Samsung to Announce New Flagship Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus Smartphones in February

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung is planning to unveil its next-generation Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus smartphones in February of 2018, just a few months after the launch of the iPhone X, reports Bloomberg.

The two devices could be introduced as early as late February with a launch following in early March. Last year, the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8 Plus were unveiled in late March and released in April.

[​IMG]
    Samsung's Galaxy S8​

The Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus are said to be similar to the current Galaxy models that are available, but with upgraded camera systems.

The two smartphones will likely also include upgraded processors and will continue to offer features like fingerprint recognition, facial recognition, and iris scanning. A feature equivalent to Face ID is not likely to be available, however, as Android manufacturers are further behind on development of 3D facial recognition techniques.

Samsung's upcoming smartphones will directly compete with Apple's latest flagship iPhone, the iPhone X.

Article Link: Samsung to Announce New Flagship Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus Smartphones in February

2. Asarien macrumors 6502

No notch and no protruding rear camera. Already, they're ahead in design.

3. GabrielMoro macrumors member

GabrielMoro

I do believe they have some great stuff planned. Their ideas may not be the best when applied to their products, but it sure helps to have competition.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm perfectly willing to accept the notch and protruding camera in place of two years of updates with bloated software on Android. I'm sure the S9 will be a solid device, but Eventually aesthetics wears off, it comes down to the Software experience in the end.

5. iHeadPhoneJack macrumors newbie

iHeadPhoneJack

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You wouldn't know that as of yet, because the S9 hasn't been released.

7. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

Yawn.

Wake me when Samsung makes something that isn't a steaming pile of dung supported by a marketing blitz that attacks Apple instead of promoting their own products.

8. cardfan macrumors 65816

The new samsung bloatware special...with more bloatware. Coming soon..lol Oh well, I supposed the unwashed will love it.

9. macTW Suspended

Where are the angry consumers with Samsung recycling a design for nearly a decade...?

10. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Of course, only Apple can make a great smart phone. All those millions of people buying Samsung smart phones are just fooled into it by Samsung's superior marketing... um wait, no it can't be that... by the remarkable connection between Samsung mobile devices and their computer line... um no wait, not that either...

hmmmm, well, I just don't know. Apparently all those millions who seem pretty happy with their phones are just wrong and should know better by now. Too bad Samsung's inferior marketing of their "steaming piles of dung" that all will explode at any given moment somehow fool naive consumers into buying them and- dare I say it- liking their purchases anyway. :eek:

And apparently, when they all explode and kill their millions of owners, not only does the national news ignore all those deaths but more millions just step up behind them to buy new Samsung smart phones the very next year.

Amazing! Maybe even 'magical'?

11. iHeadPhoneJack macrumors newbie

iHeadPhoneJack

There are rumours from reliable sources that the headphone jack is still staying.

12. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

not even close.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2017 ---
    You tried to be sarcastic, but you're actually right on most points.

13. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

And 1989 has a major sigh of relief over it.

14. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

People keep citing the software as Apple's advantage, but each year iOS gets buggier and the differences in features between all platforms (mobile and computers) grows smaller.

15. Relentless Power, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You mean like Macrumors?

16. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

Curious about the benchmarks. They push everyone forward at the end of the day

17. twennywonn macrumors regular

18. xbankaiz macrumors member

xbankaiz

I'm more interested in what the Note9 would be. I have the iPhone X and my bf has the Note8. And goddamn I'm jealous of the things his phone sometimes.
    People complaining about the bloatware that Samsung puts on their phones may be correct to a certain extent, but like someone said above, iOS has been a big PITA with iOS 11 lately. Samsung's phones (at least the Note series) is way superior to the functionality than the iPhone, at least right now. Oh how I wished for Pencil support on the X but was disappointed.
    And yes, right now, Samsung's designs are much better than what Apple has been putting out currently. The last iPhone I truly found beautiful was the 5/5S series. But hey, that's just my opinion. Just like the same way how some of you saying Samsung's phones are horrible.

19. tooltalk macrumors 6502

consider changing your carrier. I'm so glad that I'm no longer with AT&T.

20. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I'll probably pick one of these up when they introduce the S10.

21. tooltalk macrumors 6502

I must have been living under a rock -- their edge design has been around for a decade already?

22. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

It’s exactly the same! Where’s the INNOVATION???

Samsung died when their old CEO Steve Chobs died.

23. macTW Suspended

Glaring contrast and artificial colors. Unreliable fingerprint and iris scanner. Defective low battery life.

They must be ahead.

24. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

So an announcement of an announcement. Where was my announcement of this announcement 2 months ago! I got blindsided!