Samsung Unveils Galaxy S20 Smartphones With 5G Connectivity, New Cameras, $1,000 to $1,400 Price Range and More

n-evo

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
At Apples OLED native resolutions they probably wouldn't need to turn them down so one might argue they’re perfected for Apple?

Anyway my real point was that Apple don’t perfect anything as they buy everything in and so someone else is always perfecting
Apple is heavily involved with the design of many hardware components. The iPhone isn’t simply a collection of off-the-shelf parts. They wouldn’t be able to design their products the way they do. Then there’s also the software side of things.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
At Apples OLED native resolutions they probably wouldn't need to turn them down so one might argue they’re perfected for Apple?

Anyway my real point was that Apple don’t perfect anything as they buy everything in and so someone else is always perfecting
That’s like saying a chef doesn’t perfect anything because all the ingredients they buy are purchased from somewhere else. The value lies in their skill in putting all these varied ingredients together to produce a dish that tastes excellent.

With Apple, the value proposition is that you are paying for an integrated solution made possible by their control over hardware, software and services. Samsung has virtually no software or services ecosystem, and so has to rely on pumping specs (even when it may not necessarily make sense) and partnerships with other brands.

I don’t think any discussion of the merits of a smartphone (much less an iphone) is complete without also bringing in the respective ecosystems into bear.

ani4ani

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
UK
That’s like saying a chef doesn’t perfect anything because all the ingredients they buy are purchased from somewhere else. The value lies in their skill in putting all these varied ingredients together to produce a dish that tastes excellent.

With Apple, the value proposition is that you are paying for an integrated solution made possible by their control over hardware, software and services. Samsung has virtually no software or services ecosystem, and so has to rely on pumping specs (even when it may not necessarily make sense) and partnerships with other brands.

I don’t think any discussion of the merits of a smartphone (much less an iphone) is complete without also bringing in the respective ecosystems into bear.
I don't disagree with your points, but to use your analogy the chef perfects the recipe; he/she doesn’t perfect the potato; that’s done by others. The point is that plenty say on here that Apple won’t do x until they have perfected y; I say Apple will do x when someone else has perfected y

Digital Dude

macrumors 6502a
Man, I see why they called it the S20.... Because it will take Apple until the iPhone 20 to match specs. :p

But as we all know with Apple, specs only take you so far. I can’t wait to see their response to this. Although I’m not sure Apple is even capable of producing a phone that compares to this thing.
Apple is plenty capable of more aggressive designs, but they are very conservative with a more incremental approach. In my experience, this used to be justified to ensure the next new feature works well. However, since we lost Steve Jobs, their reasoning appears to be more cost-centric, whereby they hold back on currently available features to encourage customers to upgrade more often. It's annoying as hell, but when you consider that Tim Cook was formally Apple's CFO, it makes sense. I do wish that Apple wasn't so lazy when it comes to new features, but there isn't a viable competitor with such well-integrated wearables and the HomePod build quality.

Heck, I would be satisfied if Apple would at least upgrade Siri to be smarter than a house plant. Google Assitant is by far more useful for providing helpful information, and I hate that I may end up purchasing Google home devices to fill the considerable gap between my five HomePods. It's the same deal with iCloud and Safari, which lags way behind everyone else. Okay, I think I broke my soapbox. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: GalileoSeven

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
..., their reasoning appears to be more cost-centric, whereby they hold back on currently available features to encourage customers to upgrade more often. It's annoying as hell, but when you consider that Tim Cook was formally Apple's CFO, it makes sense....
This line of thought does not make sense. It makes no sense at all to piss off your customers who can potentially go to another vendor.

It could be Apple has carefully planned out features to be comparable across their product lineup and hence don’t smash in features like Samsung.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple is plenty capable of more aggressive designs, but they are very conservative with a more incremental approach. In my experience, this used to be justified to ensure the next new feature works well. However, since we lost Steve Jobs, their reasoning appears to be more cost-centric, whereby they hold back on currently available features to encourage customers to upgrade more often. It's annoying as hell, but when you consider that Tim Cook was formally Apple's CFO, it makes sense. I do wish that Apple wasn't so lazy when it comes to new features, but there isn't a viable competitor with such well-integrated wearables and the HomePod build quality.
I think the more plausible reasoning is that this is the actual amount of time it takes to do a feature properly, rather than just do the bare minimum needed to check off a spec sheet and toss it out there.

