Samsung Unveils Galaxy S20 Smartphones With 5G Connectivity, New Cameras, $1,000 to $1,400 Price Range and More

satchmo

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
If Apple halved the size of it's bezel and notch, it would make a world of difference to my eyes.
And oh, bring back the straight edged sides.

tomO2013

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2020
The notch houses a very sophisticated sensor and camera array that allows for face ID and a very sophisticated user friendly security mechanism that I've personally found vastly more usable and quick than the face unlock and in screen finger print unlock on my Note 10+.

The only somewhat comparable technology wise is the Huawei Mate 20 and Mate 30 pro but the Mate 30 pro doesn't have Google play services so that's a non starter for me, nevermind the other security concerns. I doubt their facial security system is as robust as Apples notch technology plus custom on device enclave.

As for cameras , again I still don't understand the the notion that the iPhone pro 11 is playing catch-up. On a raw spec sheet 12 looks a LOT less than 108. However again to reiterate (larger photosites of the same sensor generation are inherently better at low light gathering than smaller photosites). Yes the 108mp sensor has a binning process where it downsamples to 12mp but there is no getting away from the fact that it is still unlikely to be as 'good' in low light. 108mp also cannot avoid the issues of physics with diffraction, so those 108mp are unlikely to yield much more detail than an upsampled 12mp phone image IMHO (speculation no doubt, but samsungs 108mp samples in good light don't look massively more detailed than my Lumix S1R).
I haven't heard mention from anybody on the quality of the camera lenses themselves. the quality of the glass design. Huawei cameras have a partnership with Leica on camera, sensor, glass and ISP (but not front facing camera strangely). Source https://www.zdnet.com/article/7-things-to-know-about-leica-and-huaweis-partnership/

I still think the overall custom silicon package where everything from hardware, to software to services are designed and integrated in house arrives at a better consumer product. The A12 processor and GPU already outperform Androids best in the majority of games, with the A13 being faster again. For computational photography that gives the iPhone a significant advantage. As for memory - on heavy hitting apps where the rubber hits the road consistently iOS appears to more aggressively manage the memory that it has and battery life as a result. I'd like to have more so that I could say I have more, but truthfully in a phone that already multitasks very very fast without slow down or pausing I've no complaints. Arguably I have more apps concurrently open on my iPhone than Note 10 with 12GB ram on Android 10.

I'm sure there will be many more nice Android phones released this year and it's a good thing to have competition. Personally I'm more interested in what Huawei do with the Mate 40 pro as from a hardware perspective, I feel they are leading the Android pack. Samsung, LG are playing catch-up. The trade ban and impact to google play services was probably a blessing in disguise for them!

Jared Strike

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
It kinda reminds me of Spinal Tap but for phones....

Samsung Rep: The numbers all go to twenty. Look, right across the board, twenty, twenty, twenty and...
Apple Fanboy: Oh, I see. And most phones go up to eleven?
Samsung Rep: Exactly.
Apple Fanboy: Does that mean it's faster? Is it any faster?
Samsung Rep: Well, it's one faster, isn't it? It's not eleven. You see, most blokes, you know, will be using an eleven. You're on eleven here, all the way, all the way, all the way, you're on eleven in your hand. Where can you go from there? Where?
Apple Fanboy: I don't know.
Samsung Rep: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Apple Fanboy: Put it up to twenty.
Samsung Rep: Twenty. Exactly. nine better.
Apple Fanboy: Why don't you just make eleven better and make twelve be the top number and make that a little better?
[Pause.]
Samsung Rep: These go to twenty.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I was excited for the zoom lens, but it seems Samsung marketing is all smoke and mirrors - downright deceptive. This may be the greatest exaggeration we've seen lately... they claim 100x hybrid zoom. We already know that when they use the word hybrid, its at least partly digital, but how much?

I saw a few of the youtubers throw around "10x optical" but as it turns out, it is not 10x optical.

It is not even 5x optical.

It is actually around 3.9x optical zoom compared to the regular camera, or roughly about 101 mm in full frame equivalent terms.

It gets a little crazier... the regular S20 and S20 Plus have a supposed telephoto lens too. Then I saw what I thought was a typo. Field of view is 76° vs 79° for the main sensor. That's a roughly 0.057x optical zoom, or about 26 mm for the main sensor vs. 27.5 mm for the "telephoto" lens.

