Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I think it would be awesome if Apple came out with one of their usual commercials just showing things that iPhone can do...... And showcase everything that it supposedly could not do in this commercial. That would be a great subtle comeback without stooping down to the level of idiocy in these poorly done commercials.

Or, in typical Apple fashion, stay focused and continue innovating.
Leave the following to others.

ARobinson

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Smart advertising, but still a weak ploy. An experienced note user against a clearly inexperienced iPhone user that challenges her with loaded questions. The note is a newer phone built with features other manufacturers or developers have yet to tackle in their own software (i.e. Masking). Thats like asking an 4S using asking a 3GS user to ask Siri, "what time is it."

Not to mention this women seems like an actress to me. Believable at first, but half way through I felt like her defeat was too willing. I would have rebutted with something I can do on my 4S I know a samsung phone is incapable of, and there is a lot to choose from. This women acts like she just bought her iPhone, while her opponent likely had a hand in building his phone.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
That would just raise Samsung to Apple's level. I agree, it would be awesome, but only a tiny proportion of cell phone fanatics would get it, and it would just make it seem like Apple saw Samsung products as a threat. Hint: they're not.

Or, in typical Apple fashion, stay focused and continue innovating.
Leave the following to others.

Both very good points.

kelesh

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Wow, Apple forums are disturbing.

I was an iPhone user from day 1 and for 3 years. Android user for the last 2 years. I'm a Mac system administrator.

iOS has better apps, but Android is not far behind.

Some big problems with iPhones are:

Widgets: Almost 5 years in, and iOS still doesn't have widgets. Customizing screens with widgets is awesome. Grids of icons is a terrible interface. Inconvenient and ugly. Personalization is awesome.

Screen size: No options for different screen sizes. 3.5 inches is small. 4.3 inches is great for people with normal and slightly larger hand sizes. 5.3" is big but fine for most men. Videos, games, web browsing, email, etc are more enjoyable with larger screens. The Note is big but it fits in my pant pocket or jacket pocket fine. Phones with 4.3" screens are very pocket-friendly and hand-friendly.

Usage of the pen is not required. None of the normal Android apps require it. I've been using this device without the pen and it behaves exactly like my previous Android devices. I don't want a tablet. I just want a phone with a sweet screen.

Sony311

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Actually... YOU lose

Actually IPhone 5 is supposed to be coming out with a LARGER screen......So you owe JForestZ34 an apology....Cause Apple is following the same way as everyone else = bigger screens....YOU lose

BTW I own both an Iphone and Android Phone and I will admit the Iphone is looking Long in the tooth in regards to specs and features. Maybe IPhone5 will fix that.

Oh, and to add insult to injury Fanboy....Who do you think makes The IPad and IPhone screens? Samsung (Possibly LG for the Iphone5)...You lose TWICE. Stop being a fanboy and be a real consumer. Dont get me wrong I like the IPhone but the technology behind it is starting to lag behind...8MP phone? My android had that before 4S...Apple right now is playing catchup. The only reason they sell so many phones is that their commercials actually work.

You lose-I don't want an ipad cause I think it's too bulky for my daily needs-MAYBE a Kindle (yes a non-Apple product then again I have an HP desktop) but I wouldn't want it always with me. Sure I would be happy if the iPhone was a bit bigger but not that big...

As for the stylus. Well I had a Palm Pilot and hated it.

Last edited:

warboat

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
The Stylus, Screen Size and all that

And if you do need/want a stylus**, there is a much more elegant (and probably more precise) one available that works with iPhones, iPads, and similar touch-screen devices: Adonit has a whole range of "Jot" styli, including the pressure sensitive Jot Touch ( http://adonit.net/product/jot-touch/ )

So, nothing the Note does that an iPhone doesn't do (better) --including fit in your pocket.

