Samsung's Galaxy S9 Expected to Copy iPhone X's Animoji Feature

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Compote macrumors regular

Compote

Well, if they think animoji are so interesting...

2. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

The only time you’ll see MR readers agreeing with each other and not roasting Apple. When Samsung copies.

3. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Why not copy what every 13 yr old girl wants?

It's the new innovation and design! Thank You Timmy. :D

This is why I skipped the 2017 iPhones. Removed functionality, added features I do not need. :(

4. vnrwka macrumors newbie

I thought the name “Animoji” was what mattered, not the feature

5. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Seriously, does anyone really care? Does any 13 year old girl even? LOL

6. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

Nobody is saying Apple invented facial recognition... this is a very specific use for it, animating an emoji character.

7. ds2000 macrumors regular

ds2000

I hope one day that Apple give us iOS Pro, basically iOS 6 with the last releases crap removed. The AR stuff on the X looks nice but I can wait 2 years for it to be mainstream, much like I can wait another 2 years to upgrade my HD TV :)

8. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

Whats funny is that MSN Messenger and BB have probably went their whole product lifetime never upgrading the smilies or emojis as they call them today. No one paid so much attention to smilies except for Apple and I don't know why.

to be honest, it seemed like a bad idea at start, but given the AUX->lightening connector dongle and the success of the wireless earpods, it really has worked out well without the AUX.

9. woocintosh macrumors newbie

woocintosh

10. thasan macrumors 6502a

Hey samsung, suggested name: "Copiji"
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    or in other words, google didnt have the foresight to introduce it before apple or even accept that its a good idea when it came out.

11. yansun macrumors regular

Says a lot about the status quo of smartphones in 2017/18, if one of the two major smartphone producers thinks it has to promote animojis as one of the stand out features of its flagship phone and then the other one quickly follows in thinking it has to copy it. Yes, more and better poop animojis please ... :rolleyes:

12. Sunshoopa macrumors regular

Sunshoopa

I usually don’t mind copying at all. If it’s good, I HOPE a company copy’s it. But this? No thanks.

13. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

We really are scraping the barrel when something as irrelevant as animoji is being ripped off. I guess phone makers are all out of ideas.

14. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

You’re missing the point. Apple paid to use Samsung’s OLED screens, while Samsung is violating an Apple patent. You originally compared this story to oled screens.

15. spacemnspiff, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Umm, what can I say, 'good riddance' comes to mind.

You probably missed the memo. Let me break it to you, it's called flattening of innovation/feature expansion curve. The PC curve has been completely flat for years and smartphones are flattening out as well.
    [​IMG]

16. vahdyx macrumors regular

vahdyx

Americans really do love their monopolies lol.

17. coolfactor macrumors 68040

It's easy to simplify something like that down to make an argument in a public forum, but the fact is that once Apple acquired the basic 3D technology, they improved upon it, scaled down the technology to fit inside a phone, build in hardware support, built in software support (via APIs), and delivered a working product to consumers. They did not buy a finished product.
    I fail to see how Apple is "sketchy" in this context. EMONSTER is not a valid, registered company. Apple states that multiple times throughout their application for cancellation of the trademark. Seems pretty simple to me.

18. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 6502a

Samsung deserves props for what?!? Going in a snarfing up a bunch of AMOLED patents, conducting fake "research" and creating even MORE fake patents in the OLED field, then creating products that have the EXACT SAME DEFECTS as OLED has had for YEARS?

Innovation, ho!
    Everything is a copy of the wheel.

News at 11.
    Samsung hasn't made Apple SoCs for quite a while now. And Apple has been trying not to use Samsung sources for other components, too. But unfortunately, Samsung holds pretty much all the Patents in AMOLED technology; so they are essentially the only game in town if you want an AMOLED display in your product.

And in derogation of your snide remarks about sourcing ICs from Samsung, the ONLY thing in the iPhone X that is Samsung is that display:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+X+Teardown/98975

Oh, and BTW, that Samsung AMOLED display just HAPPENS to have an APPLE controller of some kind on it.

