Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
anyone else bothered by the stupid curved corners on the display? feels like it would look nicer if they just made the corners flat, almost making the corners disappear to the left and right edges
I'm not an edge fan either. However, the embedded video does give me hope they will continue with the flat design as well. I just got an S7 and hope the S9 will continue to offer the flat bezel when I get a new phone. Or, Apple could allow customization and tempt me to get an iPhone by then. Unlikely, so S9 it will most likely be.

Is that why the iOS App Store is earning more than twice that of the android App Store?
The App Store is earning more than twice that of the Play Store for 3 primary reasons:
1. People buy a crap ton on the App Store
2. China - Google Play Store is not allowed in China. Even though all the Chinese phones run Android, none of them contribute to the Play Store revenue.
3. No competition. Not only does the Play Store have no presence in China, it has to compete with app stores from device OEM's and Carriers.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Samsung always gains the upper hand over Apple with its spring phone releases. I don't know why Cupertino doesn't bring the iPhone launch date forward...

I see the exact opposite. Samsung releases a OMG wow phone, then in the weeks after we find the flaws with it, like the features are gimmicks and don't work as expected... then Apple releases their phone, and it's better and works. Same every year.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Samsung/Android bashers in 3....2.....1

Why? Don't care. I'm sure it's a fine phone but I'm not leaving the warm confines of the Apple ecosystem. Either you prefer Apple/MacOs/iOs or you prefer Windows 10/Android devices.

Samsung always gains the upper hand over Apple with its spring phone releases. I don't know why Cupertino doesn't bring the iPhone launch date forward...[/QUO
See above. Additionally, getting it as close to "right" as possible is more important than the 6 month window. Apple gets the spotlight shining solely on the iPhone. Do you think iPhone users are going to rush to buy a Samsung device and none of the market will be left by September?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Ultimately, you gotta ask yourself what more you want from an iPhone (or any cell phone) that isn't available on the market in other devices at this time. It has to be realistic, because they won't buy you a new car every day or anything like that, and in the end you will find that current phones aren't far from perfected. There are always software and service tweaks and additions that would be helpful, but in the hardware itself there is relatively little.

Enhanced reality is always in need, and would be helpful for anyone needing help or translation or reference, etc.
Better cameras are always needed, and still have a way to go from current phones.
More storage is completely necessary.
Faster processors will always help.
Better screens (for clarity in daylight), yes please.
Better mics. Better voice-recognition assistants.
Better connectivity and larger data streams.
Longer battery life, easier charging.

And that's about it, isn't it? Why people stay up late nights eagerly awaiting new information on smart phones, and then squealing like little girls when an image is leaked, doesn't make much sense. The smart phone needs to be honed and improved, not re-invented/revised. There isn't much to be truly excited about... this isn't 2007.

Reactions: randymac09

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The App Store is earning more than twice that of the Play Store for 3 primary reasons:
2. China - Google Play Store is not allowed in China. Even though all the Chinese phones run Android, none of them contribute to the Play Store revenue.
3. No competition. Not only does the Play Store have no presence in China, it has to compete with app stores from device OEM's and Carriers.
Take all that into consideration and Android would still have a larger market share than iOS, for all the good it does them.

Allow me to sum it all up in in one reason.

You are using the wrong metric to define success. Market share isn't as meaningful as usage share.

Apple's smaller market share belies the fact that it still sells a load of iPhones in an absolute sense, more than enough to sustain a thriving ecosystem and remain intensely profitable. Apple is the most successful of all the smartphone OEMs, and people here are essentially telling Apple to throw away everything which has worked for it and copy a tactic which clearly hasn't worked so well for the competition.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

The PRIMARY reason is that people with iOS phones will PAY for apps, while the majority of Android users won't. Why are you forgetting the #1 reason?

