Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's pathetic that apple fans can be so blind.

HISTORY: It's a community spirit that has grown over many years being looks down at and has something to do that back in the day we all were designers working on Macs.

However, moving to your statement, there are good uses for PENs. Like this one for example from WACOM:

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Bamboo/BambooPaper/iPad.aspx

The point SAMSUNG wants to make is to be cooler than stupid apple users (how they see us in their commercials) because we don't use a pen to move someones head. It's just a bad commercial. They highlight a pseudo USP in their marketing campaign. Zero emotions. Trashing other target audience people. Seriously, if you want me to switch, don't trash my products. Especially not with customers having an emotional brand attachment. Wouldn't work with Nike either.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Samsung Guy: "Excuse me sir, I see you have an iPhone there. We're from Samsung and we're trying to compare our phone to the iPhone. Could we pay you $20 for a few moments of your time?"

iPhone User: "Yeah, okay."

Samsung Guy: "Let's say it's your cousin's birthday today, and you want to send them a customized message."

iPhone User: "Oh, it actually is my cousin's birthday today. I sent him a nice custom card in the mail with Apple's free app, Cards. It's got a photo of the two of us on a family reunion trip we had earlier this year, and a personalized message inside. It's embossed, really nice, he showed it to me on FaceTime this morning when he video called to thank me."

Samsung Guy: "Er, uh, moving on. Let's say you want to tell your friends how to get from point A to point B here in the city. Like a walking map."

iPhone User: "Oh, I don't need to send them a walking map. All my friends have iPhones so they'll just ask Siri how to get there."

Samsung Guy: "Uh… well…. let's see how well you do PowerPoint. Load up a presentation and move some slides around."

iPhone User: "Sure, I'll just do that in Keynote. Yup, done. Oh, yours is still trying to load?"

Android User: "Dang, that Keynote looks way better than my PowerPoint."

Samsung Guy: "Okay, we can't use any of this footage, let's find somebody else. Hey, that lady over there looks borderline retarded. Let's go ask her if she's got an iPhone. Man, why did the execs send us out here to do such a stupid challenge we can't possibly win?"

Android User: "Oops, I dropped the stylus again down another storm drain. Quick, I need another."

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
that's easy, given that a major part of iphone users are just stupid rich people who buy it just because it's cool.
since ios 5 you don't need a pc to start your iphone, i mean, what do you need a smartphone for, if you don't even have a computer?
that also reflects on the poor quality/usefulness of most of apps you can find on the store, mostly garbage, fuss to impress friends, laugh once and then forget.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
5.3"?? :eek: Again, 5.3" ?? Are we Yetis?!

It's the perfect mix of a phone and a tablet and actually useful. Especially when you're on 24/7 on call duty and need to do real stuff on the road. That thing can replace a notebook in many situations.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
This is not blind Apple love.
Personally, I wouldn't "argue" that the size is too big. If Apple's device size changed a bit, I'd accept that. Might be disappointed if it was that big, might not.

The stylus... meh. I think it's been proven over the last years that a stylus isn't really needed for normal everyday tasks. One company includes one with their phone and another doesnt... But you can get one if you really want it.

The content of the commercial however is really bogus. An ad should highlight what your device can do better or more efficiently than the other, yet this ad simply compares the proficiency of the users. I really hope that others are smart enough to see that.

Visions of Idiocracy. Anyone want to go get a Starbucks?

Real iPhone User: "Hey, there's an app for that!".
Girl on video: "What's an app?"
Samsung guy: "Shh! Be quiet or you won't get paid!"
Girl on video: "But I want to know!"
Samsung guy to cameraman: "Cut!"

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
iPhone User: "Oh, I don't need to send them a walking map. All my friends have iPhones so they'll just ask Siri how to get there."

i don't know where you live, but you cannot pretend all your friends to have an iphone 4s. better if you said to use whatsapp, which runs on every smartphone..

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It's the perfect mix of a phone and a tablet and actually useful. Especially when you're on 24/7 on call duty and need to do real stuff on the road. That thing can replace a notebook in many situations.

Get a life! :D

----------

i don't know where you live, but you cannot pretend all your friends to have an iphone 4s. better if you said to use whatsapp, which runs on every smartphone..

Lol, maybe you should find new friends.
Anyway, send them a walking map once, and you'll suddenly become their new On-Star Service.

----------

The point is that you don't have to look for apps to do that on a Galaxy Note. It already has them.

It already has it, together with a ton of bloatware.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Samsung trying to take on Apple's mindshare = losing proposition.

All Samsung is really achieving:

1) Hurting other Android OEMs

2) More free advertising for Apple.

1) Who cares. Samsung builds the best Android phones. End of discussion.

