Samsung to Announce New Flagship Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus Smartphones in February

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2017.

1. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

I like the notch. It's charming.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2017 ---
    Don't forget to mention that humans can hear all sounds, and that Bluetooth distorts sounds outside of the threshold of the human ear. Oh. Wait.

2. Klyster macrumors 65816

Klyster

https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/how-to/top-4-phones-for-music-lovers-audiophiles-0175956/

"The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus might boast superior audio when compared to Apple's previous offerings, but that only applies to the built-in speaker quality. And besides, iPhone 7 models were immediately ruled out because they don't have a headphone jack, which means that music can only be listened to over Bluetooth or via the Lightning port. Both of these conduits are severely lacking when compared to audio from a 3.5 mm jack."

3. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

People who want the best audio quality use a separate portable headphone amp that connects to the lightning connector, people who want the second best audio use the lightning connector.

The headphone jack has inferior audio to the lightning connector and if you need more than one adapter then they are only a few quid, so people can’t use these excuses.

4. Klyster, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017

Klyster macrumors 65816

Klyster

I would have thought they'd use a device with a superior DAC rather than an inferior one...

Do recording artists use lightning connectors?
    Do desks have lightning connectors?

5. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

If your going from the lightning connector your not using a DAC in the phone.

6. Klyster macrumors 65816

Klyster

So you're saying the DAC in the lightning connector is superior to the phones DAC?

The V30 has a headphone jack and quad DAC and is considering the best phone for audio, so how does that work?

7. Fox Fisher macrumors newbie

No matter how beautiful and fast the S9 is, it still runs on android...

8. djgamble macrumors 6502a

Has anybody else lost all interest in ‘flagship’ phones? Seriously, there has been no innovation other than ‘bigger screen’ (subtly allowing more space for a bigger battery because the battery life is rotten to the core), faster CPUs and gimmicks?

I’m seriously fed up with phones in general. When will this nightmare end?!?

9. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

There is no audio through the lightning connector. Are you implying that the DAC and amp built into the Apple lightning adapter provides a better audio performance compared to the Sony Xperia and other top Android phones' built in DAC and amps?

10. FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

Yes a million last month,but most of that was from the pre order.

The only data point available from Samsung are first month sale, then they’d top releasing any figures.

11. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

20 million Galaxy S8 units In 3mths
    http://bgr.com/2017/08/03/samsung-galaxy-s8-sales-july-2017-20-million/amp/

IPhone X
    Apple Shoppers Prefer Cheaper Models Over iPhone X, Analyst Says https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...fer-cheaper-models-over-iphone-x-analyst-says

Note 8 : initial assessment Sept 12th 2017
    While agreed the Note 8 sales are not through the roof, it’s begun better in ore-orders than the Note 7. Nothing official for the year thus far but we’ll get the final tally for all phones in the next few weeks of course.

First month the S8 pailed in comparison to the S6/7 but thereafter beat both in a total of 3mths. You chose to focus on initial one month sales to compare worth he iPhone X. I was stating overall sales in comparison due to pricing in February 2018 that will hurt iPhone X sales. Sure the X has not been on sale for 3mths yet Therein is part of my presumption a new SGS release early next year, if pricing is cheaper it’ll affect X sales potentially forcing Apple to do a price adjustment. We’ll see if that ever happens.

12. FFR macrumors 68030

FFR

From your article, if you bothered to actually read read your own link:
    “[THE INVESTOR] The shipments of Samsung Electronics’ Galaxy S8 have surpassed the 20 million mark in July, according to market research firm Strategy Analytics on Aug. 3.”

It’s a research note from a market research firm.
    The 5 million figure I posted was for Samsung official:
    “Although we cannot provide detailed figures, the sales are going smoothly around the globe,” the unnamed Samsung official told The Investor. “The combined sales already are beyond 5 million units.”

The only reason I’m using first months sale is because it was provided by a Samsung official not a market reasearh firm and Samsung has always provided a first month sale to compare with past launches.

As for the note 8
    Pre orders in Korea were for 850,000 units, they crossed the 1 million unit mark a month later.
    1 month to sell 150,000 units. That’s horrible.
    Compare that with the note 7 that sold about 3 million units in 2-3 weeks before being recalled for exploding.

iPhone X sold 6 million units in 2 days over Black Friday, without any promotions and it wasn’t a launch weekend
    Your article seems factually incorrect.

13. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Hardware is not very important anymore, although I still believe Apple has some key advantages (their own chips/performance/FaceID). Samsung makes some nice hardware, but it will always be limited when it comes to software. iOS will always be better when it comes to performance, security, privacy, ecosystem, apps, and support. As the smartphone market continues to mature, there will be less and less differentiation, but those key aspects will remain. Either way, it's great we have choices, it just seems like a race to the bottom on the Android end. Google looks to understand this though and may make big changes here soon.

14. MsRandall macrumors 65816

MsRandall

Also worth noting to this holiday selling comparison for the Note 8, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus- All have all been deeply discounted with $300 off gift cards in BB, Target, etc. Actually the Note 8 has been on $300 gift card promo at Costco and BB since it has been released.

ATT and Verizon are running specials of buy one get one free for s8, note8. IPhone 8 and 8plus all except the X. T-Mobile Bogo for the Samsung devices

Meanwhile the iPhone X is selling at full price except for the occasional trade in a device deal $200 or $300 off

15. sidewinder3000, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017

sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Conflating innocent, imaginative fun that allows people to express their creativity and interact with others in new ways, and a crass, exploitative reality show focused on vanity and media fame demonstrates the kind of cynicism that’s clearly incapable of recognizing next gen technology when it arises.

