Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung still going for the numbers? 200mp? why not 300mp? People still falling for this fake quality ?
I bet even with 300mp the camera will still be worse than 50Mp Pixels. Samsung should hire better PR
It will still give better detail quality and to pixel bin that many should only help matters. Sensor is said to be slightly bigger but the pull I imagine will be to let you shot in 12mp, 50mp and full 200mp where needed. So I can certainly see the benefit. 200mp on a great sunny day with a good scenary could produce some great photos.

The benefit will be much improved night mode from the sounds.

Chinese phones are tending to go with massive 1 inch sensors where samsung are going 200mp route. Who knows maybe samsung join the 1 inch sensor gang next year.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
best thing about the s23 ultra will certainly be the SD gen 2. battery life should be a noticeable improvement. sounds like the SD chip mentions how it can remove any kind of shutter lag. Will see on that one
If that‘s the case lets hope they keep the SD for every region forever, that would be an advantage.

Reactions: The Game 161

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
If they copy iPhone and go e Sim only will that affect your buying decision?

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Personally I'm hoping for more battery life. At the moment that's what's keeping me using budget/midrange Android phones and not getting a flagship.

Current setup is a Redmi Note 10 Pro. 5000mAh with a mid-range SD732G means fantastic battery life. 120Hz 1200 nit AMOLED, headphone jack, dual SIM, IP rating, SD slot, 33W charging. Most demanding task is PUBG which is fine at 40-50fps on low settings.

I'd love better cameras, faster UFS storage, a faster chip and a better quality screen. But not if it means significantly less battery life. Especially since my Redmi a quarter the price of a flagship. The TSMC made SD 8 Gen 2 looks to be more efficient so here's hoping.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have a 13 pro max and I have had since launch. It has been a stellar phone and I am keeping it for a while.

I wasn't planning on getting an android phone. I had a s20 FE I got free in a promotional sale on T-mobile. I use a Samsung sofi account and all the features are only on the Samsung wallet app. Since I knew I had a year left of updates and the value of that phone was dropping fast in July Samsung was having a huge sale and trade in values were high so I decided to trade in the s20FE for the s22 plus. I spent less than $300 on my 128gb s22 plus. I had just finished my 2 year contract with T mobile.

Now I have been using the s22 plus. First I got the regular s22 and the battery life was not good but I liked the device so I quickly returned before I sent in my s20fe and got the s22 plus.

The s22 plus is really well made and even with the larger screen it still feels like a smaller phone. It is so much lighter than my iPhone. I didn't really notice the weight of the iPhone until I got the s22 plus.

I find that I am using the s22 plus more than my iPhone because I just like the feel of it better. I like the screen better as well even though it is only 1080p.

I really don't notice a difference in screen resolution between my iPhone and s22 plus. I don't notice any difference in speed. The OneUI 5 update has gotten rid of any animation stuttering the phone had in 12. There are fun customization and always on display I don't have on the iPhone. Battery life is not as good as my iPhone but it is not bad either. I also like the camera a bit better on the s22.

So while my family all have iPhone and it is easier to communicate with them and on my Mac I just can't put my s22 plus down.

I don't really like the direction Apple is going with no Sim tray and iPhone 15 is ditching physical buttons and the pill cut out kind of looks bad to me although the dynamic island seems like a good feature. I also hate gesture navigation on iPhone compared to Android. Trying to find the back arrow on the top of the screen is a pain compared to just swiping left or right.

Money is tight right now. I can't get rid of my iPhone but depending what I can get on trade in I am hoping I can get the s23 plus when it is released. The Ultra is very tempting but if they still use a curved display the extra cost is just not worth it for me.
That all sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with the S22 Plus. I’m not planning on trading the S22 Ultra for the S23 anything, but if I decide to leave Apple due to ongoing aggravation of my nervous system from whatever they are doing with their displays (temporal dithering on lcd displays, pwm strangeness on OLED), it’s good to know about my options.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That all sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with the S22 Plus. I’m not planning on trading the S22 Ultra for the S23 anything, but if I decide to leave Apple due to ongoing aggravation of my nervous system from whatever they are doing with their displays (temporal dithering on lcd displays, pwm strangeness on OLED), it’s good to know about my options.
I've never had any bother with Samsung displays on their own phones. My current Z Fold 4 is (also) fab on the inner and outer screens.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If they copy iPhone and go e Sim only will that affect your buying decision?

