Samsung Smart TVs Adding Support for iTunes Video Content and AirPlay 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today announced that it has worked with Apple to integrate iTunes movies and TV shows, as well as AirPlay 2 support, into its latest smart TVs. The features will roll out to 2018 models via a firmware update this spring and will be included on new 2019 models. iTunes movie and TV show access will come via a new dedicated app for Samsung's TV platform, available in over 100 countries.

[​IMG]
    Apple's Internet Software and Services chief Eddy Cue weighed in on the partnership, noting "We look forward to bringing the iTunes and AirPlay 2 experience to even more customers around the world through Samsung Smart TVs, so iPhone, iPad and Mac users have yet another way to enjoy all their favorite content on the biggest screen in their home."

Article Link: Samsung Smart TVs Adding Support for iTunes Video Content and AirPlay 2

2. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

3. Jasoco macrumors 6502

4. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

So I can mirror my iphone/ipad screen to these new Samsung TVs without the need of an Apple TV?

5. cmaier macrumors G4

That’s the theory.

6. AndersM macrumors newbie

Does this mean I can Airplay video and audio from my mac and iphone to a samsung tv, or is it just to Airplay audio from the tv to Airplay compatible speakers?

7. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

are there any inventive ways to do without the Apple TV and stream movies in 5.1 from your computer? EG, do these TV's have Plex or similar?

8. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

9. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

“We cracked the tv... by putting stuff on Samsung tv’s!”

10. MhzDoesMatter macrumors regular

Holy...

Between this and Apple Music via Alexa devices, is Apple beginning a hard pivot away from using its services to differentiate its devices? AppleTV and HomePod depended on those for competitive advantages.

11. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

One part of apple and Samsung fighting to the core in the courts. Another part in heavy coopetition. But this is good for consumers.

12. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

I believe the court fights are long over .

13. Rogifan, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

A few thoughts:

1. This, along with Apple Music on Alexa devices indicated Apple TV and HomePod are overpriced and not selling as well as Apple would like. I suspect we’ll see a cheap Apple TV dongle this spring. And I think this reaffirms that Apple has no plans to sell its own TV set.
    2. Apple is transitioning from a premium product company to a services everywhere company. Perhaps it’s what they have to do but it sure as heck isn’t that exciting.
    3. No idea what this means for Siri. Apple Music on Echo devices isn’t using Siri. I’m going to assume the iTunes app on Samsung TVs won’t be either. Wither Siri just as they promoted the ML/AI chief to the executive team?

14. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

The only thing I don’t like is how they always specify with newer model TV sets. That makes it useless for ppl with older sets. Same thing with Alexa. They roll out updates. But only on newer model sets.

15. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I absolutely think we are seeing the early beginnings of Apple repositioning itself as a brand.

16. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yep. I don’t think it will be as exciting of a brand. Susbscriptions to TV shows and magazines isn’t sexy.

17. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

Nope

18. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Correct, the seven year battle was settled last year. However, the real point was moving from fighting to cooperating. A new Apple perhaps?

19. Khedron macrumors 6502

20. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

21. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

For games I guess. And for people who may not own Samsung TVs.

22. MDF314159265 macrumors regular

MDF314159265

A major win for “We the Consumers.”

23. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

I really don't use any of the built in apps on my Samsung TV and I went through and deleted what I could because I got tired of the small ad that appears in the little menu thing when I press the home button.

I'll continue to use my Apple TV. I bought a 4K ATV for every TV in my house. I think this iTunes update would apply to two of them.

24. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

Since I’ve bought an lg-oled tv I’ve no longer use for my Apple TV. Today’s modern tv-sets make the Appletv obsolete. There hasn’t been any compelling reason for me to keep the Appletv. Much of the services Apple is offering are USA only and I find the Appletv too restrictive. Other than that it’s a stagnant platform.

25. Khedron macrumors 6502

Tim's philosophy is if you can't charge 3 times the standard industry margin why bother

And no one is buying a $300 Apple TV