Samsung Smart TVs Adding Support for iTunes Video Content and AirPlay 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2019.

1. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Where have you seen a $300 Apple TV? 3 times the industry standard? - oh I get it. Hyperbole.

2. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

It’s not the same story. iTunes is a large part of their Apple TV hardware. Until now if you’ve wanted to play back iTunes movies you needed Apple hardware (except on Windows PC). It’s been this way since the original Apple TV and there was not even a hint that this was going to change in the near future.

iTunes, the media player was just that, a program. Not such a big deal to port it to another OS. Besides it was necessary to sell the iPod to Windows users.

3. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Nah. If you have a 2017 tv, and there is someone with a 2018 tv. The internals for streaming don’t change that much. It’s a marketing ploy to sell newer models.

4. macjoshua, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

macjoshua macrumors 6502

5. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Once again I am late to the party, but I don't know how thrilled I would be about any TV manufacturer adding support for any streaming service, or any other software. I have a smart Samsung TV that had apps but since the TV is 4 years old one app after another have been dropping away, and evidently there isn't a way to fix the problem, although I'll admit its been at least 2 years since I tried fixing/replacing any of the Samsung apps. The cost of a Fire stick or Roku or ATV is cheaper than buying a new tv every couple of years and unless things have gotten remarkably better then depending on anyones Smart TV puts you on the Frustration Expressway.

6. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

This is ace actually. Fair play to both companies :D

Now to convince the other half to get a new tv. :p

7. TonnyM macrumors member

ITunes as a service has been open to other platforms (Windows) for a long, long time. Apple Music has been available on competitive platform (Android) almost since its start, long before HomePod. People may be confused cause iTunes and Apple Music are exceptions in usual Apple service strategy, but it all makes perfect sense.

8. tatsumi macrumors member

Depends. If you, like me, don't like AndroidTV because it is sluggish and buggy, then yeah, having an Apple TV is a more pleasant experience I suppose.

9. citysnaps macrumors 601

Smart TV's may have gotten better. But...No thanks. I'd never allow a Samsung/LG/Visio/Sony/etc TV a direct connection to the internet, whether through WiFi or RJ45. Don't want the random ads, open microphones, data collection, etc.

My 4K Apple TV is fast, runs smooth as silk, has the features I want, and acts as a buffer to the above.

10. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Well it was my experience the last time I bough a TV in 2017.

What major TV manufacturer uses Roku as a built-in OS? I’ve seen and used Roku-branded TVs in the past, but was not impressed with anything about them, least of all what I consider the most important part, the picture quality. I also have a Roku box, which is fine for what it is, but if I’m going to have a box, I’ll stick with Apple TV.

And what does spy-riddled have to do with it? Apple is the only platform I trust not to sell my info, but even they are spying on my viewing habits. Anybody using any “smart” anything is getting their data monitored, whether it’s being abused or not.

11. sirozha, Jan 6, 2019

sirozha macrumors 6502a

HomeKit hub.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2019 ---
    Visio.
    Buy an Apple TV. It’s amazing.
    $300 Apple TV? Is it in Kiwi dollars?

12. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Just read an article that may explain why this deal happened. Apple is trying to become a major player in the online streaming world and they need more tv’s and smart devices that can access Apples content.

13. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I think this is a good move by Apple and it doesn’t bother me they may be making brand adjustments, even larger brand changes, to adapt to the current and future market. Can’t stay the same forever. I think the time when Apple products were the best products (hardware, since that’s really what they started with) are over. A MacBook Pro, iPhone, etc. aren’t really special anymore. What keeps people customers is their software and total ecosystem. I still think iOS and MacOS are the best software solutions and Apple’s continues overall support of privacy and overall security keeps me loyal. Unless that changes, I’ll stay a customer, much as I get frustrated with some of the decisions they make. I’ve always been a Samsung TV user so when mine is ready to be replaced, I’ll replace with another. Though I’m now not sure I’ll buy another Apple TV.

14. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

TCL is the big one I think. They’ve been around since 2014-ish.

This is all besides the point, I also bought a C7 in 2017 because of the picture quality. What I don’t do is let it have regular access to my network or the internet so its OS is mostly useless to me. What was your point again?

You’ve only really said that others didn’t impress you. What possibly impresses you about webOS and the LG remote? I think the wand waving and the scroll wheel are frustrating to use, the cursor shows up when you don’t want it to. Inputting commands is slow. I often have to repeat button presses when trying to change picture modes because my inputs don’t register as the menu animation plays. Same experience navigating the settings menu.

This attitude is so tiring. Give up because I’m too lazy to care. You have a great deal of control within tvOS about what is used and not used for personalization and disgnostics. You can not use features if they creep you out. Apple will anonymize most of your data even when you do consent, and do it properly.