**For example, if one is an artist and would like to draw with a pen rather than a finger on your iPad…

THE STYLUS:
It seems like a lot of people are poo pooing the stylus in the Galaxy Note.
Do those people realise the Note has 2 layer digitizer. It has a capacitive layer that works with fingers for multi touch pinch/zoom etc like most smatphones. Then it has the hi-res *Pressure Sensitive* layer that works with the stylus.
While most will poo poo the idea of a stylus because Steve Jobs said it's useless, I'm sure quite a few of you have tried to use a capacitive stylus on say an iPad to discover that it is grossly inaccurate and you have to draw everything superbig and then shrink it to even resemble your idea.
I have tried the Note and LOVE the stylus on it. It is SUPER precise, I can draw diagrams and ideas and ink over anything and ink over other people's ink-overs! You can even, I don't know how to term it, conference INK where you can all be inking over the same picture live on a conference call. If you need more than words to express an idea, the stylus is very desirable.

THE SCREEN SIZE:
I have been carrying around a Dell Streak 5 inch phablet for nearly 2 years now. And I carry it everywhere! IN MY JEANS POCKET!
If you've never used a 5" phone, you don't know what you are missing. I used to carry around a tablet with me, but I got sick of carrying a big tablet around. The 5" phone is a practical compromise for a full size tablet and I can have it with me ALL THE TIME, ANYWHERE! I can whip it out and use it in a club without looking like a dork. And I can use it to view sites in desktop mode without having to zoom and scroll anywhere as much as on a 3.5" phone.
OK, so what's it like to hold a 5" phone up to your face and talk on it? well, once you get over the "oh, I feel a bit embarassed" talking on this huge phone thing, it will simply become natural. The number 1 question I get when I use the Streak as a tablet is "can it make phone calls?" and that is where tablet users get a little envious because their 3G tablets can't make a phone call. "gee that's a HUGE phone" is a common remark. But you get used to it and I get a lot of positive interest in it as they can see that it is POCKETABLE and they know they could use a bigger screen than what their phone offers.
Needless to say, I love my Dell Streak. You would have a hard time offering me something in exchange for the Streak. Until now. I have been looking at a replacement for my Streak and not much existed in this notepad category until the the Galaxy Note came along.
The Samsung Galaxy Note is a technological masterpiece in the notepad form factor. It is a wonderful device to the right people. You can mock it all you like, but there are tablet users out there like myself who love it. I haven't got the Note yet, but it is definitely in my upgrade path unless something better comes along.
Sorry for the long rant, but I felt a post from a 5" phone user may offer useful insight against all the hyperbole and mockery.

LiesForTheLiars

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
THE STYLUS:
It seems like a lot of people are poo pooing the stylus in the Galaxy Note.
Do those people realise the Note has 2 layer digitizer. It has a capacitive layer that works with fingers for multi touch pinch/zoom etc like most smatphones. Then it has the hi-res *Pressure Sensitive* layer that works with the stylus.
While most will poo poo the idea of a stylus because Steve Jobs said it's useless, I'm sure quite a few of you have tried to use a capacitive stylus on say an iPad to discover that it is grossly inaccurate and you have to draw everything superbig and then shrink it to even resemble your idea.
I have tried the Note and LOVE the stylus on it. It is SUPER precise, I can draw diagrams and ideas and ink over anything and ink over other people's ink-overs! You can even, I don't know how to term it, conference INK where you can all be inking over the same picture live on a conference call. If you need more than words to express an idea, the stylus is very desirable.

THE SCREEN SIZE:
I have been carrying around a Dell Streak 5 inch phablet for nearly 2 years now. And I carry it everywhere! IN MY JEANS POCKET!
If you've never used a 5" phone, you don't know what you are missing. I used to carry around a tablet with me, but I got sick of carrying a big tablet around. The 5" phone is a practical compromise for a full size tablet and I can have it with me ALL THE TIME, ANYWHERE! I can whip it out and use it in a club without looking like a dork. And I can use it to view sites in desktop mode without having to zoom and scroll anywhere as much as on a 3.5" phone.
OK, so what's it like to hold a 5" phone up to your face and talk on it? well, once you get over the "oh, I feel a bit embarassed" talking on this huge phone thing, it will simply become natural. The number 1 question I get when I use the Streak as a tablet is "can it make phone calls?" and that is where tablet users get a little envious because their 3G tablets can't make a phone call. "gee that's a HUGE phone" is a common remark. But you get used to it and I get a lot of positive interest in it as they can see that it is POCKETABLE and they know they could use a bigger screen than what their phone offers.
Needless to say, I love my Dell Streak. You would have a hard time offering me something in exchange for the Streak. Until now. I have been looking at a replacement for my Streak and not much existed in this notepad category until the the Galaxy Note came along.
The Samsung Galaxy Note is a technological masterpiece in the notepad form factor. It is a wonderful device to the right people. You can mock it all you like, but there are tablet users out there like myself who love it. I haven't got the Note yet, but it is definitely in my upgrade path unless something better comes along.
Sorry for the long rant, but I felt a post from a 5" phone user may offer useful insight against all the hyperbole and mockery.