2) Actually, no. After this add, even the dumbest iPhone user (who is NOT a die-hard-impossible-to-convince-otherwise-fanboy) gets the message that Apple phones are castrated devices by design. The Galaxy Note isn't.

But it's amazing. When Apple did the I'm a Mac ads, everybody found them cool. Now somebody returns the favor to Apple - and unlike Apple can even demonstrate features that the iPhone simply doesn't have - the Apple crowd enters a collective state of whining.

Get over it, guys. You're only consumers, and both the iPhone and the Note are just soon-to-be-forgotten throw-away products. Buying **** is not a lifestyle. It's not a religion. It will not bring you enlightenment. It will not make you a better or more successful or happier person.

All that being said, I did not even have to see a single ad from Samsung to convince me that they sell the superior product. Dozens of magazine review paved the way for them, and after I was able to compare an older Galaxy S with my iPhone 3G I was sold on both Android and Samsung. When I compare current iPhone 4/4s models with current Galaxys, the current iPhones appear even less attractive. iOS feels old and boring. And it's still a castrated, restricted platform that does not give its user space to breathe.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
that's easy, given that a major part of iphone users are just stupid rich people who buy it just because it's cool.
since ios 5 you don't need a pc to start your iphone, i mean, what do you need a smartphone for, if you don't even have a computer?
that also reflects on the poor quality/usefulness of most of apps you can find on the store, mostly garbage, fuss to impress friends, laugh once and then forget.

You are kidding, right? I mean, I really, really hope you're kidding. Otherwise this is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. I could point out the reasons why, but I'm going to just hope that this is one of those sarcastic responses that are misinterpreted on the internet.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

2) Actually, no. After this add, even the dumbest iPhone user (who is NOT a die-hard-impossible-to-convince-otherwise-fanboy) gets the message that Apple phones are castrated devices by design. The Galaxy Note isn't.

But it's amazing. When Apple did the I'm a Mac ads, everybody found them cool. Now somebody returns the favor to Apple - and unlike Apple can even demonstrate features that the iPhone simply doesn't have - the Apple crowd enters a collective state of whining.

Get over it, guys. You're only consumers, and both the iPhone and the Note are just soon-to-be-forgotten throw-away products. Buying **** is not a lifestyle. It's not a religion. It will not bring you enlightenment. It will not make you a better or more successful or happier person.

All that being said, I did not even have to see a single ad from Samsung to convince me that they sell the superior product. Dozens of magazine review paved the way for them, and after I was able to compare an older Galaxy S with my iPhone 3G I was sold on both Android and Samsung. When I compare current iPhone 4/4s models with current Galaxys, the current iPhones appear even less attractive. iOS feels old and boring. And it's still a castrated, restricted platform that does not give its user space to breathe.

Wow! You mention the word 'castrated' as if you would have gone through that experience. My condolences to you.

As a side note, I'm certain that most iPhone users would agree with me that I prefer a iPhone because it works well, rather than a phone with 'neon lights' and unnecessary animations and sounds that pretends to do everything, but does it half-way, in a mediocre way.

Last edited:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
So they make an "experiment" testing the two phones with two different people... surely it'd have made more sense to have the same individual test both phones? Anyone with an ounce of sense would know that, especially as the iPhone can do all those activities mentioned.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
HISTORY: It's a community spirit that has grown over many years being looks down at and has something to do that back in the day we all were designers working on Macs.

However, moving to your statement, there are good uses for PENs. Like this one for example from WACOM:

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Bamboo/BambooPaper/iPad.aspx

The point SAMSUNG wants to make is to be cooler than stupid apple users (how they see us in their commercials) because we don't use a pen to move someones head. It's just a bad commercial. They highlight a pseudo USP in their marketing campaign. Zero emotions. Trashing other target audience people. Seriously, if you want me to switch, don't trash my products. Especially not with customers having an emotional brand attachment. Wouldn't work with Nike either.
I bought a Targus Stylus for my iPad thinking I was going to need it.
It happens that I discovered that I don't really need it. I can write just as good with my finger.
Just the other day, I took notes at a day-long convention with my iPad, not with the stylus, but by typing. I used an app called Notability (among others I have) which has easy outlining features and also records synchronized audio while typing.
I was surprised on how good my notes came out compared to previous notes I took on paper last time. Everything organized, properly outlined and ready to print. No need to transcribe the notes when I got home as I had to do in the past.
My hands didn't get tired or sore, typing went smoothly.

I do use the stylus to have my customers sign a work order after work completion, only for their convenience and to avoid their dirty fingerprints on my display :D

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

My iPhone is not 'castrated' as you say. It does the things I need it to do, without a lot of crap that I don't want. If I need it to do other things, I download an app. Just because the Note can do things out of the box that my iPhone can't doesn't make it better. I'd rather have less stuff on it and be able to download the things I need than to have it filled with a bunch of junk that I'll never use because Samsung thought it was cool.