This "telephoto" lens also has a sensor size of 1/1.172" vs 1/1.176" for the main camera. What this means is that the S20 and S20+ have two cameras that are nearly the same, and are differentiated pretty much only by resolution (which allows for digital zoom aka cropping).

Reactions: Cosmosent

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Well technically there is still time. It’s only been 5 months since the 11 pro launched and Samsung were able to up their game.

To be honest the camera is pretty good already. I would only really look for more optical zoom. I also want pencil support and split screen apps but I don’t think it will happen. However Apple are know for doing things in their own time. Working to their own plan and don’t generally react quickly to what others are doing. They have been very successful in this approach so I don’t see them changing their strategy anytime soon.
Things like this are probably years in the making. You don’t just see what the competition is doing and then come out with a better offering in a matter of months.

This is probably the year where many of the things Samsung is working on just happen to come together (or maybe they just decided to save them for 2020). I doubt they will be able to replicate this feat every year.

Just like it will probably be another 2-3 years before we see a significant camera upgrade to the iphone.

Cosmosent

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Two "Camera" Specs stand-out:

1.)
Their Best Image Sensor is Available ONLY with the S20 & S20+ !

See the 12 Mpx Back Wide, & notice the size of the pixels !

2.)
Their HDR10+ Video support is at least now in Beta !

jwalesh96

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
The gear icon X, looking just like the galaxy buds cane out before the first gen AirPods. They had a charging case and were truly wireless.

But we have the ridiculous situation whereby Samsung get accused of ripping off Apple Airpods when Samsung released their first wireless IconX buds BEFORE Apple announced the AirPods. And the latest Galaxy Buds design is basically the same as that first IconX release
Galaxy buds, gear icon, airpods are nice and all but none of them are the first.The Bragi Dash from 2015 are technically the first truly wireless earbuds. So lets not argue if Samsung or Apple were first when neither were.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
Dude, you actually encourages doing ripoffs? Maybe most people are like you and ONLY care about their wallets staying big. But I encourage being creative and doing R&D yourself.

Their phones are amazing. But the earbuds are just a ripoff.
I encourage innovation, but that does not mean it will happen. Stealing ideas is all over in the business world. Also there comes a time when design becomes a standard, like all TVs are basically a black rectangular slab.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Galaxy buds, gear icon, airpods are nice and all but none of them are the first.The Bragi Dash from 2015 are technically the first truly wireless earbuds. So lets not argue if Samsung or Apple were first when neither were.
I didn’t say Samsung were the first. Merely disproving that Samsung did not in fact copy the AirPods as has been falsely claimed several times in this thread. I don’t think the other poster was arguing that Samsung were first either.
- - Post merged: - -

Dude, you actually encourages doing ripoffs? Maybe most people are like you and ONLY care about their wallets staying big. But I encourage being creative and doing R&D yourself.

Their phones are amazing. But the earbuds are just a ripoff.
A rip off of what? The gear icon X came out before the AirPods. Maybe you should do a bit of fact checking before you start throwing around the term rip off.

I have an iPhone and a lot of Apple products but I’m ashamed of the arrogance of many Apple users. So quick to shout rip off and copy cat without any thought or doing any fact checking.

I was excited for the zoom lens, but it seems Samsung marketing is all smoke and mirrors - downright deceptive. This may be the greatest exaggeration we've seen lately... they claim 100x hybrid zoom. We already know that when they use the word hybrid, its at least partly digital, but how much?

I saw a few of the youtubers throw around "10x optical" but as it turns out, it is not 10x optical.

It is not even 5x optical.

It is actually around 3.9x optical zoom compared to the regular camera, or roughly about 101 mm in full frame equivalent terms.

It gets a little crazier... the regular S20 and S20 Plus have a supposed telephoto lens too. Then I saw what I thought was a typo. Field of view is 76° vs 79° for the main sensor. That's a roughly 0.057x optical zoom, or about 26 mm for the main sensor vs. 27.5 mm for the "telephoto" lens.