I honestly have no issue with this product, it's their silly ad campaigns that make me shutter in disgust. Also, my pockets must be smaller than yours because when I put a phone that size in my pocket I look like I'm wearing Oompa Loompa pants.

oompa-loompa-costumes-01a.jpg

Sony311

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Uh, your Iphone screens (up to 4S model) are made by SAMSUNG....fanboys (sigh)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The last time I used a stylus was like 10 years ago Samsung just stick to making tv an leave the phones to apple = )

Sony311

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
wirelessly posted (mozilla/5.0 (ipod; cpu iphone os 5_0_1 like mac os x) applewebkit/534.46 (khtml, like gecko) mobile/9a405)

today's lesson: Apple can't buy everything. :rolleyes:

+1

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How is it I feel stupid for samsung after this commercial? Really? You think anybody is going to fall for the note when you're only showing stupid **** I can do that nobody cares about. Poke fun at apple all you want, there is a reason apple is the most successful business in the world now with close to 100 billion in CASH assets accrued In only a decade. They makes things people want, and can't screw up! That's the difference between Windows and OSX, yes windows has more capability, but we all know which system runs better, because it doesn't try to do too much, it just works!

And there is a reason Samsung can afford to do it...they make the Iphone screens for Apple. (up to 4S model...LG to possibly be making the Iphone 5 one)

warboat

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Challenges:
- Map directions.
Samsung: Draw the route by hand. Lines aren't neat and the route could be wrong.
iPhone: Insert start and end addresses. Lines are perfect and the route is as good as one from Google maps.
+1 for the iPhone.

actually, you can do exactly the same thing with google maps on any Android.
On top of that if you use the google voice search, you can simply hit the microphone icon and say "Navigate 244 Main St, Whereever" (while driving for eg, nudge nudge wink wink) and it will do it for you.
With Siri, it will only try to navigate if you are in the USA. Google voice search will navigate anywhere in the world. Super handy when you are travelling overseas.
So it's not +1 for the iphone here. More like a draw. Maybe a 0.5 for the Note because sometimes you need to draw directions to difficult situations like "enter from next street to carpark" "park in this area and shortcut thru here"

Sony311

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
I think they're made by LG, actually. Samsung does make parts for the iPhone though. :eek:

Whoops my bad...You are correct LG does make the display. Samsung makes the main processor as well as the flash memory chips that store music, photos and other user data. The processor is based on an architecture licensed from Britain's ARM Holdings Plc.

I think Samsung was to make the Iphone5 screen (so I just mixed it around) :p

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
That was, possibly, the worst advertisement I've seen in a long time.

I quite literally couldn't wait for it to be over, and I want the 3 minutes I wasted watching it back.

1) Is cropping your head off and pasting it onto someone's body something you see yourself doing very often?

2) Even if it was - wouldn't you find some way of doing it that didn't involve a cellphone?

Did this commercial make you feel good about yourself? Did it make you smile at the pure lovability of our human family? Did it amaze you with the artful beauty of human ingenuity?

Answer: None of the above. It made me physically loathe the sort of ******** who thinks sending a photo of disembodied head marks him as an interesting/valuable person. It makes me wonder what sort of mental defectives Samsung has working in its marketing department. Does Samsung really have so little respect for our powers of reason that they think anyone thinks this is a realistic exhibition of how people will use their wretched phone?

Of all the ways you could demonstrate the (questionable) virtues of having a ginormous smartphone screen, the way they chose to illustrate the Galaxy Note was boring, contrived, and absurd.

Samsung is a lame company, making lame product, using horrible commercials to sell to the worst people in society. A pox on all their houses.

warboat

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Samsung Guy: "Er, uh, moving on. Let's say you want to tell your friends how to get from point A to point B here in the city. Like a walking map."

iPhone User: "Oh, I don't need to send them a walking map. All my friends have iPhones so they'll just ask Siri how to get there."