The reason the majority of Android users won't pay is:
#1. They bought cheaper phones not because of Android, but simply because the phones are cheaper. They don't have a lot of money, and won't buy a lot of apps.
#2. They pirate more.
#3. There's a lot of crap on the Android store.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Seriously, if next iPhone isn't completely new design and major advancement from iPhone 6/6plus-7/7plus then Android will take gargantuan lead over iOS. Even now iPhones market share is looking more and more like Mac vs. Windows situation and we know what developers think about shrinking sales opportunities. I truly hope Apple will release totally re-designed flag ship iPhone and also at least one dirt cheap model so that iOS can truly challenge Anroid in every possible market. Dirt cheap models are important for the future of iOS.
Not necessarily, survey shows that devs makes more money on iOS apps compared to Android cause it seems that most iOS users is willing to pay for the apps then Android users

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Still has fairly big bezels. Nothing to see here.

5yKvpkf.jpg

There are no side bezels and the top and bottom are just big enough to fit the camera, speaker and sensors. I'm definitely impressed with the lack of bezel here.

AJ5790

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Phoenix
Probably it's only disadvantage. Most people who criticize Samsung's S-series phones haven't tried them - they are actually beautiful devices and the displays are very clearly better quality than what Apple has been using on its iPhones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/23/galaxy-s7-best-smartphone-display-oled/
But it's a major flaw. I was watching my brother in law scroll through a document this past weekend, and it stuttered and lagged the whole time he was scrolling. Sorry but that's really really really annoying. No thanks.
[doublepost=1488374298][/doublepost]I'm. Not sure about edge to edge now. When in landscape how do you avoid accidental touches along the edge you're holding? If it works great, awesome, it looks good, but I'm not sure about the functionality anymore.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
5yKvpkf.jpg

There are no side bezels and the top and bottom are just big enough to fit the camera, speaker and sensors. I'm definitely impressed with the lack of bezel here.
Of course the home button and Touch ID are not trivial things to solve for. It's not like iPhone has bezels just for the sake of it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I see a lot of threatened iPhone owners.

The Samsung flagship products (less the debacle of the Note 7) are fantastic devices. I've used both iPhones and Samsung (not as long) and both have their positives and minuses.

Anyone that is implying the S7 (for example) is not true competitor to the iPhone is stuck in some RDF.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
The PRIMARY reason is that people with iOS phones will PAY for apps, while the majority of Android users won't. Why are you forgetting the #1 reason?

The reason the majority of Android users won't pay is:
#1. They bought cheaper phones not because of Android, but simply because the phones are cheaper. They don't have a lot of money, and won't buy a lot of apps.
#2. They pirate more.
#3. There's a lot of crap on the Android store.

This is an interesting bunch of random statements.

I look forward to seeing the data to back up the statement that is what the "majority" of users do.

Of course the reason the majority of Apple users will pay is:

#1 They have no clue about technology and will buy anything Apple tells them to
#2 They are all fifteen years old
#3 They don't have anything else to do with their time

And thems the true facts based on specific data I just came up with after literally seconds of no research.

Reactions: sparkie1984

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Wow that phone makes my mouth water. Looks like some futuristic sci-fi phone

Profit might be important, how did Samsung mobile division do recently?
It was affected by the Note 7 outlier. But loyal Samsung customers are waiting for the next big thing coz the Note 7 was basically an S7 Edge with an S pen.If the iPhone 8 uses the same features (which it does) this does and costs above 1k then I am buying it Day 1 and considering the huge price jump Apple is contemplating I wont be the only one. Dont care about what profits greedy companies make. AMD's Ryzen at 300 bucks is competing with Intel's Kabylake at 500 at nearly $200 less and they will never earn as much as Intel does.

Reactions: DanJBS

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
anyone else bothered by the stupid curved corners on the display? feels like it would look nicer if they just made the corners flat, almost making the corners disappear to the left and right edges
If it's like the Note7 I had, it won't be too bad to actually use. Your eyes may beg to differ, but false touches won't usually be a problem. Some people have complained that the fine control toward the edges is compromised, but I never noticed it myself. My daughter did complain that she noticed a difference.

My S7 Edge IS a bit of a pain to use. It's not so much that I have a problem with it, especially not with it cased, but if I hand my S7 Edge over to most other people so they can see photos or something else on my phone, the handoff invariably goes awry because they activate the edges and end up doing goodness knows what and hand the phone back to me in a panic, saying "What did I do, what did I do...I barely touched it!"

Reactions: Arran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.