Bloody hell, indeed, my friend. Bloody hell, indeed.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 18, 2017 ---
    What are you so worked up about? Dude.
    I wasn’t suggesting people use Flickr in order to validate their use of phone features. Flickr use is a bi-product of the researches fact that iPhone owners use their phones features more than Galaxy users.

That doesn’t mean you don’t use your phone’s features. You’re probably a tech savvy person and the Galaxy’s increased options and complexity probably are a low hurdle for you.

16. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Just because fewer Android users use Flickr does not equate to Android users not using their phone features to the same level as iPhone users. That is a ridiculous connection to make and would be very poor research.

17. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

Will be interesting to see how it stacks up agains the A11 chip
    The camera is often flat against a case (mine is anyway). I think I prefer the notch against the chin and forehead of the samsung. But if Samsung releases a model with none of those I'll call them steps ahead.

18. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

“There is way more iPhones than galaxy's lol.“ After checking some stats around the web, that might be true. The data is janky because Samsung sells more smartphones but doesn’t seem to break down their phone sales by model number, so it’s possible that there are more iPhones on earth than Galaxys.

19. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

As I mentioned in my previous post, if you are going through the lightning connector it’s digital, you do know what DAC stands for right? So that digital signal can be passed to an external DAC, any one you like, even ones that cost more than the phone itself. The DAC inside the adapter might not be the greatest but it’s still enough to not effect CD quality files. If that does bother you and you are playing higher than CD quality audio which most people are not you are more likely to be using a higher end set of headphones or earphones with its own DAC built in or a external headphone amp again with its own DAC, so what phone you use doesnt matter and neither does the headphone jack.

20. sidewinder3000, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017

sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

“You do know the LG had dual cameras before apple? And this so called portrait mode was on galaxy devices before..it was called selective focus.

I am not an apple or Google hater as I enjoy both platforms.”

Not entirely sure of your point. There are a lot of features available on Android phones, and depending on what time of the year they come out, it is sometimes ahead of the iPhone.

We were talking about iPhones vs Galaxys, not “all of Android”. A mistake people often make is comparing the myriad of different features available on a dozen different top Android phones with the discrete set of features available on a single iPhone model. It’s a logical fallacy and not helpful or meaningful when comparing individual models.

If you compare the features available on an iPhone to all the features available on all Android devices, the iPhone can’t compete. When you compare the features available on an iPhone to the features of any single Android device, the iPhone looks fantastic.
    You may have missed it, but in another reply someone else pointed out that there are actually more iPhones in circulation that Galaxys. So whatever rickety foundation I was basing my flimsy thesis on is now gone. Consider it retracted ;)

21. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

The problem for Samsung is that their phones have always been primarily oriented around the screen technology and size and not much else. They're struggling to come up with anything to differentiate their product now.

22. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Are you seriously suggesting that the lightning adapter does affect the quality of the audio at all. I like the quality of flac files played on a Sony Xperia with Senheisser Momentum headphones, but it is clearly not as good as the same files when using my Fiio player or my Epiphany Acoustics DAC/amp. Of course, if I were using Beats Headphones the difference would not be apparent.

23. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502

eltoslightfoot

This. I might actually consider their products when they start acting like they are worth it—instead that insecure friend that is always jealous.

24. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Your comments back & forth with Relentless Power was exhausting to read and borderline trollish. I’m reluctant to even respond to you but I will this once to spell it out for you, since you seemed to miss the point.

Everything I wrote in my post was 100% factually and logically true. All phone makers come out with cool new features. Sometimes it’s Samsung, sometimes it’s LG, often it’s Apple. And all phone makers eventually adopt some of the features that were first introduced by other manufacturers. That’s how the world works.

To pretend that somehow Apple is playing “catch-up” regarding features first introduced on other phones, and that other phonemakers are not playing catch-up in regards to features that Apple has innovated first, is absolutely delusional. Everyone copies everyone.

Also, nobody really cares one iota about your opinions on the worthiness of innovations like TrueTone, FaceID, 3D Touch other than you. You are certainly entitled to those opinions, but don’t try to use them as some kind of half-cocked reasoning to make the case that Apple isn’t innovating. Personally, I love True Tone and wish I had it on all my devices, I find FaceID to be a vast improvement over TouchID in 90% of use cases, I use 3D Touch 20 times a day and am annoyed when using my iPad and it doesn’t have it, and I frequently enjoy the stereo speakers when watching a YouTube video or sharing media with someone else. But again, that’s just my experience. The fact that it is also the experience of 10’s of millions of other people who love and use those features everyday is what will compel other manufacturers to copy most, or all, of those iPhone features in the next 5 years.

So really, bro, no sure what your beef is. Is Apple late to the “so called” wireless charging game? Yes. They’ve been making aluminum backed phones for years and clearly haven’t prioritized it. It’s never bothered me. I have an iPhone X and will typically use almost any excuse to buy cool new tech. But even so, I still have not been able to come up with a reason why I’d wanna clutter up my desk and my home with a bunch of single use devices that take up 50 times more space than a lightning cord and can’t charge my phone while I’m using it.

I can’t figure out why you seem to have gotten so lathered up about “wireless” charging, or why you refuse accept that all manufacturers innovate some features themselves, and copy some from others. Maybe you’re a lobbyist for the inductive charging consortium? Or maybe you prioritize watching your phone charge on a $30 stand over using it while it charges, better sound, superior readability and color accuracy, improved ergonomics, and superior security. Your choice.

25. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Samsung flagship each year doesn't come close to iPhone sales. Now if you include Samsung cheaper models which some are also named Galaxies...they may be on par or even more than iPhone sales.

Look at it this way, if Samsung was selling close to the amount of iPhones with their flagship phones, they would be making a similar revenue from their mobile department since their flagships are similarly priced to iPhones.