Reactions: Digital Dude

dba415

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
I played around with the S20 and S20 Ultra yesterday. Now this is what a real modern smartphone is. It makes the iPhone look like a toy from 5 years ago. Side by side there is no comparison.

Samsung is destroying Apple these last couple years hardware wise.

• Haha

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I played around with the S20 and S20 Ultra yesterday. Now this is what a real modern smartphone is. It makes the iPhone look like a toy from 5 years ago. Side by side there is no comparison.

Side by side the difference is a notch vs a hole...it hardly makes the iPhone look like a toy. Stop overreacting

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Specs don’t end up mattering as much as the end user experience.

Maybe that’s why iPhones continue to sell, while Samsung’s sales are down the gutter.

dba415

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Side by side the difference is a notch vs a hole...it hardly makes the iPhone look like a toy. Stop overreacting
better display, higher refresh rate, 100x zoom, no ugly ass notch. Could go on and on but the iPhone is a toy.
Specs don’t end up mattering as much as the end user experience.

Maybe that’s why iPhones continue to sell, while Samsung’s sales are down the gutter.
user experience is another word for locked down ecosystem that traps people in it. Great for profits, overall though shady business practice from Apple.

• Haha

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
user experience is another word for locked down ecosystem that traps people in it. Great for profits, overall though shady business practice from Apple.
Nothing about what you said sounds like it is inherently bad for the user. If a locked-down ecosystem is how Apple can assure 5 years of software updates, or prevent carriers from preloading software on my devices, or maintain a thriving app marketplace, then so be it.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
better display, higher refresh rate, 100x zoom, no ugly ass notch. Could go on and on but the iPhone is a toy.

And higher refresh rate is coming likely on next iPhone. Display? The display remains great on the iPhone so no that’s not a factor

100x zoom? It’s nice as a one off thing but you can bet people will soon stop using it like they do with reverse wireless charging

So no the iPhone isn’t a toy as if it was so many wouldn’t buy them.

The new Samsung’s are great phones but doesn’t wan the iPhone isn’t great as well.

Certainly when on iPhones you’ll get regular updates and guaranteed to get new OS every year no matter what phone you have...on Samsung? You want the latest update you need to buy the latest phone....

User experience is important and why iPhones are so popular

Samsung will always have features out first to see what sticks and Apple will bring them out when they are ready and how they see fit...that’s the difference

dba415

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Nothing about what you said sounds like it is inherently bad for the user. If a locked-down ecosystem is how Apple can assure 5 years of software updates, or prevent carriers from preloading software on my devices, or maintain a thriving app marketplace, then so be it.
It is bad for users though. I personally am stuck on iPhone because of the ecosystem that I am trapped in. If I leave, for some reason it impacts other people too which is not how it should be. When apple makes it so that other people are impacted by what phone you use, it causes the feeling of being trapped because it’s easier to just conform.

Classic example, if I leave, all of a sudden my group chats become green. Why should my own decision to leave change the phone experience of other people? It makes no sense.

Apple makes it difficult to switch. I’d be on a galaxy or one plus right now if ecosystem wasn’t a thing.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It is bad for users though. I personally am stuck on iPhone because of the ecosystem that I am trapped in. If I leave, for some reason it impacts other people too which is not how it should be. When apple makes it so that other people are impacted by what phone you use, it causes the feeling of being trapped because it’s easier to just conform.

Classic example, if I leave, all of a sudden my group chats become green. Why should my own decision to leave change the phone experience of other people? It makes no sense.

Apple makes it difficult to switch. I’d be on a galaxy or one plus right now if ecosystem wasn’t a thing.
Similar type of I ssue if leaving windows for Linux.