For me ABSOLUTELY. I already have my main line e-sim on the 14PM. My second line is a physical sim on the S22 Ultra. No way I'm turning that into e-sim. I'm keeping one of my lines physical sim for as long as I can hold out.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
For me ABSOLUTELY. I already have my main line e-sim on the 14PM. My second line is a physical sim on the S22 Ultra. No way I'm turning that into e-sim. I'm keeping one of my lines physical sim for as long as I can hold out.
I agree it would be a big mistake for Samsung to go esim only. As much as I am interested in the 8 Gen 2 that might be a deal breaker for me too. I have an s22 plus and iPhone 13 Pro max and one reason I didn't upgrade the iPhone was esim only.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Same here...it has been hell switching between my 14 Pm and S22U. The process of switching from sim card to esim and back has been painful.
I am thinking of importing a Canadian 14 PM because they have sim trays.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It should be something we can all do instantaneously via a website or within settings on the phones themselves. Anything else is a hindrance.
yep totally agree. Verizon trys to do this now on their site. But it fails most of the time.

Then they want to send a verification code to another line on my account. I an glad for the extra security and all that.
But I have 2 lines on my account. The other is my 14 year old high schooler. he is in school all day...there has to be another way to verify. Even when I call them and do this over the phone the agents want to send a verification code to another line on my account.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I hope the S23 series still comes with a physical SIM slot. I'm all for eSIM and the advantages it brings, but only after the current shortcomings have been sorted out. For example, here in Finland all carriers still don't support mobile certificate (a way to authenticate to e.g. government services that's tied to your SIM and a passphrase of your choosing) with eSIMs and if I'm not mistaken, all carriers still don't support eSIM transfers to another phone without an activation fee. Luckily for me, my personal line is currently an eSIM on a carrier where I can move it between phones (or my LTE watch) as long as I have the original QR code at hand and remember to deactivate the sSIM on the old device before activating it on another one. However, my main line with my most important services is currently paid for by my employer and that carrier doesn't support mobile certificates on eSIMs yet, so I'm not going to get an eSIM only phone before that changes.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well I guess I am on board for an S23 after all. I'm struggling with nervous system issues on Apple devices. That makes me want to use my s22 more. But the battery life is meh and the fingerprint sensor is not working very well. My Pixel 6 Pro sensor works great so I know it's not a problem with my fingerprints.

I hate curved glass so I am going to be looking at the s23 Plus first. I'll miss the S Pen and the extreme zoom so I'll consider trading in my Pixel 6 Pro if the money is decent. My 14 Pro Max screwed with my brain so that I can't use that display anymore.

I'm not exactly jumping up and down because I wanted my 14 Pro Max to be THE phone. I kind of want to just use one phone and be done with it and I want to be in the Apple ecosystem. But unless you all happen to lurk on the pwm threads you have no idea how much Apple products are screwing up some people. An increasing number of people, apparently.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
yep totally agree. Verizon trys to do this now on their site. But it fails most of the time.

Then they want to send a verification code to another line on my account. I an glad for the extra security and all that.
But I have 2 lines on my account. The other is my 14 year old high schooler. he is in school all day...there has to be another way to verify. Even when I call them and do this over the phone the agents want to send a verification code to another line on my account.
That's what I have is Verizon. If they figure out how to switch from e-sim to e-sim seamlessly, then I would consider getting the 14 pro max. For now I will stick with the 13 mini, and S22 Ultra.

Reactions: jamezr

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Well I guess I am on board for an S23 after all. I'm struggling with nervous system issues on Apple devices. That makes me want to use my s22 more. But the battery life is meh and the fingerprint sensor is not working very well. My Pixel 6 Pro sensor works great so I know it's not a problem with my fingerprints.

I hate curved glass so I am going to be looking at the s23 Plus first. I'll miss the S Pen and the extreme zoom so I'll consider trading in my Pixel 6 Pro if the money is decent. My 14 Pro Max screwed with my brain so that I can't use that display anymore.

