Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
It's too big for my taste... iphone 4.7 size is the max that i'm willing to go

Reactions: S G

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
That is a really nice looking phone. It pushes to the limits what Samsung has been doing well for a few years now: Large screen in as smaller phone as possible.

Interesting that they've had to move the fingerprint scanner to the back, and leave space for the front facing camera and speaker.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Beautiful phone, I just hate android more than I hate IOS.
[doublepost=1488370203][/doublepost]
Here's a tip for everyone.

Buy the Samsung if you like it.
Buy the iPhone if you prefer.
Don't give a **** what anyone else uses or prefers.
Be happy.

Yep, I hate fanboys. Just get what you like and stop wasting your breath and our time slamming what others like.
[doublepost=1488370345][/doublepost]
It's too big for my taste... iphone 4.7 size is the max that i'm willing to go

agreed. I like my 6s and find that its replaced my iPad for reading. I tried the 7 plus and it was a terrible experience, if Samsung can succeed in increasing the screen size, while only minimaly increasing the size that's a win/win.

Reactions: Pikup Andropov

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
Yes I agree. I was yearning over the Galaxy S7 Edge before I picked up my iPhone 7 Plus. It physically hurt to buy something I knew was inferior in terms of hardware. But...it's just iOS man. I need iOS in my life.

Plus I hate Samsung as a company, regardless of the build quality of their devices.
If it PHYSICALLY hurts you to buy something like a phone, you have serious problems.

Reactions: dannyar

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So most phones this year will be nearly bezel free. This doesn't look that much different than the LG phone announced the other day.

Reactions: I7guy and Telos101

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Beautiful phone, I just hate android more than I hate IOS.
[doublepost=1488370203][/doublepost]

Yep, I hate fanboys. Just get what you like and stop wasting your breath and our time slamming what others like.

Yeah, that'll never happen. Humans have this compulsory need to find ways to "rank" themselves above others. And nowadays, that's almost exclusively through material items. iPhone vs Android. Mac vs PC. Apple vs Samsung. Hell even within Apple produts do fans do it. 6 vs 6Plus. SS Apple Watch vs Sport. Samsung chip vs TSMC chip. People just want to formulate ways to make themselves feel better about their superior product choices.

As for this rumored GS8, I think it looks really cool, and hope that the next iPhone takes a design leap. Yay competition!

Reactions: TechGeek76

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Samsung always gains the upper hand over Apple with its spring phone releases. I don't know why Cupertino doesn't bring the iPhone launch date forward...
And then Samsung would move their release date to January or February so they're always ahead of Apple. Apple has no problem selling iPhones. Why would they switch?

Reactions: AppleScruff1

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
You hate the company that provides iPhone CPU's, flash storage and screens?
May be something to do with yesterday's news?

"South Korea’s special prosecutor indicted Jay Y. Lee, the de facto head of Samsung Group, on bribery charges in the latest blow to the country’s largest conglomerate amid a generational handover."

Story at Bloomberg (and most other news outlets): https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rs-indict-samsung-s-lee-on-corruption-charges

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
May be something to do with yesterday's news?

"South Korea’s special prosecutor indicted Jay Y. Lee, the de facto head of Samsung Group, on bribery charges in the latest blow to the country’s largest conglomerate amid a generational handover."

Story at Bloomberg (and most other news outlets): https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rs-indict-samsung-s-lee-on-corruption-charges
Except, they'd feel that way even if that didn't happen. They just hate no matter what.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
You hate the company that provides iPhone CPU's, flash storage and screens?

They didn't design the CPU, merely fab it. Hate the "provides" bit. TSMC by now is seemingly the biggest producer of Apple A10 chips after a power efficiency win over Samsung.

Also, nobody would "hate" a tech company (except maybe Uber...); that's just silly.
There are actually to put our rage on that actually deserve it and that's not it.
Although in Korea they're close to comic book villain level right now, so maybe they're working towards being actually worth that hate in the future ;-).

