Samsung to Announce New Flagship Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus Smartphones in February

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2017.

1. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

If you can't find other ways than screen technology to differentiate a Note 8 from an iPhone you aren't looking very hard. Almost everything about them is different, other than the app store apps that are largely identical.

2. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

meh...does anyone really care what Hamstrung does anymore?

3. Sevanw macrumors 6502a

Sevanw

For who? 5yr Olds? Wow, just wow.
    The commercials for animojis are beyond embarrassing. And the demo where Ive is unnaturally tilting and twisting his head as he speaks is ridiculous and also very cringe inducing demo.

Next gen. Lol. 10 yr old tech that a company buys and puts in their device and makes the logging in of your device a bigger headache, is nothing to brag about. Smh

4. I7guy, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

I7guy macrumors G5

Subjectively speaking of course. But they are not as cringeworthy as those idiotic Samsung commercials.(subjectively speaking)

That will take android 2.5 years to catch up to, lol.

5. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

Seriously? That's your argument against adapters? It's just one adapter to look out for. Keep it in your pocket. Leave it attached to your phone. Leave it in a designated spot. My receiver needs an adapter when using headphones with it, yet I've never lost the adapter.

6. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors regular

I wouldn't want to carry adapters, like lots of people. My amp has an adapter headphone socket PERMANENTLY inserted. My CD player has an adapters permanently inserted. How could they get lost? Any of my 3.5mm headphones can fit any of my audio equipment including my phone WITHOUT adapters. Leaving an adapter cable permanently attached to a phone when it has a data connector, a bulge for the electronics and a headphone socket is a stupid suggestion. Leaving adapters in a "designated spot". Are you Martin Bryce?

7. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 6502a

H3LL5P4WN

...no? There hasn't been a single instance where any of my green bubble friends have done something that my at-the-time iPhone couldn't do better. Including this year.

Nope, still bloated, boring, and throwing poo to see what sticks. But hey, they don't explode anymore so that's a start!

Comparison. You use that word but I do not think it means what you think it means.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2017 ---
    I leave my 3.5-Lightning attached to my aux cable, because that's the only place I use it, until I replace my head unit with a Car Play head unit.

8. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

No, just organized some what =). Designated spot as in a bowl on the a hallway table or on your dresser.

9. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors regular

So YOU are a Martin Bryce. Who wants to be "organised"?
    I bet you are the type of person who would have carried about a Filofax ;-)

10. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502

sidewinder3000

I suppose you’re entitled to your toxic levels of cynicism. Me and tens of millions of others will enjoy this new tech and look forward to other innovations that spring from it.

And it is next gen tech. All current tech is based on tech developed in the past, because that’s how planet earth works. It doesn’t mean it’s not innovative and original. The stuff we have now was developed then. The stuff they are developing now will be out in 3-10 years. If FaceID was as “ho hum” a technology as your pretend, then other phone companies would have done it years ago. But alas, they did not.

The fact is, FaceID is brilliant, and it’s the future. The luddites and grumps that cling to the past only focus on the few use cases where FaceID isn’t as convenient as TouchID, instead of focusing on the dozens of ways that it’s vastly superior in terms of speed, workflow and security. I love it on my iPhone X and can’t wait for it to come to the iPad Pro ASAP.

I’m curious, do you actually own an iPhone X, or are you just TOOYA?

11. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Glad you are so happy with FaceID. It is great tech, no doubt. But its not a binary thing. Most of the complaints about it I've seen, and my own perspective, is that I don't want to only have face rec for authentication. I quite enjoy having multi-mode authentication on the Note 8. Tech is also fairly easily replicated by others, so I expect this single great new thing about the iPhone X will quickly be replicated by others in some similar, but not exactly the same, fashion.

My view is that Samsung and others have progressed technology over the last several years, and Apple caught up with some aspects in the X, and threw in a new thing with FaceID. Based on past, Apple will stick with this model now for many versions and years. Starting with the S9, Samsung and others aren't going to sit still and will be continuing to advance things.

Bottom line, competition and choice is good.

12. jm001 macrumors 6502a

jm001

Who me? A Filofax? I have no idea what you're talking about :rolleyes:.
    I do carry a Bellroy... I'm not George Constanza.

13. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502

sidewinder3000

I agree. Competition is good. Apple needs peers to push them just like every company does.

But it’s disingenuous to pretend that Apple alone is “catching up” technologically with the iPhone X. The truth is that in plenty of important ways iPhones are technologically superior to Samsung phones, and every year they are playing catch up as well.

If you had FaceID and used it every day, you’d know why it’s a waste to have multiple security options like on the Galaxy. Especially when one of them isn’t really secure at all and can’t be used for making purchases, etc. (e.g. Samsung’s flimsy 2D facial recognition).

14. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I don't think I'm being disingenuous at all. Lets see,

Wireless charging - catching up
    OLED - catching up
    Minimal bezel design - catching up
    Faster CPU - yet "real life" benchmarks seem to show its a wash except in a few use cases.
    FaceID - The one really new new tech in the X which is very good in some use cases, not so good in others (glancing under a table in a meeting or movie to check a message; in the car; retrieving from pocket, etc.). I personally would not want to have only FaceID. My opinion. On average, I'd be shocked if you spend less time that me unlocking our respective phones. My Gear S3 unlocks my Note 8 most of the time without me doing anything, and on the rare case it doesn't then the combo of Iris and FPS are pretty quick. I don't use face on the Note 8... I use Iris and FPS and they both are plenty secure.
    Notch - I hope no other company tries to copy this.

I prefer my technical superiority to be things I can practically use. FaceID that provides minimal benefit while resulting in a big chunk of awkwardly missing screen. No thanks. A much faster CPU that results in real life results that are roughly the same, except for video editing/rendering... I don't do video work on my phone, so could care less. Tech that I use on the Note 8 - the SPen, Samsung Pay with MST, larger display... I'll take that instead. Along with running multiple apps in split screen, the ability to customize things the way I like them, freedom...

The bottom line is that Apple will stick with what you have in the X for 4 years. How many other innovative things will be added by others during that time. The one new thing... FaceID... will likely be replicated pretty quickly by other vendors. Whether it is or not, I'm not making a buying decision on a phone just based on how it is unlocked. Apple lately seems to pile all their eggs in one feature... like the Touchbar on the Macbook Pro, FaceID on the X.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out through the next couple of product cycles. I don't expect any huge design departures from Samsung this round; and this year Apple will probably make everything look like the X and go all in with it.

15. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502

sidewinder3000

Sorry, but you sound like a defensive Samsung fanboy. Incapable of seeing the objective fact that Apple has dozens of hardware & software innovations/advantages over Samsung, just as Samsung has its advantages over Apple. Companies innovate in some ways, and copy their competition in others. It’s how business works. You seem to have way too much personal attachment in the delusion that Samsung is somehow superior in all ways, so having a reasonable and informed discussion with you seems impossible. By.

16. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

The S9 will be a very minimal upgrade compared to the jump from S7 to S8. I am not expecting much from Samsung since their software is probably going to be like the past: not enough timely updates, offer some interesting/unnecessary quirks, and be too resource intensive.

Samsung's kitchen sink approach doesn't work for me since it puts a strain on resources. The Pixel's lean software experience is probably the only Android experience I would consider since it is much more efficient. It might be more barren, but at least it gets the core phone functions down properly.

With my iPhone, I can reply to messages from the lock-screen, get prompted to sign into a secured wifi portal right away, and not get "tap to download" MMS.

Samsung forced me to unlock my device to reply to messages. I don't like to get another step to "tap here to log in." Nor do I like the tap to download garbage.