Samsung Unveils Galaxy S20 Smartphones With 5G Connectivity, New Cameras, $1,000 to $1,400 Price Range and More

Quicksilver867

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Columbus
Has Apple ever used numbers to advertise features? A 108MP camera to Samsung would be a LiquidTastyVision Pro Camera to Apple. I don't know what kind of 'catching up' Apple would need to do, numbers-wise, in that case.

• Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

Freeangel1

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2020
If the price wasn't so HIGH . Over $1000 to $1500 I would gladly get one and switch from iPhone
these current Galaxy phones really seem to blow past the current iPhone in many ways.
Much like Windows 10 gaining market share and macOS is losing market share. The next macOS would have to have some highly desirable new features along with cheaper hardware to stay in the game with windows 10.

• Disagree
Reactions: jk1211 and Lucas284

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Here's a really interesting explanation for how that 108MP sensor works.

Is that truly a 108MP sensor or does it actually count as a tricked out 12MP sensor? The Verge reports that it squeezes 9 pixels into the space of one pixel, which is how you come up with the 108MP number (9 x 12MP = 108MP).

Can anyone translate what that means? Is it the equivalent of taking 9 shots with the best fragments of each shot being merged together to form a cleaner 12MP image or is it truly a 108MP photo squeezed onto a tiny sensor size?

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2018
I think he means when it's on, it's on almost all the time.
Arguing that since it can be turned off (and off by default) that it's not "consistent" seems a bit cheeky, eh? Like if the phone comes muted, it's doesn't have consistent sound because you have to turn it on lol?
- - Post merged: - -
Oh.... well, if it indeed does work via switch, as you say- I suppose there’s a minor point to be made there.

I assumed that you did NOT have to toggle it to on for it to ever even work once... that’s much worse than I had imagined.
I figured it defaulted to 60hz & only ramped up to 120hz when it felt it was appropriate.
According to you- it does work like that... but only after you go change it from the default “off” position- yet you feel that’s in some way better?

Lol- different strokes I suppose.
But, I personally would be suspect of the quality of a speaker on a phone that came muted (to borrow your example), or of screen tech that purposefully comes disabled (to use a bit of a more real world example).

Last edited:
Reactions: GuruZac

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
What is Samsung thinking with these prices? $1599? They need to bring back the $199/2yr contact days. Seriously!
Yea it's insane that for the businesses that can still do 2yr, the freaking subsidized price is still a grand for some of the higher storage devices. Installments are just a scam to hide the real price behind a lower monthly amount. You can see the correlation between when installments started and phone prices rising.

EDIT: And heck installments are going out of control now when they are higher than your freaking share of the plan!

This comment isn't really directed at you, but I've always found it odd that people quote resale value when trying to decide which phone they're discussing if one phone is better than the other. All things being equal, it makes sense to have some concern about that, but it shouldn't be a key focus of how you evaluate which phone suits your needs better.

Looks like Samsung's bringing us back to the megapixel wars again in a big way. Total strangers are going to start walking up to you to start conversations by asking how many megapickles you have in your camera.

Next we will go back to judging computers based on storage. "Nice computer! How big is the hard drive?"
I'd rather shun those computers with only HDDs. There's no way in heck I would ever get a computer without SSD anymore. At the very least I would want one with the tiny boot one. Rather wait like 5s for boot than 2m+ But yea there is still a need for a base level of storage. Was running low with 256. Now I have 512, so that should be plenty for a while.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This comment isn't really directed at you, but I've always found it odd that people quote resale value when trying to decide which phone they're discussing if one phone is better than the other. All things being equal, it makes sense to have some concern about that, but it shouldn't be a key focus of how you evaluate which phone suits your needs better.

Looks like Samsung's bringing us back to the megapixel wars again in a big way. Total strangers are going to start walking up to you to start conversations by asking how many megapickles you have in your camera.

Next we will go back to judging computers based on storage. "Nice computer! How big is the hard drive?"
well no I only mentioned it due to who I was quoting. Not really a deal breaker for those who are on annual upgrades.

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2018
I've always found it odd that people quote resale value when trying to decide which phone they're discussing if one phone is better than the other. All things being equal, it makes sense to have some concern about that, but it shouldn't be a key focus of how you evaluate which phone suits your needs better.
STRONG, STRONG disagree here!
I’d say- if you are interested in having a new phone every year (I know I sure am!), then high resale value is the difference of having the net cost of a phone, after selling your old one be $200-250 to stay in the latest iPhone, or $550-600 to stay in the latest Galaxy.
In what world is it “odd” to consider the fact that your ongoing cost would be less than 1/2 with one premium handset vs. another?

