Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
And what's you're point? iPhone 13 isn't a gimmick like the Samsung Crease. Besides the iPhone 13 maxed out is $1599.00 and the Samsung Crease is $2000.
I hear "Samsung Crease" is quite popular these days. The sales are great. Some Apple fans will always be disparaging Samsung innovations (that is until Apple copies them). Just like they were claiming that 120Hz display was a gimmick (and a battery hog) when Samsung released it 18 months ago. That is obviously a coping mechanism (to suppress jealousy).

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I hear "Samsung Crease" is quite popular these days. The sales are great. Some Apple fans will always be disparaging Samsung innovations (that is until Apple copies them). Just like they were claiming that 120Hz display was a gimmick (and a battery hog) when Samsung released it 18 months ago. That is obviously a coping mechanism (to suppress jealousy).
Not copy, fixes the flaws and makes them better. ?

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Frankly, I have my doubts over the accuracy of sales numbers reported by Samsung (not that they outright lie, but more that Samsung lacks the insight into their own sales channels the way Apple does). I won’t be surprised if that 1 million number is a gross overestimate, or simply units shipped (but not necessarily sold yet), or a combination of the two.

Needless to say, I (still) don’t see foldable phones catching on anytime soon.
Apple does not report anything but units shipped. Correction - they used to report unit shipments but they stopped doing that a few years back. Now you do not get any information from Apple about unit shipments. So, we get unit shipments data from the same sources for both companies.

Reactions: Diesel79

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Not copy, fixes the flaws and makes them better. ?
That's just another coping mechanism. Have you seen any reports that Apple implementation is any better? The mere fact that Apple uses Samsung panels indicates that they will be very similar at the very least. Remember how many years it took for Apple to "fix the flaws" in the Samsung AMOLED panels?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple does not report anything but units shipped. Correction - they used to report unit shipments but they stopped doing that a few years back. Now you do not get any information from Apple about unit shipments. So, we get unit shipments data from the same sources for both companies.

For Apple, their units shipped = actual units sold and in the hands of paying customers. While Apple doesn’t report numbers any more, we can tell from their quarterly sales figures that their products do sell. And a lot of it in fact.

For a lot of the competition, units shipped could simply be units collecting dust on a shelf or in a warehouse somewhere.

Same metric, differing means used to derive those numbers, and so I don’t feel that they are not directly interchangeable.

Either way, Samsung can boast how their phones have had this feature for this or that for however long before the iPhone. I literally don’t care, because that’s not what I look for in a phone. I have no idea who Samsung is trying to appeal to with this tweet of theirs. Their existing fanbase? Potential switchers?

Not that it matters at the end of the day.

Reactions: Maconplasma

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
As usual Apple prefers to be best rather than first. I bet the battery optimization and the way it works will be better than the Samsung version.

Somewhat true. The Galaxy S20 Ultra from last year supported 120 Hz, but it couldn’t run at 120 Hz when the screen was at native resolution. It had to reduce the resolution to run at 120 Hz. The S21 Ultra released earlier this year can do 120 Hz at full resolution, but they did it in the same year as Apple… kind of a tie.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
For Apple, their units shipped = actual units sold and in the hands of paying customers. While Apple doesn’t report numbers any more, we can tell from their quarterly sales figures that their products do sell. And a lot of it in fact.

For a lot of the competition, units shipped could simply be units collecting dust on a shelf or in a warehouse somewhere.

Same metric, differing means used to derive those numbers, and so I don’t feel that they are not directly interchangeable.

Either way, Samsung can boast how their phones have had this feature for this or that for however long before the iPhone. I literally don’t care, because that’s not what I look for in a phone. I have no idea who Samsung is trying to appeal to with this tweet of theirs. Their existing fanbase? Potential switchers?

Not that it matters at the end of the day.
Wrong. Apple ships to Target, Best Buy, Verizon etc. just like Samsung. They have no data regarding actual sales. This has been explained many times in the past. They never reported actual sales.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
I could be wrong, but don't think we're looking at the same tech. Samsung may have first shipped phone screens that refresh @ 120Hz, but what Apple has done is create a system where the screen can refresh at a variable rate, which is also content & input optimized/syncronized, all while providing industry leading brightness and color accuracy. I don't think Samsung is anywhere close to the same class.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Go watch mrwhosetheboss's battery test comparison
I’ve seen his videos before and just watched this one

What was it that you were trying to show me? That Samsung s21 ultra has a 5000mah battery and has 9% left against the iPhone 12 Pro Max which has 0% left with a 3687mah battery?

