Samsung Shows Off Prototype Smartphone With Foldable Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At its 2018 Developer Conference, Samsung today showed off its new foldable display technology, called Infinity Flex.

Samsung is using the Infinity Flex technology for a device that features 7.3-inch flexible display that can be folded in half. While in full screen mode, the device is meant to be used as a tablet, and when folded in half, it functions as a smartphone.

Samsung's Infinity Flex demo begins at about one hour and 22 minutes into the developer conference video​

Samsung says that the Infinity Flex display is the "future of mobile display technology" and the foundation for the "smartphone of tomorrow."
    Samsung says that that to design the Infinity Flex technology, it had to invent new materials and reimagine the display from the ground up. The company developed an advanced composite polymer that's "flexible and tough" to replace the glass that's usually used as a display cover in smartphones.

[​IMG]

Samsung also developed a flexible, malleable adhesive that's durable enough to withstand hundreds of thousands of folds, and to make the display thinner than ever, Samsung created a new ultra thin polarizer that's 45 percent thinner than the technology used in its current displays.

[​IMG]

A new software platform is being developed in partnership with Google that supports two UIs, one when the device is open and one when it's closed. Features like app continuity will allow for a seamless experience by keeping an app open when swapping displays, and up to three apps can be run at the same time.

According to Samsung, the Infinity Flex technology shown off on stage is part of an upcoming device that had elements of the design obscured. Samsung says that the device is not a concept, and that thanks to breakthroughs in manufacturing, mass production of the foldable smartphone/tablet is set to begin "in the coming months."

In the future, Samsung also plans to introduce new display technology that includes rollable and stretchable displays.

Article Link: Samsung Shows Off Prototype Smartphone With Foldable Display

2. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Another great category that sets apart innovation just like the Samsung Note series.

3. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

You can open it 5 times before it broken
    Forget stability, CPU & GPU power, security! Just unfold it!

4. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Buy?

Sorry, I need to un-fold that comment.

But why?

5. haplain macrumors member

6. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

This is innovation that far exceeds the notch. Apple will adopt this in 2022-24 when Samsung minimized all the risks and people embrace the phone/tablet feature/function.

MR forum members will hate on this until Apple introduces something similar 4-6 years from now, and claim innovation :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    Phone/Tablet combination is rather appealing, couple that with USB-C and this can dock to accessories. One device to rule the business persons carry-on technology. Apple users will be carrying around their iPhone, iPad and/or MB/A/P with them.

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It is purposely obscured in a case to hide the design elements.
    It was mentioned on stage.

8. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

It's time to deliver, that was Samsung's tagline. And what exactly did they deliver? A device that looked like a box which seems to be foldable. Seen that before. I'm not at all impressed, it's more CGI together with some theatrical sounding orchestra playing in the background in this commercial and some people stating that this is all revolutionary.

I'll be impressed when I actually do see a working device of an ultra-lightweight smartphone that's actually foldable and works.

9. maceric, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

maceric macrumors member

I love the idea… they made a point to lower the lights so all we see is the screen and not the ginormously thick body and bezels. I understand they don't want to reveal the design… but why now? Love the idea, and once the tech can get even better… Apple will create something that is designed better.

10. code-m, Nov 7, 2018

code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Basically two devices in one, when in phone mode chances are the extra battery will assist immensely. MR users needs to figure out what their want, device too thin, no one wants a thin device, device too thick, why is it not thin. Some bipolar comments among the MR crowd.

11. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

Well, my comment still stands. It is thick.

12. maceric macrumors member

OH! I was not paying attention… Here I am also criticizing the body.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

14. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Sniff sniff, is it jealousy I smell. Let’s be honest here, Apple will go to Samsung for this tech in 4-6 years.

15. fumi2014 macrumors member

Apple September Event 2021.

Tim Cook: "But there is one more thing..."

16. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

Code-m. Are you just going to berate all MR folks for the rest of this post or are you going to offer something constructive to the conversation?

17. rubberfish macrumors member

Well he clearly says they have disguised it. So it’s no doubt slim but housed in a thick enclosure for now to keep some secrets.

18. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

Well, your fortune telling glass sphere is definitely something worth buying tough.

19. martyjmclean macrumors regular

martyjmclean

My iPhone 6 Plus was foldable... Samsung always copying Apple ffs.

20. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

The tag line “time to deliver” is for the release of this foldable device, it has been in the works for years and Samsung does not want to be called out for vapourware announcements since earlier this year. Their came through, now hopefully the gen 1 problems are minimal.

21. house13um macrumors newbie

Hoo boy. Samsung be flirtin' with my wallet.

22. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

A foldable car.

23. harrisondavies, Nov 7, 2018

harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

Whether or not Apple follow this trend, it’s no different to other manufacturers following its designs. It’s the name of the game now, shamelessly copying each other. This isn’t innovation in its true sense, we’ve had foldable tech for many years. They’ve just perfected newer materials to make it work. The only difference I see, is if Apple did this, they’d improve it 100%, albeit 6 years too late. No, give me a phone that can make pizza or coffee...that’s innovation. Speaking of innovation, Apple still do innovate. Their processors are killing it.