This "telephoto" lens also has a sensor size of 1/1.172" vs 1/1.176" for the main camera. What this means is that the S20 and S20+ have two cameras that are nearly the same, and are differentiated pretty much only by resolution (which allows for digital zoom aka cropping).
Obviously you need to look beyond all the hype and see what’s really going on. The optical zoom on the ultra has been pegged at between 4-5 X optical zoom by those who have been able to access the devices so far. Which is on par with what others are doing in the industry like Huwawei and quite a lot better than Apple’s current offering. However the real proof will be in the pudding so to speak. We need To see real world Pictures from these cameras to see if they are in fact any good.

However it was already known that it wasn’t 10X optical zoom before it even launched. The leakers has already teased that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrincePoppycock

n-evo

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
well Samsung have perfected them, so it’s possible
“Perfected” would mean you can use the Galaxy S20’s screen at full native resolution when turning on 120 fps. Sadly that’s not the case and there’s a trade-off to be made: a much lower screen resolution for higher fps. Also, there’s no need to be chauvinistic towards Samsung with me.

[...] at the same time, it’s not quite as impressive as it could be. That’s because the S20's 120Hz mode only works when the phone is set to Full HD+ resolution.

Nice the option is there? Yes. Perfected? No, not when that limitation stil exists.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Think having 120HZ to full HD makes sense from a battery point of view plus how noticeable is it from HD to 1440p? I would rather have 120HZ than 1440p

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
“Perfected” would mean you can use the Galaxy S20’s screen at full native resolution when turning on 120 fps. Sadly that’s not the case and there’s a trade-off to be made: lower screen resolution for higher fps. Also, there’s no need to be chauvinistic towards Samsung with me.

The final product turns out to have the same limitation. Nice the option is there? Yes. Perfected? No.
So let me get this straight.

We have a phone which sports a 1440p display but defaults to 1080p.

The specs boast 120hz screen but it defaults to 60hz. And you need to go into a menu to toggle these on, which not everyone will do.

The camera is 108 MP but spits out 12 MP photos.

Seems like an impressive spec sheet on paper at first glance, but then there are all these asterisks and fine print which make it less than stellar in actual usage.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
I never claimed that Samsung were first to release wireless earbuds. I was pointing out that Samsung could not have copied Apple's design.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
“Perfected” would mean you can use the Galaxy S20’s screen at full native resolution when turning on 120 fps. Sadly that’s not the case and there’s a trade-off to be made: a much lower screen resolution for higher fps. Also, there’s no need to be chauvinistic towards Samsung with me.

Nice the option is there? Yes. Perfected? No, not when that limitation stil exists.
Would be nice to actually stream videos at a higher resolution than 1080p on my 11 pro max. Or even on my iPad Pro or iPad mini. I’m stuck on 1080p though. 1080p isn’t a low resolution though. I mean it is higher than the resolution on the iPhone 11 and that is acceptable so what’s wrong with 1080p.

The notch houses a very sophisticated sensor and camera array that allows for face ID and a very sophisticated user friendly security mechanism that I've personally found vastly more usable and quick than the face unlock and in screen finger print unlock on my Note 10+.

The only somewhat comparable technology wise is the Huawei Mate 20 and Mate 30 pro but the Mate 30 pro doesn't have Google play services so that's a non starter for me, nevermind the other security concerns. I doubt their facial security system is as robust as Apples notch technology plus custom on device enclave.

As for cameras , again I still don't understand the the notion that the iPhone pro 11 is playing catch-up. On a raw spec sheet 12 looks a LOT less than 108. However again to reiterate (larger photosites of the same sensor generation are inherently better at low light gathering than smaller photosites). Yes the 108mp sensor has a binning process where it downsamples to 12mp but there is no getting away from the fact that it is still unlikely to be as 'good' in low light. 108mp also cannot avoid the issues of physics with diffraction, so those 108mp are unlikely to yield much more detail than an upsampled 12mp phone image IMHO (speculation no doubt, but samsungs 108mp samples in good light don't look massively more detailed than my Lumix S1R).
I haven't heard mention from anybody on the quality of the camera lenses themselves. the quality of the glass design. Huawei cameras have a partnership with Leica on camera, sensor, glass and ISP (but not front facing camera strangely). Source https://www.zdnet.com/article/7-things-to-know-about-leica-and-huaweis-partnership/

I still think the overall custom silicon package where everything from hardware, to software to services are designed and integrated in house arrives at a better consumer product. The A12 processor and GPU already outperform Androids best in the majority of games, with the A13 being faster again. For computational photography that gives the iPhone a significant advantage. As for memory - on heavy hitting apps where the rubber hits the road consistently iOS appears to more aggressively manage the memory that it has and battery life as a result. I'd like to have more so that I could say I have more, but truthfully in a phone that already multitasks very very fast without slow down or pausing I've no complaints. Arguably I have more apps concurrently open on my iPhone than Note 10 with 12GB ram on Android 10.