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Nothing wrong with 8k. Just makes the phone more future proof...kinda like them (and Apple more than likely) including 5g in their phone.
Right but 5G will pretty much be the new normal by the end of this year. 8K...not so much

Some of us do care about 8K video, but not in a smart phone. And it's likely to be "here" in 5 years and not 10.
4K content is still just trickling out, and you think 8K will be the norm in just five years?? Damn gimme a hit of whatever you're smoking

So what if it is a ripoff? If it does the same and costs me less as a consumer, I should be happy. Corporations have been ripping each other off forever. Don't be surprised if you look back in Apple history and see them doing the same.
Oh they absolutely have, yeah. I guess it's just the flagrant arrogance with which Samsung does their rip-offs that really bothers me. Like they're almost proud to copy others more than they innovate themselves.

Last edited:

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany
In terms of looks? In every single way.

At the same price point, I'll choose the iPhone EVERY time.
When it comes to built quality and the combination of the right materials you're certainly right. But come on, if you look at the front of the phone you have to admit that the hole-punch display is the more elegant solution compared to the notch - by far!

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Oh they absolutely have, yeah. I guess it's just the flagrant arrogance with which Samsung does their rip-offs that really bothers me. Like they're almost proud to copy others more than they innovate themselves.
But we have the ridiculous situation whereby Samsung get accused of ripping off Apple Airpods when Samsung released their first wireless IconX buds BEFORE Apple announced the AirPods. And the latest Galaxy Buds design is basically the same as that first IconX release

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
But we have the ridiculous situation whereby Samsung get accused of ripping off Apple Airpods when Samsung released their first wireless IconX buds BEFORE Apple announced the AirPods. And the latest Galaxy Buds design is basically the same as that first IconX release
Then pick any of the other hundred times Samsung has copied Apple. They both copy, Samsung just does it a lot more and is much worse at it lol

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
Oh.... well, if it indeed does work via switch, as you say- I suppose there’s a minor point to be made there.

I assumed that you did NOT have to toggle it to on for it to ever even work once... that’s much worse than I had imagined.
I figured it defaulted to 60hz & only ramped up to 120hz when it felt it was appropriate.
According to you- it does work like that... but only after you go change it from the default “off” position- yet you feel that’s in some way better?

But, I personally would be suspect of the quality of a speaker on a phone that came muted (to borrow your example), or of screen tech that purposefully comes disabled (to use a bit of a more real world example).
All Sasmung phones prior also came switched to 1080p by default, too. Even though they all have 1440p screens for quite a while now. It's the same idea. Why they do this? I don't know.

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
Absolutely and it does a lot less also.
Yeah, I am not sure why people have amnesia about the notch, and what it’s actually housing. Of course Samsung and others can get away with no notch, they don’t have nearly as sophisticated a facial recognition system. I’ll gladly take the completely functional notch and design of the iPhone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’m basing it on comparison sites and all major pieces to sell devices.

Resale value remains great on iPhones and trash on all android devices

In the US sure but the US isn’t the only country in the world..everywhere else it’s trash
Nah I think it’s just the U.K. that Samsung are neglecting. They get a lot of free stuff in Asian countries too. Hell they give away TVs as pre order gifts in some Asian countries.

All Sasmung phones prior also came switched to 1080p by default, too. Even though they all have 1440p screens for quite a while now. It's the same idea. Why they do this? I don't know.
They started doing it after the note 7 battery issue. I think they were being cautious initially about taxing the battery.

Samsung have been doing this since the S8. I don’t think we can doubt the quality of Samsung’s OLED displays. Not only from Samsung’s own displays over the years but even Apple themselves have their displays manufactured by Samsung.

Yeah, I am not sure why people have amnesia about the notch, and what it’s actually housing. Of course Samsung and others can get away with no notch, they don’t have nearly as sophisticated a facial recognition system. I’ll gladly take the completely functional notch and design of the iPhone.
There’s obviously no other way to do it at present. Huawei and Google both have Face ID like facial recognition and they all have a notch.

Whilst the front of an S20 look better visually, Apple get a pass because it’s necessary for Face ID.

I think the pricing problem is a vicious cycle (same with iPhone). Prices increase, so sales fall. Sales fall, so prices go up to keep profits where they were.

Back when phones were £6/700, it wasn't uncommon to see people upgrade every year. You could buy for £700, sell a year later for £350, and repeat. It's hard to justify doing that now given high prices are.
It’s the same really. The phones cost more but they really worth more in a years time. I got £650 for both my X and Xs max a year after I got it. Last year for example. I has about £900 left to pay off on my Xs max. Sold my Xs max for £650 and then I only £250 left to pay it off and upgrade to the 11 pro max.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That ship has sailed for 2020. In fact it may have seemed Apple pushed Samsung to up their camera game.
Well technically there is still time. It’s only been 5 months since the 11 pro launched and Samsung were able to up their game.

To be honest the camera is pretty good already. I would only really look for more optical zoom. I also want pencil support and split screen apps but I don’t think it will happen. However Apple are know for doing things in their own time. Working to their own plan and don’t generally react quickly to what others are doing. They have been very successful in this approach so I don’t see them changing their strategy anytime soon.

Reactions: I7guy