Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Meh, these foldable devices will suffer the same issues that flip phones had. Hyperextending the bendable portion over time will result in severed or compromised connections. Half or intermittent full screen in tablet mode...

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You would think google has this eventuality covered? No?
We’ll find out after the phone has been released. I give Samsung credit for angling for a different type of form factor compared to what is on the market now. Phones from all manufacturers are only distinguished by minor design or hardware differences that make the market pretty bland. Nice to see something new being tried whether it does well or not.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Why does Samsung have a developers conference these randys dont have an OS they just use Android.
They more than "just use Android". Samsung bakes a lot of features into their framework. Some good, some terrible, but they are getting better at it.
Plus Bixby integration, and Smart Things development.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
That’s the first time they showed a working prototype in 2013. Aren’t we in 2018? Look how much Samsung has been “hyping” the phone since then. You lose.
The working prototype they showed in 2013 was released the following year i.e. Galaxy Note Edge. Not sure how this is an issue. 2013 was nothing to do with folding phones.

Reactions: rjohnstone

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
It’s going to be a niche phone at best. Most people will prefer a simple, sturdy and reliable form factor. If their phone will ever released to the public, it will get some Uuuhhhs and Ahhhhs - but hardly anyone is going to buy it.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
They more than "just use Android". Samsung bakes a lot of features into their framework. Some good, some terrible, but they are getting better at it.
Plus Bixby integration, and Smart Things development.

These aren’t features. It’s called bloatware.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
That’s the first time they showed a working prototype in 2013. Aren’t we in 2018? Look how much Samsung has been “hyping” the phone since then. You lose.

You stated that Samsung had never make this tech public. I showed you evidence that they had going back 5 years ago. And this is your response? What you claimed was absolutely false. You should admit that instead of moving the goalposts.

Here's let me remind you of what you claimed.

The difference is that Samsung hasn't hyped anything in fact they stayed quiet about it and all you heard was rumors by people other than Samsung.

But then you wrote...

That’s the first time they showed a working prototype in 2013.

The fact is simple. Samsung has been hyping foldable displays for many, many years. I'm sorry you don't follow tech news closely enough to be aware of this fact. At one time in my past, I authored tech column and followed this kind of news very closely. Samsung's long history of hyping foldable displays is not uncommon knowledge.

Anyway, I'm so done discussing this with you. You're clearly trying to make pointless arguments about things that are demonstrably wrong. Have at it.

:rolleyes:

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
You stated that Samsung had never make this tech public. I showed you evidence that they had going back 5 years ago.

The evidence you provided from 5 years ago had absolutely nothing to do with folding phones. That was Samsung demoing their ability to form a display into a static shape. This led to the first Note Edge phone being manufactured the following year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1050792

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Exactly. The 2013 CES Samsung demo in the link was about the edge displays, NOT the folding phone concept.
Then why would someone bring that to the subject since we were talking about the foldable phone? Why send that link as something Samsung was hyping? Edge is completely different from foldable.
[doublepost=1542300598][/doublepost]
You stated that Samsung had never make this tech public. I showed you evidence that they had going back 5 years ago. And this is your response? What you claimed was absolutely false. You should admit that instead of moving the goalposts.

Here's let me remind you of what you claimed.

But then you wrote...

The fact is simple. Samsung has been hyping foldable displays for many, many years. I'm sorry you don't follow tech news closely enough to be aware of this fact. At one time in my past, I authored tech column and followed this kind of news very closely. Samsung's long history of hyping foldable displays is not uncommon knowledge.

Anyway, I'm so done discussing this with you. You're clearly trying to make pointless arguments about things that are demonstrably wrong. Have at it.

TIL = Edge / Foldable.
If you say those two are the exact same then I’m not bothering to even discuss it with you LOL.

perspective002

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2018
Basically two devices in one, when in phone mode chances are the extra battery will assist immensely. MR users needs to figure out what their want, device too thin, no one wants a thin device, device too thick, why is it not thin. Some bipolar comments among the MR crowd.

Wait. People have different opinions?!? No, surely the whole group just doesn't know what they want. Has nothing to do with that it's made up of a ton of individuals have different values and want different things.

Guys, we better pick collectively now, get your votes in if we're going with slim devices or thick ones. Once we choose, we all have to act accordingly as not to confuse code-m!! ;)

Seriously though, I definitely won't be an initial customer if it's this thick. I understand why it is, but that doesn't change it. I like when products are more refined and where the technology has caught up to our ambitions. This has a Google Glass feel to me in that it's rumored to be extremely expensive and will have drawbacks to traditional smartphones. The real reason you get this first iteration is to just be on the bleeding edge and you have to be okay with putting up with the inevitable issues and drawbacks. Nothing wrong with that, but again, that's not my cup of tea. And SURPRISINGLY, some here might disagree with me (gasp) :eek:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Well Royole just beat Samsung to releasing the first foldable phone. I still don't see the value as I feel the hardware and software is clunky, but maybe it makes sense for Samsung to push it out (since they won't be first anymore) and release something a little more polished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.