Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
No one "needs" anything made by Apple. That said, streaming via AirPlay and playing iTunes content is not all that an AppleTV does.

Yeah? Last I checked, my AppleTV 4K is collecting dust. YouTube, Netflix, VLC, and even the Weather Channel app all work better via Andriod on my Sony OLED. There is also NOTHING the AppleTV does better than a Firestick or Echo. Apple made the worst decisions with the AppleTV and not making it a gaming platform killed developer interest. All I lost from never using my AppleTV is the ability to view photos on my TV and music Cover Art from my collection.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Do they include updates for the spy software too? Great!

I would be interested to see/read about what measures will be taken to secure people's Apple ID using this app for Samsung TVs. It would make sense to me to have some kind of authentication for the App (e.g. an app-specific password) to link it to your iTunes account rather than inputting your actual password (which shouldn't really be necessary, and surely isn't desirable).

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Do I even need an Apple TV at this point

“We cracked the tv... by putting stuff on Samsung tv’s!”

I'm feeling the exact opposite. Apple TV made a huge jump since TVOS was released. It integrates perfectly into (my) Apple ecosystem - using HomePods and iTunes Match (not Apple Music) and altogether serving HomeKit as a hub for remote access, Additionally, it's so much faster than the native Smart TV apps - just compare Amazon Prime or Netflix on both for instance. For me the biggest achievements in the last years weren't Face ID and stuff, but the combination of Apple TV/HomeKit/HomePods (or other wireless speakers) to be honest. That said coming from a PowerBook G4 first, so I know the old days.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple's Internet Software and Services chief Eddy Cue weighed in on the partnership, noting "We look forward to bringing the iTunes and AirPlay 2 experience to even more customers around the world through Samsung Smart TVs, so iPhone, iPad and Mac users have yet another way to enjoy all their favorite content on the biggest screen in their home."

Does this mean the iTunes app on Samsung TVs will only work if you own Apple hardware? Or was Cue just referring to AirPlay?
[doublepost=1546813097][/doublepost]
They won’t do it because it cheapens their brand. The Apple TV isn’t “overpriced,” it’s exactly where they want it to be: at the top end of the market and offering a premium experience. Have you ever used these Samsung TVs? They’re horrendous. Brutally slow, terribly organized, constantly “updating” and “unavailable.” The Apple TV is just a joy to use.
What is the premium experience? My Apple TV is collecting dust. The only time I use it is when Apple is streaming a keynote. With one button push on my Roku remote I can quickly launch any app. And the apps themselves are just as good as their Apple TV counterpart.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
USD$179.00 for Apple TV 4K 32GB, the only model anyone should bother with at this point.

1. AirPlay 1 is on many third-party devices like my old Pioneer AVR. AirPlay 2 will be even more available.

2. There is no reason to open up the Apple Media ecosystem just to close it down to only partnered TV manufacturers. Insane to think they will kill the standalone box.

I think the LG webOS-based interface is pretty poor personally, but AirPlay would be a welcome feature.

WebOS is actually the best of the major smart TV platforms. The problem for LG is there’s not a lot available for it. As LG gains market share that might change. But not right now. I had an LG, and upgraded to a Sony. I really miss webOS.

hick9

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah? Last I checked, my AppleTV 4K is collecting dust. YouTube, Netflix, VLC, and even the Weather Channel app all work better via Andriod on my Sony OLED. There is also NOTHING the AppleTV does better than a Firestick or Echo. Apple made the worst decisions with the AppleTV and not making it a gaming platform killed developer interest. All I lost from never using my AppleTV is the ability to view photos on my TV and music Cover Art from my collection.

Your's might be collecting dust but it doesn't make it a bad device. If your TV does everything you need it to maybe you should have never bought the AppleTV? Everyone's experience and usage is different. I have a new 2018 Samsung TV and the built-in apps do not work nearly as smooth or as fast as my AppleTV 4K. To switch in-between apps on the TV is a much slower process. I also watch a lot of podcasts and content stored on my Mac which I can't view just with the TV. I personally use a 3rd party app called Infuse which works fantastic and will stream any file you can throw at it.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
People ITT being dramatic saying "they're gonna kill off the Apple TV! apple are moving away from a hardware model to a services model"

Apple have known for a long time that they're not maximizing the amount of money that can be made from their services sector. You can expand your market/operation into services without "giving up" or "moving away from" hardware.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Well crap! And I was all set to buy an OLED TV this year that Samsung doesn't make!! :mad::confused:o_O
I would still buy OLED over anything samsung
[doublepost=1546813520][/doublepost]
Your's might be collecting dust but it doesn't make it a bad device. If your TV does everything you need it to maybe you should have never bought the AppleTV? Everyone's experience and usage is different. I have a new 2018 Samsung TV and the built-in apps do not work nearly as smooth or as fast as my AppleTV 4K. To switch in-between apps on the TV is a much slower process. I also watch a lot of podcasts and content stored on my Mac which I can't view just with the TV. I personally use a 3rd party app called Infuse which works fantastic and will stream any file you can throw at it.
yup I will always use my shield or apple tv .. smart tv apps are horrible

hick9

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Does this mean the iTunes app on Samsung TVs will only work if you own Apple hardware? Or was Cue just referring to AirPlay?
What is the premium experience? My Apple TV is collecting dust. The only time I use it is when Apple is streaming a keynote. With one button push on my Roku remote I can quickly launch any app. And the apps themselves are just as good as their Apple TV counterpart.

