Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)
Now let's see if apple brings out a bigger device how many of you will say its a perfect size after all you've said about the other devices being to big and the iPhone is the perfect size.

Alot of Android devices have some nice screen sizes like 4" and maybe even 4.3" but you've gotta admit 5.3" for a phone is quite a stretch. Apple fan or not we all know Apple would not do something that stupid.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
With one model on average every 12-15 months Apple cannot afford to be too flamboyant with their renditions of the iPhone. Their margin for error is minute.

This is what makes their success all the more remarkable. Tell any other manufacturer out there, you have one shot at it and whatever you produce is it for the next 12 months...

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Uhh, that woman is such a bad actor. I am an Android user, and I am embarrassed by this ad. Can my current phone crop out my head and put it on a basketball player? No. Am I disappointed? No.

mawhitlock

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Great strategy Samsung. Pick the biggest idiot on the street who owns an iPhone and ask them to tasks that no one in the real world does anyway.

The size of that phone is huge. I guess we'll need bigger pockets or a bag to carry it in.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
From a marketing/strategy perspective I think this ad is doing an OK job. It's simply pointing out what the Note and its pen can do (out of the box) that the iPhone can not.
Sure beats the "me too" strategy that most campaigns follow.

It's not long ago that Apple themselves ran the Mac vs. PC campaign. Basically the same approach - Attacking PC on all the stuff a Mac can do better. The execution itself was of course nothing like this Samsung campaign and around a million times better IMHO.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
You are all missing the point!
Commercials are not supposed to be factual.
They are supposed to be emotional.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Challenges:
- Crop one image and drag and drop it on another.
Samsung: Can do it out of the box?
iPhone: Go to the app store.
+1 for the Samsung.

I kinda have to dispute that one as it comes out a wash. Photo in iOS5 has Crop and other baseline touch-up tools and can send the photo on to Mail or be accessed by any App that has access to the camera roll. Considering iOS5 is supported all the way back to the 3GS (something we rarely see from Andriod OEMs) This comes out a wash and at best brings this to a draw.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I personally would never buy the Note (not just because I'm a "fanboy") but I can see where it would be useful for other people. The size is kind of crazy for it to be considered a "phone", I wonder how long you can hold this up to your ear before your arm falls off.

Marketing isn't about playing "fair", its about proving a point no matter how realistic it is or not. I agree with many people when they say that the Note can do things that other Android phones can't do either, not just an iPhone. If they weren't biased they would have a WP7, Android and iPhone all up there for the "street battle", but w/e. I'm content with my iPhone and my iPad, but to each their own.

kingsapo

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
holy crap that woman was annoying! plus anyone can make an ad where one person does stuff on a phone, while the other person just stands there and shouts "I CAN'T DO THAT!!!"

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I think it would be awesome if Apple came out with one of their usual commercials just showing things that iPhone can do...... And showcase everything that it supposedly could not do in this commercial. That would be a great subtle comeback without stooping down to the level of idiocy in these poorly done commercials.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I kinda have to dispute that one as it comes out a wash. Photo in iOS5 has Crop and other baseline touch-up tools and can send the photo on to Mail or be accessed by any App that has access to the camera roll. Considering iOS5 is supported all the way back to the 3GS (something we rarely see from Andriod OEMs) This comes out a wash and at best brings this to a draw.

Cropping photos in the built in photos app forces you to crop it to a rectangle (unless I'm mistaken, you can't even rotate the image by non-90 degree amounts.) The video showed the person arbitrarily (not forcing any angles or lengths) moving 8 control points to crop their head.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I just purchased my first android phone, last week to be exact. I have to admit the note caught my attention the screen size looks great, although huge compared to my iphone 4s, the size is not that bad for daily use.

Yogomi

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
I actually had my hands on the Samsung Note for about three weeks before the Super Bowl.

I think the device is very cool, even though I thought the size would hinder its appeal.