I'm sure there will be many more nice Android phones released this year and it's a good thing to have competition. Personally I'm more interested in what Huawei do with the Mate 40 pro as from a hardware perspective, I feel they are leading the Android pack. Samsung, LG are playing catch-up. The trade ban and impact to google play services was probably a blessing in disguise for them!
Oh Samsung are definitely playing catch up to Huwawei. No arguments there. Huwawei caught everyone on the back foot these past two years, including Apple. I wouldn’t mention LG in the same breath as Samsung though as they fell far behind years ago and haven’t been in the conversation for some time.

I think we just have to wait and see with these cameras. When the reviews and comparisons come out we will see what’s what. However I applaud them for not trying to plod on with the same camera set up as they have been doing these past few years.

The iPhone might have the might of the A series chips but it still can’t or won’t run 2 apps at the same time annoyingly.

Last edited:

jwalesh96

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
I never claimed that Samsung were first to release wireless earbuds. I was pointing out that Samsung could not have copied Apple's design.
I didn’t say Samsung were the first. Merely disproving that Samsung did not in fact copy the AirPods as has been falsely claimed several times in this thread. I don’t think the other poster was arguing that Samsung were first either.
Might've been someone else in the thread but good to see you two got your facts straight. However I think people here probably see the buds trying to cash in on AirPods success as the galaxy buds came after the original AirPods and was marketed way more than the gear icon X (thus wasn't known by most readers here). Especially after all the things Samsung does similar to apple (in the past :Face ID logo, iPhone vs galaxy, iPad vs galaxy tablets)etc, its sort of become reflex for people.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Think having 120HZ to full HD makes sense from a battery point of view plus how noticeable is it from HD to 1440p? I would rather have 120HZ than 1440p
I don’t even know if I notice it on my iPad Pro. However maybe there is something to the pro motion. My iPad Pro has the A10X chip, my iPad mini the A12 and 11 pro max the A13 and I honestly don’t feel that my iPad Pro is any slower or less smooth than my devices with newer chips. So maybe it has something to do with the pro motion.

I guess it’s nice that they give people the choice. I wonder how Apple will implement it.

satchmo

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
So let me get this straight.

The specs boast 120hz screen but it defaults to 60hz. And you need to go into a menu to toggle these on, which not everyone will do.

Seems like an impressive spec sheet on paper at first glance, but then there are all these asterisks and fine print which make it less than stellar in actual usage.
To be fair, let’s wait for actual usage before deeming it less than stellar.

Reactions: PrincePoppycock

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don’t even know if I notice it on my iPad Pro. However maybe there is something to the pro motion. My iPad Pro has the A10X chip, my iPad mini the A12 and 11 pro max the A13 and I honestly don’t feel that my iPad Pro is any slower or less smooth than my devices with newer chips. So maybe it has something to do with the pro motion.

I guess it’s nice that they give people the choice. I wonder how Apple will implement it.
I think apple will go all in like with pro motion it will be used as it is...not like they will give option to reduce the screen res.

it's noticeable to me but im sure apple will try and do it better like they like to do so.,

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Have you heard of pixel binning?

In comparison to the iPhone that does not even offer any high refresh rate at any resolution. They are called options, better to have them and have to turn it on then not have it at all.

I think Samsung have done a great job with the S20 line besides the Ultras price. Reports are already out that the haptic feedback is better than Apples implementation. They also run smoother then iPhone due to the 120hz refresh rate. I think the Camera is going to depend largely on the software where Samsung has not quite caught up to Google and Apple but the camera hardware is very impressive and at the very least is going to give more detail then its competitors using 12mp sensors due to the higher resolution.

Lastly this competition is driving the market forward, Expect to see Apple doing the same thing next year which is a good thing.

Last edited:

ani4ani

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
UK

At Apples OLED native resolutions they probably wouldn't need to turn them down so one might argue they’re perfected for Apple?

Anyway my real point was that Apple don’t perfect anything as they buy everything in and so someone else is always perfecting