Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What should we put on the teaser banner?
A button.
Really? Not one of the new features or exiting innovations?
No no. People really want to see what the button looks like up close with a macro camera.

It's like a parody of a parody ... so maybe it comes full circle and is totally serious.

... or not. :D

Reactions: DeepIn2U

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
- Korea helped Sweden and Mexico
- Sweden sank Korea
- Korea sank Germany

Last edited:
Reactions: imgroot

Seraph301083

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
promo picture interpretation:
they got rid of all the buttons except this one
must be a fairly important one
probably the bixby button ;)

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I got a note 8, great phone but I hate those stupid curved screens. You can never put on a proper glass screen protector with a curved screen. Avoid at all costs.

Yep, I love when the haters complain about Apple's notch but use Samsung phones with screens that aren't even a flat plane. I understand why the notch exists, but I don't understand why Samsung curved the edges of their screen.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Samsung moved to releasing theirs before which hasn't worked so well. They get a day of press before Apple owns every headline out there the following weeks until after the iPhone release. They get completely lost in the news cycle.

It'd be much smarter to move theirs until 6 months opposite Apple, in order to get the most visibility possible.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Isn't this a normal release time for Samsung?

So, business as usual makes the front page news?

Not everyone (such as myself) follows Samsung closely. The biggest announcement from Apple's biggest competitor is front page news.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Since many people here are saying Samsung is trying to upstage Apple before they launch their next-gen iPhones... my question is:

What processor will the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 launch with?

Will a new Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 be ready for an autumn Note 9 launch?

Or will they stick to the current Snapdragon 845 that other Android flagship phones have?

Granted... there probably won't be much difference between the two. Smartphone chips are already plenty fast.

But Apple has a tendency of releasing new ridiculously-fast chips with their new phones because they can. Bragging rights and all that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What will find interesting is if they were able to implement the fingerprint reader under the display. Ming Kuo Suggests that they would _not_ be able to do so from a past prediction months back, but if they are successful with the Note 9, I think this would be a significant leap forward for Samsung, considering where facial recognition currently stands.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
A button.
No no. People really want to see what the button looks like up close with a macro camera.
The teaser is the stylus so you know it's the Note 9 and also the new colour. Why is that wrong for a teaser?
[doublepost=1530125212][/doublepost]
I got a note 8, great phone but I hate those stupid curved screens. You can never put on a proper glass screen protector with a curved screen. Avoid at all costs.

Also, Bixby is as useless as Siri.
There are curved screen protectors.

Also you bought a capable and advanced piece of tech but would turn others away because of the curved screen only?
[doublepost=1530125417][/doublepost]
What will find interesting is if they were able to implement the fingerprint reader under the display. Ming Kuo Suggests that they would _not_ be able to do so from a past prediction months back, but if they are successful with the Note 9, I think this would be a significant leap forward for Samsung, considering where facial recognition currently stands.
I thought I'd read they are saving this for Galaxy S10 as it's the officially the flagship (despite the Note being the more technically advanced model they make)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Elgaard

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I love the Note line... love my Note 8. Will wait and see if there is enough different to push me to upgrade. There really isn't anything about the Note 8 I'm not happy with, but rumors are they are making improvements to the camera... will wait for comparisons.

Yep, I love when the haters complain about Apple's notch but use Samsung phones with screens that aren't even a flat plane. I understand why the notch exists, but I don't understand why Samsung curved the edges of their screen.

Because the can!

The part that is curved on this device is behind a bezel on Apple phones. If you don't care for it, then don't buy it.

This forum is unbelievable. Which is it? All I hear is Samsung just copies Apple. But if they do something unique, you want to compare it to Apple? There is nothing about the Note line that is remotely similar to any Apple phone.

Samsung moved to releasing theirs before which hasn't worked so well. They get a day of press before Apple owns every headline out there the following weeks until after the iPhone release. They get completely lost in the news cycle.

It'd be much smarter to move theirs until 6 months opposite Apple, in order to get the most visibility possible.

Did you even read the article? They are releasing the Note 9 in the same cycle they did the Note 8. They haven't moved anything up or back. They release the S line and Note lines at different times of the year, and specifically not at the time Apple is announcing theirs. Seems smart to me.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Meh. I stopped getting excited about these announcements. Bring on the foldable Galaxy phone. That is hopefully going to be the biggest design breakthrough we've had in years (from any phone maker).
[doublepost=1530125874][/doublepost]
A button.
What's even worse, is it's probably about Bixby (blech!!)

Reactions: pipis2010

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Meh. I stopped getting excited about these announcements. Bring on the foldable Galaxy phone. That is hopefully going to be the biggest design breakthrough we've had in years (from any phone maker).
[doublepost=1530125874][/doublepost]
What's even worse, is it's probably about Bixby (blech!!)
Bixby can't possibly be worse than Siri.

Reactions: Regime2008

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I hope Apple loses badly in the phone business so that it goes back to its original computer business.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
No big deal, it's rumored to be the same as the Note 8. Just like the S9 was the same as the S8. I don't see any of them outselling iPhone's anytime soon.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I've used iPhones ever since the first ones, but I'm seriously considering changing this year, and the Note 9 will be in the frame. It's not an easy decision because I'm entirely tied into the Apple eco system. But the iPhone is no longer exciting, IOS is great with my iPad, but not what I'd hope for on my phone.

I've already moved my music to Spotify, my photos to google drive, and I'm looking at the other steps I need to take in order make any potential transition. It's time we saw something really new and different from Apple, instead of overpriced and frankly, boring, revisions.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The phone business is what makes Apple an (almost) $1 trillion company.

I don't care how much they make. Even an almost $1 trillion company cannot get that damn keyboard fixed for over two years. This is unacceptable. As a MBP user, I only care about the quality and services of their computers.

I own an iPhone 6s+. It is good enough already. No need to keep changing phone several times a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.