My iPhone doesn't make me a better person. It does make me a slightly happier, more productive person. Any technology that makes my life a little easier makes me a bit happier. That's good enough for me. You accuse us of being biased towards Apple, and yet you have a pretty heavy bias towards Samsung. To each his/her own.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US

Oh my, what a stupid comment. iOS devices are popular with people who aren't nerds like the people who post on this forum, because it's a well designed and controlled OS. Most iOS device owners I know don't care about it being "cool", they just like it because it works well and is simple to use. At work I only ever sold two Android tablets and one customer came back with a system services error that was reoccurring, even after a hard reset. When an iPad owner comes back with an issue most of the time it'll be easily fixed by restarting the app.

Also, poor quality? Compared to what? The Android market, rife with malware? There are a lot of useless apps on the app store, yes, but it's still far better than the Android market.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
My iPhone is not 'castrated' as you say. It does the things I need it to do, without a lot of crap that I don't want. If I need it to do other things, I download an app. Just because the Note can do things out of the box that my iPhone can't doesn't make it better. I'd rather have less stuff on it and be able to download the things I need than to have it filled with a bunch of junk that I'll never use because Samsung thought it was cool.

My iPhone doesn't make me a better person. It does make me a slightly happier, more productive person. Any technology that makes my life a little easier makes me a bit happier. That's good enough for me. You accuse us of being biased towards Apple, and yet you have a pretty heavy bias towards Samsung. To each his/her own.

The one thing the Note can do better than the iPhone is: To use more space in your pocket...
...that is, if it fits! :D
Great size phone for those who like to wear Guayaberas.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
1) Having choice is a great thing. The Galaxy Note isn't for everyone, but for some its perfect who don't want to carry 2 devices being a tablet and phone.

2) How is Android 2nd rate? The basics of phone, contacts, and calendar it does just as well if not better. With ICS 4.0 it is a superior user experience over iOS 5.

3) That is fine if you like the look of the iPhone.

4) The iPhone is fair game for Samsung and others to go after as it has the most market share in the US. MS will do it soon to.

The problem with most iOS users is that the whole thing has become a religion as opposed to using what technologies will work the best for them. None of the manufacturers have a lock on this.

I agree that the iPhone is fair game but making fun of iPhone users and customer base is just dumb.... Those are the very people that you want as customers so why make fun of them?

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Samsung has assets of $343 billion, Apple has assets of $140 billion. So, please tell me how you plan to advise Mr. Tim Cook on how to run his company? Next time think before posting.

Genuine question, where did you come up with these numbers, everything I see says Samsung ~120 Billion Apple ~116 Billion.

Also when looking at buying a company you would want to look more at current assets for the company doing the buying and probably market cap for the company being bought, which reenforces your point that it's simply not possible.

All plausibility aside if Apple bought Samsung they would make some brilliant products.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
These commercials are pointless because instead of convincing iPhone users to switch, they're just making us say "wait, that's a lie! my phone can easily do that!"

This woman just wasn't tech savvy at all, and she would have had the same results if you gave her a Note, she still wouldn't know how to use it. Unfortunately, many smartphone users are oblivious to most of their phone's capabilities.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
1652e.jpg

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Apple experimented with a lot of different sizes before settling on the one they did. The reason? Ease of use. The average person's thumb can reach every corner holding it portrait, and two thumbs can reach all parts of the screen in landscape. Apple's not going to make a bigger one, and if they did, a lot of people would not buy it. I would not buy it, for the same reason I don't buy 17" laptops. Bigger is not always better, and what matters is portability.

But nice trolling. I notice you're posting from an iPhone.

First off I'm not trolling. I've been a member since 2007 and have had a lot of posts on the site.

And what does posting from an iphone have to do with this? I use what works for ME AT THE TIME. If something else fits my needs better I will switch to that.

Oh and I'm sure apple will come out with a bigger screen iphone in the future if not the iphone 5 will have it. Every other phones are getting bigger screens and apple will follow.

James

cienzod

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Hmm the guy only had a couple of hours to learn how to do all that stuff?? Yeah Right!...Anyway the send a map to a friend via email test...Waaaay quicker on a iPhone...Google Maps, Directions (Select Walking), Press the Home Button & Power Button at same time (Screen Shot) open Camera, Select Camera Roll and the Email...

If you're gonna do a Street Challenge, make sure you don't stack the deck first...It would have been much better if they'd picked 2 people who've never had a Smartphone and done some "Basic" tests...like the Pepsi Challenge...they could have still stacked the deck, but it would have been more convincing.

Love to have seen all that done without the stylus as well! Ha! What a joke!

:apple:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.