Samsung to Preinstall Spotify on New Smartphones, Including Galaxy S10

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Spotify today announced that its streaming music service will be preinstalled on the latest Samsung smartphones starting today, including the Galaxy S10, S10+, S10e, S10 5G, Galaxy Fold, and select Galaxy A models. New subscribers on those devices can receive a free six-month Spotify Premium trial in the United States.

[​IMG]

The announcement reflects a major extension of a partnership that saw Spotify become Samsung's go-to music service provider in August 2018, a move intended to provide a seamless listening experience across Samsung devices.

Spotify being preinstalled on millions of Samsung smartphones brings it more in line with Apple Music, preinstalled on hundreds of millions of iOS devices. Last month, Spotify announced that it had 96 million paid subscribers as of the end of 2018, easily topping Apple Music's over 50 million subscribers.

We recently put together an Apple Music vs. Spotify guide that compares the two streaming music services.

Article Link: Samsung to Preinstall Spotify on New Smartphones, Including Galaxy S10

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Shame it’s US only...

After using Spotify this week I do think it’s better than Apple Music from choice point of view and a better layout.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Always wondered what Apple Music's sub number would be if it wasn't pre-installed on every iPhone and the Music app/iTunes didn't spam you.

I'm all for using the better product, not if what's more convenient because it's "from Apple" and pre-installed.

4. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Spotify?! Thanks, but no thanks. If I want to listen to music, I’m going to do it the way I did back when I was a teen and the world made sense; I’m going to play low quality YouTube FLVs with lyrics made in Windows Movie Maker and copyrighted pictures straight off of Google Images! Get off my ****ing lawn, kids! :mad:

5. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Except the new update, in case you don't have it already broke the Library tab. :confused:

6. bartolo5 macrumors member

Apple extreme lockdown on its own services is detrimental in the long run. You still can't ask Siri to play music on anything other than Apple Music while Android gladly let's you select your streaming service of choice on the assistant.

7. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

This is great, no need to download it. Also Spotify is offering a free 6 months subscription to Galaxy S10 owners.

8. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Nothing strange, Android phones are known to come with bunch of bloatware, right out the box.

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

The war between iTunes Music and Spotify streaming memberships wages on.

You should care if you use either or any other audio streaming services: price and competition, and feature set of course.

10. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Spotify is bloatware? What a constructive argument!

11. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

It's a matter of perspective. For those using it, no, for those not interested in it, yes.

12. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

You can uninstall it, you know? I also don't use Apple stock yet it comes pre-installed. Point?

13. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Wonder how people would react if Apple were to install third party apps out of the box. We all remember U2.

14. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

They wouldn't install third party Apps since Apple likes to lock down the user on their own.

15. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Yeah, that's the case with most of the bloatware. There is no need for it to be there in the first place.

There is difference between own apps and third party apps.

Points are known to fly over your head really high, unfortunately.

16. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Third party Apps that users are going to download anyway?
    I suggest calming down in further replies.

17. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

Just because Apple includes bloatware (Apple Stocks) doesn't mean Samsung's inclusion of Spotify isn't bloatware. Bloatware doesn't have to be useless, it's just non-core software that increases the size of a default OS install.

Some people find it useful, others don't. It's still bloatware.

18. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Samsung didn't include any bloatware, Spotify is the most used Music streaming App, and they have a partnership with Samsung so it's extremely expected for them to pre-install the App plus offering 6 months of Premium Membership. Just because one does, the other does too.. That's the point, the other user was talking on how Samsung installs bloatware in their devices, when in reality Apple has it's own too. The arguments are so weak that they tend to start keeping their tone up.

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Well many Android users would prefer to use Spotify if they want music streaming. You're not wrong, it is technically a bloatware, but a really useful one for most. Installing it ouf of the box is likely a nice touch. Just sign in and enjoy the tunes.

20. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Quite presumptuous.

There are 2 billion active monthly Android devices. There are 170 million active monthly Spotify users. That’s a whole lot of bloat.

21. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Still the most used music streaming App, if you don't like it, uninstall it, if you like it, subscribe. Win-win.

22. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

No one’s arguing that. You were just trying to infer it’s not bloatware, when... it is. Lol.

23. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

It's not, because you can uninstall it?
    Edit: Bloatware is an App in which users have no interest in using at all and is there consuming resources and can't be uninstalled. That doesn't happen in this case.
    Edit2: "Lol"..

24. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I only see a 30 day free trial, not 6 months, but uninstalling it anyway.

25. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

Samsung takes a fee from Spotify to have it pre-installed. Reaction: Samsung sucks

Apple takes a fee from Google to have google search be the default. Reaction: Tim Apple is God.