You know that means the iPhone has better battery life right?

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
I’ve just watched the Mrwhostheboss iPhone 13 pro max vs Samsung Galaxy S21 ultra camera comparison. It was an embarrassment for apple in that short video. Considering that the S21 Ultra is the older device, it seemed to out perform the iPhone 12 Pro Max camera’s.

As someone who pre-ordered the iPhone 13 pro max, which is being delivered tomorrow. I’m honestly thinking about cancelling it tonight. And, then either switching to the S21 Ultra, or waiting for the Google Pixel 6 pro.

that video really got me thinking - On the phone side of things, what has Apple actually done to give their customers the best they can give them? Not much in my opinion. They increased the size of the pro models last year and added flat sides causing the pro max to feel a bit more awkward. They cut battery capacity last year, withheld 120hz displays last year, only offered Sub-6 5G here in the UK. And, did just enough to say they’d made improvements.

The S21 Ultra still seems like the better purchase. And, the S22 ultra is right around the corner, as is the Google Pixel 6 pro.

Lens flair still seems like a problem on the iPhone 13 pro max when recording video.

I switched from a Samsung flagship to iPhone 2 years ago. It’s been mostly a good experience. However, iOS definitely has some bugs that apple don’t seem to care about. Take the apple email app for example, I’ve had problem after problem with it ever since switching to iPhone, the notes app never remembers what viewing mode I choose, I.e gallery view etc. apps just randomly crash, I can’t completely enable and disable stuff like Bluetooth, location, Wi-Fi etc from quick settings like I could on Android.

There is genuinely a lot I like about iOS and iPhones, but I’m not going to pretend that they are light years ahead of Samsung. They both have their Pro’s and cons.

I honestly can’t decide on whether to cancel my iPhone 13 pro max or not. If I’d have purchased a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra last year instead of my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I wouldn’t have to upgrade again this year just to get a 120hz LTPO display and solid battery life. Along with both Sub-6 and MmW 5G. Because I’d already have said features on the S21 Ultra.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
And it took ages because you Samsung couldn’t make enough panels lol
This is a good point. Where Android as a whole sells more than iOS worldwide, no one has to physically make, ship, and sell as many devices as Apple. Can the tech be made affordably in the scale of 1 or 2 million devices a year? Put it in. Anything part into an iPhone has to be able to be produced, delivered to Foxconn, built, tested, and shipped at least 150 million times a year. That right there limits the tech that Apple can put in the iPhone.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
The market doesn’t take off until apple joins the party.
I found it hilarious the cellular companies touting “5G IS REAL NOW!” when the 5G capable iPhones were released even though they’d ALL been selling 5G capable phones for awhile. Other vendors may not want to hear it, but, yeah, in a lot of cases, it’s not real until it’s going out on 150+ millions of iPhones a year.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Variable refresh rate in smartphones is still a rarity indeed. But other manufacturers do have it too. Here is the list of phones that have it.
It’s just Samsung. The only ones with LTPO is Samsung (which I did mentioned) and OnePlus (which also uses Samsung panel). Xiaomi uses IPS with fixed/preset rates, not variable. It’s literally stated on the site. True variable means you can dial the refresh rate into odd numbers such as 10Hz (Pro Motion). Xiaomi only uses preset fixed rates (30Hz, 60, 120, etc).

In short, Apple was simply waiting for Samsung to have LTPO OLED panel in volume. Samsung perfected it on the S21 Ultra released early this year, then Apple uses it now with iPhone 13 Pro. That’s hardly “late.” Apple is literally one of the first companies with it outside Samsung themselves.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I’ve seen his videos before and just watched this one

What was it that you were trying to show me? That Samsung s21 ultra has a 5000mah battery and has 9% left against the iPhone 12 Pro Max which has 0% left with a 3687mah battery?

You know that means the iPhone has better battery life right?
It’s well known that iOS overall is more efficient than Android in terms of power management. Problem is, Apple is very strict in how big of battery they put in iPhones. For customers, in the end, the iPhone shuts down before the Samsung. Imagine how the iPhone would be if Apple put 5000mAh battery in it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Am I the only one who doesn't care about refresh rate on a phone?
I don’t care about high refresh rates, but I do believe variable refresh rate can be a good thing for power saving. So instead of having constant 60Hz, having a variable one that can dial down the refresh rate for static contents or videos can be good for the battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.