So, I would say, part-for-part, Samsung has FAR less presence in the iPhone X than I would bet ANY other Smartphone on the planet.
    Sure Apple has copied SOME things; but Samsung copies EVERYthing.

There's a difference.
    You may disagree; but IMHO, the HomePod is a pretty revolutionary product. They have some quite-not-typical (but still, existing) technology brought together in a unique way. What else is the definition of "innovation"? Afterall, the iPhone brought together a lot of existing technologies; but did so in a unique way.
    But at this point, if you're not creating a Star Trek transporter or Faster Than Light travel, it's pretty damned hard to honestly put the label "revolutionary" on a "tech" product.
    It may seem like a stupid feature to you; but you forget that Samsung is a KOREAN company. And, not to be racist; but it SURE seems that cultures from that part of the globe (Japan, China, S. Korea, Etc.) SURE do seem to like a LOT of things that a lot of "Westerners" find "silly".

Animoji fits RIGHT into that profile. I'll bet they passed that iPhone X around in the Samsung boardroom for a solid HOUR, playing with the Animoji! Everything about it is PERFECT for them!

As I said, that is NOT intended as a "slight", nor a "racist" observation. It's just TRUE.

19. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 6502a

MUCH more advanced.
    So, the Logitech and Intel "Avatars" had built-in Mo-Cap?

I think not.
    You mean: "Imitation is the flattest form of insincerity." Right?
    And let's just see what Samsung copied from Apple...

Oh right. Here it is!

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/17/technology/apple-samsung/index.html

I rest my case.
    Because they sucked-up all the patents on the technology about 11 years ago, then PRETENDED to "innovate".

Funny that their "Advanced" AMOLEDS STILL have ALL the same lifespan and burn-in issues that plagued the OLED/AMOLED industry back in 2007...

20. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I think I perfectly understand what the word ‘innovative’ means, and you can ‘invent’ somthing that’s ‘innovative’.

21. TheHammer macrumors member

TheHammer

well dah, wouldn’t be very Samsung if they didn’t

22. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

So, let me get this straight, based on your statements, that since APPLE acquired the basic 3D technology, they improved upon it? Where are you getting these facts from (I did no research on this, so I don't if was basic technology or if it was at a more advanced stage than BASIC)? I have seen, as I am sure you have as well, seen plenty of HOLLYWOOD movies that have used this said technology for years. Did Apple scale it down to a phone, do you know that for a fact or is it all speculation because apple put it in the iPhone X? Also, are you implying, that Samsung, in the process of COPYING APPLE, that they did not purchasing and/or improve (as you said) upon the technology that already exists to put it in their phones? So what if Samsung puts it in their phones. My point was, it was being made out that APPLE INVENTED AMIMOJIs. The only thing they did was invent the name.

Dude, I understand your point, but really, all this over animated cartoon characters that follow ones facial movements is really this big of a deal? And it's news here because Samsung may be doing the same with their next phone? Who cares? Really, if it were not for Both companies copying each other, there are a lot of things both companies would be missing out on a PHONE, (Touch ID, wireless charging, OLED screens, 3D facial recognition, etc).

As for the 3d facial mapping, this is awesome technology and it's great that it is now in a handheld device. Just can't wait to see how Apple and/or Samsung and/or any other company implements it going forward.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2018 ---
    Yep, could not agree more.

23. Vlad.E. macrumors newbie

Vlad.E.

:rolleyes:

All cars use round wheels!!

Shocker!!

24. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

LG makes amoled screens and they are not as bright nor have close to the same color accuracy and have way worse image burning and rentention.

Apple picked Samsung amoled because they are simply the best screens you can buy .

25. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 6502a

They may be the best AMOLED screens; but in the last decade, Samsung really hasn't fixed the underlying problems with OLED displays in general; so I am still not so impressed.