I think a lot of it is just personal preference. I have tried a Roku once and just didn't like the feel of the interface. That said it doesn't mean the Roku is a bad device at all. Most of my media is stored on my Mac/iTunes so AppleTV makes it easier for me personally. Why buy the AppleTV if you have a Roku?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
It has always been the case that there is more money in content than there is in content players.
In a way it is surprising it has taken this long.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014

The interface is well-designed and fluid; everything is fast and responsive. With one push of a button you can ask Siri to open any app, show you any movie/show, search by actor/director/genre/etc, and change settings. You can also control your HomeKit devices, find your iPhone/Watch/iPad, and numerous other functions. You can do a universal search and find which content is playing on any streaming service. Seeking in movies/shows is second to none: you can see an up-to-date screenshot of your content while you swipe around. Apple has individually rendered 4K content in the iTunes store to play as accurately as possible. The box dynamically adjusts refresh rate to match the content being displayed. It is also the only streaming box to offer 4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos. Then there are the smaller things like an unmatched selection of apps, including hundreds of pretty good games. The screensavers are gorgeous. You can view all your iCloud Photos, play all your music, and access files on your computer.

Need me to continue?
[doublepost=1546814180][/doublepost]
I think a lot of it is just personal preference. I have tried a Roku once and just didn't like the feel of the interface. That said it doesn't mean the Roku is a bad device at all. Most of my media is stored on my Mac/iTunes so AppleTV makes it easier for me personally. Why buy the AppleTV if you have a Roku?

Roku is cheap and does the job but the UX is just trash.

Reactions: citysnaps

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The Verge has this bit of additional information regarding privacy:

"Apple tells The Verge that Samsung’s smart TV ad-tracking features cannot track viewing usage within the iTunes Movies and TV Shows app, in another example of Apple’s focus on privacy."

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
The interface is well-designed and fluid; everything is fast and responsive. With one push of a button you can ask Siri to open any app, show you any movie/show, search by actor/director/genre/etc, and change settings. You can also control your HomeKit devices, find your iPhone/Watch/iPad, and numerous other functions. You can do a universal search and find which content is playing on any streaming service. Seeking in movies/shows is second to none: you can see an up-to-date screenshot of your content while you swipe around. Apple has individually rendered 4K content in the iTunes store to play as accurately as possible. The box dynamically adjusts refresh rate to match the content being displayed. It is also the only streaming box to offer 4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos. Then there are the smaller things like an unmatched selection of apps, including hundreds of pretty good games. The screensavers are gorgeous. You can view all your iCloud Photos, play all your music, and access files on your computer.

Need me to continue?
[doublepost=1546814180][/doublepost]

Roku is cheap and does the job but the UX is just trash.

The Fire Stick 4k supports all that at less than a third of the price of the Apple TV 4k

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
...So you can get 4K iTunes video on a Samsung TV, but not on your ****ing 5K iMac?

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
I mean if you are actually bother watching 4K HDR content on your OLED, nothing is better than the Apple TV 4K quality wise especially with Sony’s subpar Dolby Vision HDR implementation in built their sets, as someone who has an LG and Sony Oled in the house. Unless you’re exclusively watching 4K HDR movies from a UHD disk, then Apple TV 4K will give you the closest quality to UHD disk, and their free UHD upgrades doesn’t ever hurt :)

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
The only thing I don’t like is how they always specify with newer model TV sets. That makes it useless for ppl with older sets. Same thing with Alexa. They roll out updates. But only on newer model sets.
That's because the required technology isn't in those older devices.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I’ve had 4 apple TVs, an original that I sold to fund a 3rd gen, a 4 and a 4K. It’s taken until now I feel, to become truly worth having. All the UK terrestrial channels are available, I can watch freeview on the Channels app and would happily ditch Sky if were only up to me.. So wondering what this means for future Apple TVs, have Apple given up when they’ve finally got the product right?

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
The Fire Stick 4k supports all that at less than a third of the price of the Apple TV 4k

That’s pretty new, but regardless everything else still stands.

Also, Apple doesn’t spy on your watching habits and use it to sell you more ****.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
NO WAY buddy. These Samdung's do not have the security of tvOS, their OS is poor and doesn't get updated often. It will not feature Auto Frame which is essential nor Dolby Vision and probably will not have Dolby Atmos. It won't have the processing power of the A10X chip and the A12Bionic on the next ATV etc.

Apple TV is the best box out there and Apple certainly know that with sales increasing every year worldwide.
I just feel that offering your high polished iTunes platform to a second or third class OS/TV is very bad news.
Apple used to pride itself on a incredible user experience. I'm not convinced that a Smart TV platform will demonstrate this!

LOL Apple TV is not even a TV set.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Fanboiness is getting me sick...:confused:

Some of you guys can praise all you want Apple TV is a free world...still you are missing 1 little not important thing the display and as far as i know Apple doesn't manufacture them....Samdung... LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.