However, that being said, in my opinion, it in no way compared to the iPhone. The issue for me is it still uses Android. I have access to several Notes and Tabs and I cannot get past how clunky Android is.

Another issue I had was with the materials and manufacturing of the device. I found it to "creak" and "crack" when held or squeezed because of the plastic construction and assembly. Maybe this is to keep the weight down. Either way, I would have felt better if it was more solid like their Nexus or some other upcoming phones.

All in all, however, I can see power user/business type really getting use out of the device.

-Y.

Last edited:

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Oh and I'm sure apple will come out with a bigger screen iphone in the future if not the iphone 5 will have it. Every other phones are getting bigger screens and apple will follow.

Yeah, Apple is really well-known for being a follower.

You are all missing the point!
Commercials are not supposed to be factual.
They are supposed to be emotional.

What emotion, other than amusement, is this ad supposed to elicit?

And no, we're not laughing with you, Samsung.

I think it would be awesome if Apple came out with one of their usual commercials just showing things that iPhone can do...... And showcase everything that it supposedly could not do in this commercial. That would be a great subtle comeback without stooping down to the level of idiocy in these poorly done commercials.

That would just raise Samsung to Apple's level. I agree, it would be awesome, but only a tiny proportion of cell phone fanatics would get it, and it would just make it seem like Apple saw Samsung products as a threat. Hint: they're not.

Last edited:

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Have you guys watched the other video? Oh man, its even worse lol
YouTube: video

So both videos show the same stupid features? I thought they would use these videos to show a series of different situations that might set it apart from the iPhone. Instead it's just the same annotating a map, or taking the head off of a picture and putting it on another picture. Power features for sure.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
In general, comparative ads are ineffective, which is why companies with strong brands (e.g. BMW, Apple) usually don't engage in them. It's possible to pull off ("Hello, I'm a Mac" was a notable example - and a notable exception to Apple's usual avoidance of comparative advertising), but it needs to be carefully done. The PC guy came across as sympathetic, actually. Importantly, those ads didn't actually show the two products. Audi also successfully uses this technique in some ads.

I think Samsung's advertising would be more effective if they simply touted the emotional appeal of their products, rather than call attention to their rival.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Is anyone else bothered by the not-so-subtle racist undertones in this ad? I find it pretty offensive really...

Not to mention its sexist undertones.

At least it wasn't anti-barista this time. Not that anyone defended the barista in the last few Samsung ads. Apparently those workers rank somewhere around the same appreciation level as mime artists.

They use "groundbreaking" and "pen" in the same sentence. Nice.

It helps if you understand the technology. It's an active pen, not a dumb stylus. You can name on a few fingers the number of handheld devices with such a groundbreaking feature.

That dude clearly works for Samsung. "I'm just going to screenshot that"... seriously? I don't know one non-geek who regularly uses the screenshot function in any sort of workflow.

That's only because the screenshot function on most devices isn't integrated into the pen workflow.

With devices such as the Note or the Flyer, screenshots are often the starting point for a pen interaction, and therefore are a common action.

(I don't know about the Note, but on the Flyer you need only tap any screen with the pen, to instantly be looking at a screenshot that you can write/draw on top of, then send or store somewhere.)

Yogomi

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
Default apps on the Galaxy, or downloaded??

BTW, that thing is HUGE. Almost too big.

I can honestly say that's what I thought at first. But after handling it for a few weeks, I got used to the size quickly.

Remember, it's a hybrid phone/tablet device. So it does need to be a little large. Once you start using the s-pen it makes more sense; well, to me it made more sense.

I wouldn't mind having one to keep. (Working on that)

-Y.

Last edited:

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
It helps if you understand the technology. It's an active pen, not a dumb stylus. You can name on a few fingers the number of handheld devices with such a groundbreaking feature.

Point taken - but I have yet to see them or hear them demonstrate to me what's special about it. I just see people using a stylus on a handheld device. I guess that's more a failure of the advertising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.