Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jd3774life

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Kansas City
Except that it does.

Give a photographer a Canon T3i from 2011 and some random off the street a 5ds with the same lens and see how that works out for you
Except that it does. This is the same sensor used by Huawei, and it already beat the iPhone 11 Pro in a comparison made by Marques Brownlee.

This is Samsung's implementation, which I guess will be better. Anyway the phone selectively adjust and decides the Megapixel count depending on the light conditions, it will not always try to use the 108 MPx sensor. It has a 12 MPx for low light situations.

You can also zoom optically to crazy levels, that is very Pro my friend. It has focused definition, meaning it can decide to select parts of your image, focused on it and make it look sharper. Instead of accusing this phone of gimmicky, Apple should see what the competition is doing and try to deliver much more.

I didn't say that this camera is worse than the iPhone 11 Pro.. having more megapixels alone doesn't mean better pictures.

They were pushing the "Megapixel" count in the live stream and I was simply stating that megapixels isn't everything in photography. They are just pushing these massive numbers for wow factor to trick consumers. I like that Apple actually makes improvements in other areas of the camera without focusing on the megapixels of the camera

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Very impressive specs, including a “ProMotion” equivalent display refresh rates (120), a base storage of 128 GB (further expandable) and really impressive sounding cameras. Apple will be playing catch up this autumn and I hope they deliver. ?

Last edited:

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
no one can argue that the front looks great, we'll see how the fingerprint sensor works along with their implementation of face id

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Very impressive specs, including a “ProMotion” equivalent display refresh rates (120), a base storage of 128 GB (further expandable) and really impressive sounding cameras. Apple will be playing catch up this autumn and I hope they deliver. ?

ProMotion dynamically adjusts the refresh rate. No android phone manufacturer has ever stated that their high refreshrate screens can adjust on the fly.

Also, adoptable storage is still garbage. I buy Apple's highest capacity phones for a reason (and not because there isn't an SD Card slot for water and dust to get in through).

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
  • No one gives a s**t about 8K video and shouldn't for like a decade at least
  • More pixels in a camera ≠ better image quality
  • Samsung campers have criticized the iPhone's camera bump for years, only to introduce the absolute fugliest one yet of anyone in the industry
  • Enjoy your 16GB of RAM - you'll need at least half of it to run that god-awful bloatware Samsung loads on top of Android
  • "Galaxy Buds" are a clear and blatant rip off of the AirPods (I'm guessing they were so busy trying to even catch up that they had no time to come up with a more original design)
Did I miss anything?

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Wrong. I can put the best sensor in the world and it will look awful without a good lens and good image processing software.

Wrong? Did you really mention "image processing"? The same guys that started low light photography through Image Processing... Man, iPhone 11 Pro is the only decent phone Apple has released in this regard, Samsung and Google have been killing it in the Image Processing and Digital Photography field for years.

Reactions: decypher44 and ksec

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
ProMotion dynamically adjusts the refresh rate. No android phone manufacturer has ever stated that their high refreshrate screens can adjust on the fly.

That's just marketing on Apple's part for Panel Self Refresh. Everything has it at this point for power savings, even my crappy 5 year old Dell with a 60 Hz LCD.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Wrong? Did you really mention "image processing"? The same guys that started low light photography through Image Processing... Man, iPhone 11 Pro is the only decent phone Apple has released in this regard, Samsung and Google have been killing it in the Image Processing and Digital Photography field for years.

You realize any color picture requires image processing because color data is interpolated? At this point, noise removal, dead pixel removal, color processing is just as important as the optics.

Reactions: subi257 and GFR50

gregrichards

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
The few Samsung phones I have always had problems with them and they also plummeted in value after less than 12 months. I prefer iPhones and they retain more of there value when I upgrade every year. I will never buy another Samsung phone I don't care how many megapixels the cameras have.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Interesting to see Samsung go away from the screen that falls over the edge, and now it looks more uniformly flat right across. Just my opinion, but I never liked that curved screen edges.

Also interesting, I'm surprised that yet again they still haven't managed to get symmetrical bezels. They're quite thin on the sides and the top, but somehow the 'chin' is a thicker bezel still.

Also, adoptable storage is still garbage. I buy Apple's highest capacity phones for a reason (and not because there isn't an SD Card slot for water and dust to get in through).

Just an FYI regarding the refresh rate - by default the phone runs at 60hz with the native QHD+ resolution, and to run it at 120hz the resolution drops to 1080p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.