.

I find that I am using the s22 plus more than my iPhone because I just like the feel of it better. I like the screen better as well even though it is only 1080p.

I really don't notice a difference in screen resolution between my iPhone and s22 plus. I don't notice any difference in speed. The OneUI 5 update has gotten rid of any animation stuttering the phone had in 12. There are fun customization and always on display I don't have on the iPhone. Battery life is not as good as my iPhone but it is not bad either. I also like the camera a bit better on the s22.

So while my family all have iPhone and it is easier to communicate with them and on my Mac I just can't put my s22 plus down.

I don't really like the direction Apple is going with no Sim tray and iPhone 15 is ditching physical buttons and the pill cut out kind of looks bad to me although the dynamic island seems like a good feature. I also hate gesture navigation on iPhone compared to Android. Trying to find the back arrow on the top of the screen is a pain compared to just swiping left or right.

Money is tight right now. I can't get rid of my iPhone but depending what I can get on trade in I am hoping I can get the s23 plus when it is released. The Ultra is very tempting but if they still use a curved display the extra cost is just not worth it for me.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
That's one fugly looking phone
What don't you like about it?

I think having just the cameras instead of a bump is cool. The rest of the phone looks like any other modern phone except it has really slim bezels.

I wish iPhone had slimmer bezels and went back to the notch.

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
What don't you like about it?

I think having just the cameras instead of a bump is cool. The rest of the phone looks like any other modern phone except it has really slim bezels.

I wish iPhone had slimmer bezels and went back to the notch.
Boxy look and the cameras, looks ok from the front just the back, 14 pro not any better lol

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
best thing about the s23 ultra will certainly be the SD gen 2. battery life should be a noticeable improvement. sounds like the SD chip mentions how it can remove any kind of shutter lag. Will see on that one

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Samsung still going for the numbers? 200mp? why not 300mp? People still falling for this fake quality ?
I bet even with 300mp the camera will still be worse than 50Mp Pixels. Samsung should hire better PR

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Samsung still going for the numbers? 200mp? why not 300mp? People still falling for this fake quality ?
I bet even with 300mp the camera will still be worse than 50Mp Pixels. Samsung should hire better PR
It does give them more pixels to bin, so there might be an increase in quality. Still, I agree with you and think the Pixels have the best camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.