Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
So I can mirror my iphone/ipad screen to these new Samsung TVs without the need of an Apple TV?

looks like it, but I always experience some lag when i mirror movies or larger video files. Maybe its the graphic card, but it hasn't worked well for me.

Apple TV is pretty much a waste of space unless you use beamer (thank you Macrumors for those who told me about it), Tim has done nothing with it, and HAS NO vision for it.

Personally, if it wasn't for the app Beamer, Apple TV would be pretty much useless for me as I already other devices that can run netflix. Apple TV could have been amazing and really leveraged Apple's ecosystem, but if the fish is brain dead, it's not going anywhere.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Haven't seen any Smart TV functionality that isn't a bag of hurt up to this day, they all suck, over complicated, slow, don't always work ... Chromecast and AppleTV are a bit better but not that great either.

Smart TV’s have come a LONG way. I have the latest LG 4K OLED too and the streaming apps and overall UI runs great. The only reason I have an Apple TV is because all my purchased media content is through Apple. Apple is seeing the future and there is no need for separate hardware clogging up space. It’s all about software services and content.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I only buy "dumb" things when it comes to things like TVs, fridges, toilet roll dispenser, etc. I want fewer cameras and microphones around the house, not more. I tell my kids to keep their device cameras covered or they could end up naked on the internet. No privacy invasion here folks...move along. Still loving my ATV2.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Never would have thought this would happen.....tells you were :apple: is heading :D......

What happened to the idea that Apple would start their own tv business...they could have literally purchased LG OLED TV division...guess that's never happening. Betta buy some company soon like Tesla....RIP AppleTV streaming box as well......

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I absolutely think we are seeing the early beginnings of Apple repositioning itself as a brand.
Agree 100%....i think they will transition to more a services company than hardware. Slowing iPhone sales might precipitate this change.

Reactions: Cryates

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I support it. Services are becoming much more critical in the long run than hardware. Apple sees this and is shifting their strategies. I hope this results in a more open minded Apple when it comes to their services and new features in products. Take the training wheels off.

Reactions: HMFIC03 and DotCom2

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I really don't use any of the built in apps on my Samsung TV and I went through and deleted what I could because I got tired of the small ad that appears in the little menu thing when I press the home button.

I'll continue to use my Apple TV. I bought a 4K ATV for every TV in my house. I think this iTunes update would apply to two of them.
i have a 2016 set so it won't matter for me but i find those samsung apps always kinky as hell their youtube app is always crashing so i'll still with my rock solid Apple TV

Reactions: Huck and rbgaynor

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
1. They should have opened AirPlay 2 long time ago

2. Sounds like to me they will kill AppleTV 4K soon.

We are in a very sad state of Apple hardware ecosystem.

Not necessarily. Some people will still prefer the Apple TV interface to the mess that is smart tv’s. Apple can still offer a great experience for the TV while still selling services on other platforms. It’s still easier/cheaper to add an Apple TV to any TV opposed to buying a new Samsung TV. We can have both options and all will be okay.

Reactions: Octoberist

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Holy...

Between this and Apple Music via Alexa devices, is Apple beginning a hard pivot away from using its services to differentiate its devices? AppleTV and HomePod depended on those for competitive advantages.
Reality is, Apple is coming to terms that they never really cracked either category; in terms of streaming devices Apple TV is OK, but that market is owned by Roku, followed by Google and Amazon. As for smart speakers, HomePod is essentially a flop, a distant third behind Amazon and Google

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Apple has been so dominant in the hardware market for a long time but as that market starts to shrink, Apple is in the weird position of having to rethink their entire strategy and lean on services moving forward. It’s weird in the sense that they’ve rode this dominant wave of hardware for so long that it’s forced other companies to lean on services. Now that the market is shifting, Apple is going to be late to the game when a lot of other services companies have perfected their craft.

I’m not predicting the company to be doomed or anything, but common sense would tell you Apple won’t be on top forever. The markets just shift too much over the course of time. What I do think however, is this is a very pivotal moment for Apple. We’ve gotten reports of down iPhone sales frequently over the last few years, it’s not new, but this time it’s obvious Apple is concerned. I’d guess they are aware the brand has to shift its strategy, but they know it’s not going to be easy when frankly they’ve neglected service offerings for too long. Let Siri’s lack of development (until recently) be a sign of that.

Last edited:

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Meanwhile my 2016 model is left in the dust. The Smart TV functionality is such a bag of **** on mine that I doubt I will buy another Samsung. I've replaced the functionality with a Chromecast Ultra but it would be nice to have support for the Apple stuff.
This is me. Got older model Samsungs, LG, and Vizio television sets. Which I guess will get no love from Amazon Alexa, or Apple.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Very worrying and it shows that Apple is becoming desperate to make as much revenue from its services in order to please those shareholders. It could all hit them in the face though, for example does the Samsung TV has enough processing power to deliver a 100% playback of a 4K iTunes film? If not, it's not Samsung that will the blame from a Samsung fan but Apple. They'll be the ones telling their friends how 'crap' iTunes films are. I see it a hundred times with Samsung fanboys who criticise everything that Apple does but do not own any Apple products and never have - I see guys at my gym who are like this and they take pleasure in telling me really pathetic things such as 'Apple is disgusting, they don't pay taxes' (even though they probably gives beautiful careers to one million people worldwide, use 100% renewables.

I also have to question Samdung's OS and security. How secure is their TV platform. You'll be signing your Apple I.D. into this monstrosity. Also, do Samdung still make 'decent' TVs? I thought they where relatively 'average' now?

It seems so weird that two companies who hate each other would do this. Talk about lowering your standards and ethics. I've never done this in my life and being a man with integrity, never would. More money - more problems :)

What a total shame and a true mess for Apple. I never thought that i'd see this day.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
Apple is preparing for the coming streaming service with this strategy. They need more than Apple TV customers to get enough revenue. I hope they dont open everything for other companys. I like the closed ecosystem because it runs really fine for me. If more companys like Samsung will support this I believe we wont get the UX that we know today.

kevin_tron_taco

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2016
Burbank, CA
Weren’t there rumors that the Apple Streaming service would be free for Apple owned devices? Could still be used as incentive to buy their devices but also offer a subscription fee for the millions of people that don’t own Apple devices. Pretty smart, actually, and this Samsung rollout needed to happen to make the streaming service competitive.

Reactions: HMFIC03

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
And no one is buying a $300 Apple TV

USD$179.00 for Apple TV 4K 32GB, the only model anyone should bother with at this point.

1. They should have opened AirPlay 2 long time ago

2. Sounds like to me they will kill AppleTV 4K soon.

1. AirPlay 1 is on many third-party devices like my old Pioneer AVR. AirPlay 2 will be even more available.

2. There is no reason to open up the Apple Media ecosystem just to close it down to only partnered TV manufacturers. Insane to think they will kill the standalone box.

My LG OLED is fine... no problems.. works great, don't bother with any apple tv, firesticks or such things...

Don't care about iTunes, but hope LG support airplay too soon

I think the LG webOS-based interface is pretty poor personally, but AirPlay would be a welcome feature.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not necessarily. Some people will still prefer the Apple TV interface to the mess that is smart tv’s. Apple can still offer a great experience for the TV while still selling services on other platforms. It’s still easier/cheaper to add an Apple TV to any TV opposed to buying a new Samsung TV. We can have both options and all will be okay.
I have a TCL with Roku integration. The interface isn’t a mess at all. And the Roku app allows me to use my iOS device as a keyboard if necessary, supports voice and headphones. What’s so great about the Apple TV interface anyway?

Reactions: WatchFromAfar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.