Samsung Supplying Apple with Panels for iPad Air 2 and 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Later This Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung will supply Apple with displays for the second-generation iPad Air and the 12.9-inch 'iPad Pro' starting later this year, reports Korean-news outlet inews24 (via Digitimes). The Korean company will begin manufacturing the displays in the coming months, as the panels are said to feature IPS technology similar to Apple's current line of iPads.

Physical mockup of the second-generation iPad Air​

If the report is legitimate, it is likely that Apple will have a steady supply of panels for its first batch of iPad Air 2 units, which may launch in time for the upcoming holiday shopping season. Some reports have also claimed that the 12.9-inch iPad Pro could be released in early 2015, which may lead to Samsung becoming the top supplier of displays for the new tablet if other suppliers are unable to meet Apple's demands.

Rendering of a 12.9-inch iPad next to a 13-inch MacBook Air​

Apple has been attempting to reduce its reliance on Samsung as a component supplier due to tensions between the two companies as they have become top competitors in the mobile device market. However, Samsung's technological advantages and production capacity as a display supplier have proven valuable to Apple over the years, as the Korean company even became Apple's top iPad display supplier in Q1 2014.

The iPad Air 2 is rumored to feature a slightly thinner body, a faster A8 processor, 2GB of RAM, support for Apple Pay, and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Meanwhile, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is said to include a more powerful A8X processor to power its larger, high-resolution display.

Article Link: Samsung Supplying Apple with Panels for iPad Air 2 and 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Later This Year

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Wonder if the iPad pro will include a first party  stylus. Still hoping for one to use at campus. Tried many third party solutions non are as good as...dare I say it, the S-Pen or even the pen included with the new surface pro

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
iPad for Apple Pay? Lol.

Imagine holding a 12.9" in store.

Apple should announce iPad at the same time as iPhone, main difference is screen size / cellular chip, and not much differentiation between the 2.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
iPad Pro. I don't get it... What's the advantage of having more screen real estate on an iPad? A laptop running a full OS sure, but a tablet crippled with a feature-missing mobile OS? :confused:

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
For the 12.9 to make any sense... it needs to run O SX (because iOS is a joke on a device like iPad).

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Although they get a lot out of it there must be some part of Samsung that hates supplying a product better than theirs :D

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
It will be a shame if this is just a biggerer iPad. They need to make some optimizations for the huge screen.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Here's hoping for a faster screen refresh rate as scrolling through text is painful - then that's it for me until at least a 2nd or 3rd gen "Retina HD" model.

"First gen" products with a higher resolution tend to struggle somewhat with the extra graphical demands, I prefer the device to be able to comfortably handle the new resolutions instead of just about supporting them.

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
pro

It will be interesting to see what the iPad Pro uses for software. Believe it or not, Microsoft has the "Pro" idea done right. It's a full featured Laptop OS without a keyboard. For the iPad to truly compete I'm thinking we need Yosemite optimized for stylus input.

Simply a larger iPad Air should not carry the name "Pro". Perhaps apple will not try to compete in this space and will simply give us an iPad Plus.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Wonder if the iPad pro will include a first party  stylus. Still hoping for one to use at campus. Tried many third party solutions non are as good as...dare I say it, the S-Pen or even the pen included with the new surface pro
Ugh. Maybe as an option but I would HATE if they made it built in. Looks so tacky on the note.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
It will be interesting to see what the iPad Pro uses for software. Believe it or not, Microsoft has the "Pro" idea done right. It's a full featured Laptop OS without a keyboard. For the iPad to truly compete I'm thinking we need Yosemite optimized for stylus input.

Simply a larger iPad Air should not carry the name "Pro". Perhaps apple will not try to compete in this space and will simply give us an iPad Plus.
I would hate if Apple got into the surface device market. It's a cool device but ultimately a mediocre tablets and mediocre laptop. Too big and thick for a tablet and just not as ergonomic as an ultrabook. Having that thing on your lap is not practical.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Apple needs to reassure their customers their screen won't show any ghosting, blue tint or stuff like that, hence these rumours.
Plenty of iPad Air sammy screens had the left hand yellowing. I also doubt that this rumour is read or influences any more than 0.001% of iPad purchasers.

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
For the 12.9 to make any sense... it needs to run O SX (because iOS is a joke on a device like iPad).
Some of us don't need it to run OSX. It would be nice but it wouldn't a "must". I am professional musician. It would be great to have a screen the size of A4 paper. The iPad screen size is almost too small. That's the main purpose of my iPad. If I couldn't read music with it, I would have never bought an iPad.
If it has OSX, it would be even better. If not, I imagine many people will find it useful for so many other things anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.