Firstly, you need a 4S to use Siri and last time I checked, the majority of iPhone users don't have the 4S.
Secondly, if you don't live in the USA, or travelling outside the USA, Siri just tells you navigation functions only works in the USA.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Sooo faaaaaake.

Samsung, you are so lame. Just wait till the stylus holder wears out and people start losing styli. Happened with my old Palm as it was TOTALLY ANNOYING.

If you see a stylus, run...

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I found the Siri Santa commercial slightly more believable than this.

warboat

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Again Stylus

Sooo faaaaaake.

Samsung, you are so lame. Just wait till the stylus holder wears out and people start losing styli. Happened with my old Palm as it was TOTALLY ANNOYING.

If you see a stylus, run...

The plastic palm pilot stylus are yesteryears. These days smartphones with stylus are metallic and are magnetised so they stay in the holder. If you have to quickly switch from stylus to finger, you can even just magnetically stick the stylus to the outside of the phone to free your hand (like hit the indicator while you are driving :p)

You can still use fingers, you don't have to use the stylus, but it is there when the need arises. I don't see what the poo pooing of stylus is about. It is an ADDITIONAL FEATURE not a requirement to use the device.

If people have to continually pick on the stylus and screen size, then they just don't get it. I just sense a lot of misinformed bias. Yeh the style of the ad tilts you. Get over it and see the merit of the device.

Last edited:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I have quite small hands and the iPhone is pretty much the perfect size for me. If I was giant the Galaxy Note looks like it'd be a good alternative. I dont see a middle-ground small tablet/big phone doing well.. Better to be good as one thing than to be not great as either.

Lucent336

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Actually...

Look at Apple's 4S commercials. They are almost all revolving completely around Siri, a service that is often down, and can't do half the stuff that the watcher is lead to believe it will do for him. All the while, Siri is still considered beta, another thing that Apple doesn't tell you. Let's be reasonable. It's marketing. Everybody does it.

Apple actually said in the 4S Keynote that Siri was in Beta, and as noted on Apple's Siri page anyone can see that it is in Beta.

Can you name a company that puts their drawbacks or incomplete features in their adverts?

ngochuy107

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Vietnam
Really, SS?

SS is one of the giants in smartphone marketshare out there. But their commercials in a past few months "accidentally" made them look like a jealous woman who's trying to get her boyfriend back from the other chick by saying bad things about that chick. :|

I think SS would do a commercial focus on the features and how it help you in life, that would be effective. Because i don't know much about how the Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note can do during their commercials, just in case i wanna try them out.

For the guy who came up with the idea of this commercial: "I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and ***** a better argument than that."

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I love how people bad mouth things before they even touch one.... How many people bitching about the Note have actually touched one? Probably not many. I think 5.3" for a screen is to big but there are probably many out there that want a device with such a screen. No reason to trash it just to trash it. Remember every one, competition is good for all consumers.

I think iPhone needs a bigger screen now. It won't keep me from buying the next i but I would certainly be a bit disappointed if it's not at least a 4". I have changed my mind on this subject as before I was against a screen size increase but......Now I think it's needed. 4.5" would be a good compromise IMHO but 4" at the minimum.

.....BTW I own both an Iphone and Android Phone and I will admit the Iphone is looking Long in the tooth in regards to specs and features. Maybe IPhone5 will fix that.
Oh, and to add insult to injury Fanboy....Who do you think makes The IPad and IPhone screens? Samsung (Possibly LG for the Iphone5)...You lose TWICE. Stop being a fanboy and be a real consumer. Dont get me wrong I like the IPhone but the technology behind it is starting to lag behind...8MP phone? My android had that before 4S...Apple right now is playing catchup. The only reason they sell so many phones is that their commercials actually work.
LoL, another spec hound. Specs mean squat in the real world. 8mp camera.... yep. How does that camera compare to one with higher MP? It's about the processing not just the MP. I don't feel the 4s needs to catch up to any phone. Different strokes for different folks you know. Don't like the note get another phone. Don't like the iPhone, get another phone. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.