I'm not exactly jumping up and down because I wanted my 14 Pro Max to be THE phone. I kind of want to just use one phone and be done with it and I want to be in the Apple ecosystem. But unless you all happen to lurk on the pwm threads you have no idea how much Apple products are screwing up some people. An increasing number of people, apparently.
Heard this mentioned a lot but no idea what it actually does to those affected?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Battery life certainly shouldn’t be an issue with SD gen 2 so you should be happy with that one. In the ideal world one phone would be great but due to each OS and other phones being stronger than others I like to use more phones to use to those strengths. Ideal world is a foldable with top flagship cameras with a wider display and a 8 inch tablet size running flexible software. Which I know will never happen lol

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Looks like the Samsung event will be held in February, any thoughts on what they might announce along side the S23 range? last year it was the Tab S8 series. Also any thoughts on what the pre-order gift might be this year? i'm thinking maybe the Buds Pro 2.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Heard this mentioned a lot but no idea what it actually does to those affected?
Most people it gives migraines of various kinds, mostly headaches and eye pain. Some people get digestive problems and some get vertigo as part of atypical migraine symptoms.

I've gotten "atypical migraine seizures" that fry my ability to process language of any kind. I won't understand what someone says to me, can't read, can't talk, can't write.
With my iPhone 11 Pro and 14 Pro Max I'm not getting painful headaches too badly. But there is some discomfort. But whats very concerning is that, as was the case with my 11 Pro a couple of years ago, I'm losing my physical coordination. I'm tripping over my own feet and staggering a little at unexpected times and crashing into things. My speech has gone a little wonky, as in I'm suffering from aphasia.

My concern is at least two people have learned the neurological effects can become permanent. One person posted that they were diagnosed with permanent damage resulting in a persistent permanent headache that medication can dull only temporarily. Their condition can be caused a virus or a physical injury, but that wasn't the case for them. Somehow their neurologist determined it was damage from the brain coping with whatever the hell Apple's displays are doing.

I used to think it was pulse width modulation, but temporal dithering may also be a problem and now someone else did some research and said it's the nature of the OLED displays Apple favors to be more harmful than the AMOLED displays other manufacturers use. I am keeping an open mind on all of this, because there isn't, as far as I know, any peer reviewed medical research and certainly not anything specific to Apple products.

Basically there are a bunch of us on a couple of MR discussion threads reporting our personal experiences with different displays and our different doctors visits. It's not sufficiently scientific but it's all we've got.

I've cut down device use a lot. I'm limiting myself to an hour of screen time a day. But for holiday shopping I had to be on my iPhone a bit for Black Friday and now Cyber Monday. It's not good.

Right now I'm posting from my S22 Ultra. I wasn't feeling good after using my iPhone for shopping. But now that I've been on the Samsung for awhile I'm feeling better.

In case anyone is wondering, Apple LCD phones aren't the answer for me either. I don't know why, because I'm on a wait list months long for various doctors but I get a flicker at the edge of my left eye's vision that's badly aggravated when I use LCD displays.

I am trying to reorganize my life so that I'm not on any displays unless necessary. Before I go totally Amish, I'm going to try options like Kindles and accessibility options that help blind people navigate sites like this one. And I'll see if AMOLED is in any way something I can and should switch to full time.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
IMO the S22 Ultra is almost a perfect phone in all respects and I returned my 14 Pro Max because it just felt too restrictive after getting used to the freedom of Android. Basic stuff like a proper file manager, clipboard history, proper notifications center, ability to have the number key on the keyboard, split screen, a close all button on the app switcher.

If I were stuck doing any task in an emergency I would go for the Galaxy over the iPhone just for convenience.

The only problem is the battery life and the shutter lag. Battery life is terrible on the S22 Ultra and I hope they massively improve that in the S23. The shutter lag is also awful. Basically impossible to capture a quick pic without blur.

Still the best tech I own and I like it more than my iPad Pro 12.9 M1.

Not sure if anyone notices but the S23 Ultra also feels like a homage to the Lumia 920 in design.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
IMO the S22 Ultra is almost a perfect phone in all respects and I returned my 14 Pro Max because it just felt too restrictive after getting used to the freedom of Android. Basic stuff like a proper file manager, clipboard history, proper notifications center, ability to have the number key on the keyboard, split screen, a close all button on the app switcher.

If I were stuck doing any task in an emergency I would go for the Galaxy over the iPhone just for convenience.

The only problem is the battery life and the shutter lag. Battery life is terrible on the S22 Ultra and I hope they massively improve that in the S23. The shutter lag is also awful. Basically impossible to capture a quick pic without blur.

Still the best tech I own and I like it more than my iPad Pro 12.9 M1.

Not sure if anyone notices but the S23 Ultra also feels like a homage to the Lumia 920 in design.
I liked the design of the Lumia phones...the cameras were great as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.