Reactions: WWPD

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Market share is an important metric but not the only one. You have to look at iPhone sales on their own merit. It isn't as if developers don't see a profitable market in iPhones. Sales aren't shrinking (even if Android is growing faster), and iPhone users still buy more apps per person. It's really almost nothing like the Mac vs. Windows situation.
Profit might be important, how did Samsung mobile division do recently?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
So most phones this year will be nearly bezel free. This doesn't look that much different than the LG phone announced the other day.

The inside though will be all very different, that's were it counts really.
Eventually all phones will be 5mm thin and all screen on both sides and only their internals, ecosystem and support will truly make a difference.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
I have the same feeling.
I like them as a component manufacturer.
I don' t like them as a brand.
I can understand that, at least you have a reasonable opinion. Most Apple fans seem to want to have their cake and eat it. "I hate Samsung (but please don't go away as we need you to make our magical devices)".
[doublepost=1488371718][/doublepost]
They didn't design the CPU, merely fab it. .
I said they provide it, meaning manufacturing it, not designed it

Reactions: TechGeek76

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
thats pretty damn sexy.

i'm currently using cornerfly on my 5x for the rounded corners - good to see this trend catching up, it looks really good with those corners.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I can understand that, at least you have a reasonable opinion. Most Apple fans seem to what to have their cake and eat it. "I hate Samsung (but please don't go away as we need you to make our magical devices)".

Samsung's component maker divisions are clearly separated from their more commercially minded divisions, so this kind of thinking is not as illogical as you purport it is. The commercially driven divisions are based on a massive amount of marketing (way more than Apple ever does) and slapdash coverage of every consumer electronic segment.

It's component maker divisions is a lot more focused and less showy.

It's their crap commercial divisions that are a festival of intellectual property violations (the Dyson ones are just laughable) and have a not so good reliability and a terrible customer support. That's coming from someone who has had to deal with a lot of this so called customer "support'.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Probably it's only disadvantage. Most people who criticize Samsung's S-series phones haven't tried them - they are actually beautiful devices and the displays are very clearly better quality than what Apple has been using on its iPhones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/23/galaxy-s7-best-smartphone-display-oled/

I have tried them up to the Galaxy S5 and got super tired with its faults and sold it. Same issues that I had with the S4. i Have to admit, the last few models look really nice. Just not sure if I am willing to give it another shot.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Samsung's component maker divisions are clearly separated from their more commercially minded divisions, so this kind of thinking is not as illogical as you purport it is. The commercially driven divisions are based on a massive amount of marketing (way more than Apple ever does) and slapdash coverage of every consumer electronic segment.

It's component maker divisions is a lot more focused and less showy.

It's their crap commercial divisions that are a festival of intellectual property violations (the Dyson ones are just laughable) and have a not so good reliability and a terrible customer support. That's coming from someone who has had to deal with a lot of this so called customer "support'.
I agree with what you say but could Samsung survive as solely as a component company? My point being would they put the effort into component manufacturing if they didn't have products to put them in? who knows...

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Why fix it if it 'aint broke? In terms of the physical design, my perferred version was always the iphone 4/4s, but there's only so much you can do with a device that size which is largely a screen.

Exactly. I can't understand what there is to "radically" redesign and people threatening to not buy (BS anyway).

All of these phones are mostly screens. Best way for that is a rectangle.
Now we have 4 edges. They can be rounded or square.
Same for the sides. Different radii or sharp like etc. 4/4S

Then choice of material aluminum, glass or plastic etc. and colors.

Home button, okay make it disappear if you have to, but then make sure fingerprint sensor still works well.

Then whatever improvements are inside, processor, camera solutions, memory, battery etc.etc.

For those who put their phones into a case the design is mostly hidden.

So, why get excited about any "radical" redesign?

The only thing "radical" would be a foldable phone becoming a mini iPad. SAMSUNG will have that shortly. Apple will poo poo it and then launch its own version.

Last edited:
Reactions: randymac09

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I'm looking forward to it. I was a big Android user in the early days, but then went iOS with the iPhone 5. I got an S7 Edge for work last year and fell in love with the phone and the Android platform all over again. I wont give up my iPhone for personal use, but for work, I figure why not have another platform to use and know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.