LG hasn’t convinced me they take the same care.

15. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

I'm with you. I have a four year old Panasonic plasma tv which has great color and an even older Sony tv. The Netflix app on the Panasonic tv needs to be launched twice before it works and each launch takes at least a minute. The picture on the tv is great. Why should I bit a new tv every couple of years to update the apps when I can just buy a new Apple TV if needed and is less expensive. Plus Apple is great with updating the operating system keeping the Apple TV relevant.

16. sirozha, Jan 6, 2019

sirozha macrumors 6502a

They don’t need to buy Netflix. What does Netflix have that Apple doesn’t? They can compete directly with Netflix and actually drive it out of business.
    No, silly. YOU get the 30% cut delivered directly from Apple by courier in an envelope with an Apple seal and authentic Tim Cook’s signature.
    You still won’t be able to use the Samsung TV as the HomeKit Hub.

17. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Thanks for the reply, but you seem to have missed my original point. When I last looked at TVs with built-in smart features in 2017, the best TVs were pretty much Samsung, Sony, LG, Vizio, in that order. TCL wasn’t even a real consideration, to say nothing of the other Chinese brands. Of the 4 major brands, I settled on Sony as having the best picture, only after going through a Samsung and LG. The LG was the best smart features of the four major brands I tried. I never once suggested any of these were better than an Apple TV, much less the major outboard boxes, like Roku, Shield, or even Amazon. That’s why I currently use an Apple TV exclusively, except for a few Android TV OS apps which aren’t available on the ATV.

18. DriedTurnip macrumors member

DriedTurnip

Must have dirty fingers, mine is 18 months old and still immaculate.

19. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

Actually, Apple joined 'Movies Anywhere' about a year ago? Could be wrong on the time period, but if you sign up for the service, most movies purchased from Apple, Google, Microsoft, and several other services can be played across devices. I still purchase my movies from iTunes, but even if I didn't have an Apple TV, I'd still be able to watch them via Google Play Movies, Amazon Prime, or on my XBox.

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

That’s because most people owned Windows PCs and a PC was necessary to sync music to iPods. Notie iPod sales took off once iTunes came to Windows. Apple knew people wouldn’t buy a Mac just so they could use an iPod and iTunes.
    iTunes on Windows was all about selling iPods. Beats Music was already on Android so it made sense for Apple Music to be there. I’d be curious to know how many Apple Music subscriptions come from Android.

21. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Roku’s aren’t bad actually, but not every tv is a Roku TV. I like the app selection on Apple TV’s, the interface is really simple and easy to get to content quickly, and the TV app is great when you integrate a number of different apps. I just prefer it and I can hook it up to any TV I want.

22. Craven Morehead, Jan 6, 2019

Craven Morehead macrumors newbie

Here's a better idea for Samsung...stop forcing your crappy owned apps onto our TV's without our permission. I had a 50" Samsung that was a couple years old that worked perfectly. However, the "smart" hub of that older TV did not allow me to start up from an app (like the Spectrum TV app)- I dont have a cable box on this TV so the app is the only way to get Spectrum programming.

So mid last year, I went a purchased a NEW Samsung that had that ability....It worked perfectly as advertised until early this December when Samsung forced a firmware update to the TV. It now no longer starts up from the "last app", even when selected. The issue is that Samsung forces your TV to start up with their company owned app "TV Plus". Its an absolute POS app and there is no way to fix it at the moment. It's a known issue across many sites. Twice, I sent e-mails to Samsung and they told me to load an updated firmware, which did absolutely nothing. They finally just told me that I would have to wait for a future firmware updated. I asked for the previous firmware to load and they would not give it to me. At this point, I'm pretty much stuck and have lost all respect for the brand.

23. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

How is it possible that so many people can be posting that an Apple TV is of little use?

We stopped buying DVD and Blurays, and use an Apple TV quite often (daily) to stream our iTunes purchases, as well as Netflix and Hulu subscriptions to our 55" 4K TV. We also use it frequently to mirror our MacBook or iMac screen to the TV.

I don't know what I would do without one.

24. KPandian1, Jan 6, 2019

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

You should check out Vizio (second prop for this brand in today) because their quality is not second to Samsung or LG - especially the P and P-Quantum series. More reasonable prices.

Don't know much about TCL - specs seem OK.

Waiting for the Micro-LED screens; same LCD mode.

Not too keen on OLED, price; also longevity questions.

25. kuwxman macrumors 6502a

kuwxman

Sometimes, sure. The majority though? The tech simply is not in those TVs. No different than cars, phones, etc, etc, etc.