Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
To all the Samsung haters, just remember that competition is a good thing, and there will be a "next time" at some time, and it might hit closer to home.
I agree, but it's sometimes also fun to watch a single company sail all the way to the finish line and see how far they can go uncontested.

Next quarter promises to be a very strong quarter for the iPhone 7, assuming Apple can finally sort out their supply constraints. I for one want to see how close to 100% profits Apple can garner this time round. This is probably the one and only chance Apple gets to get within that amount.

paulryp

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
This title is misleading. They are still the Market leaders and the Edge S7 is better than Anything Apple has at present. Im confident that the S7 Edge will be better than NEXT years iPhone.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
“We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas”
Steve Jobs

"Good artists copy. Great artists Steal."
Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs did always talk S*@T. *Joke*

At the end of the day, Samsung will have to deal with the mess.

Lets hope they spend a little more time on internal design with their next release and then maybe exploding phones won't be a problem.

Last edited:

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
I'm sure that this explains why people worship him like he was the next Jesus.

I still have much respect for the man. I don't agree with everything he said though. He should have known that when other companies inevitably copied Apple and Apple users pointed that out, trolls would come and use those words to some how justify it...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
To all the Samsung haters, just remember that competition is a good thing, and there will be a "next time" at some time, and it might hit closer to home.
Yeah, competition is a good thing, unless you are Samsung. In that case, competition by producers of non-exploding smartphones is really painful.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
“We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas”
Steve Jobs

"Good artists copy. Great artists Steal."
Steve Jobs.

Original quote by Pablo Picasso. One GREAT artist. Who surely knew what he was talking about.

Well, Steve Jobs would have learned by now that you shouldn't use great quotes that will be misconstrued by anyone who is either clueless or has an agenda.

Great artists _steal ideas_ and make them their own. That's what Picasso did: He looked at the works of others, noticed what was good, and turned it into a unique work of art, which was Picasso's art. That's what Apple does. Apple steals ideas and turns them into Apple products. Samsung copies and creates cheap lookalikes.
[doublepost=1477561433][/doublepost]
I'm sure that this explains why people worship him like he was the next Jesus.
Could you give any real example of people worshipping Steve Jobs as if he was the next Jesus?

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Everybody can make explosive jokes but as Samsung share goes down, Apple's is not going up.

The Chinese got tired of being contract workers and that is not going to change

Reactions: DevNull0

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
And not updating them, in Apple's case.

Yeah, cos there's no difference at all between the 6s and the 7... /s
[doublepost=1477562416][/doublepost]
Could you give any real example of people worshipping Steve Jobs as if he was the next Jesus?

I have a pair of shoe laces which say "WWJD" and it stands for "What Would Jobs Do?"

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I will assume this is a joke and let it slide this time.

No joke. I have a 6S and thought the 7 was completely underwhelming and not worth the update. Still has huge bezels, physical size is still the same (needs to be smaller), screen res is still the same, doesn't have a jack (I'm a proponent for the removal of the jack but it's still a downgrade all the same), water resistance doesn't really bother me at all, and the camera is too small a difference to really notice.

I get that it's better, but it was still a paltry upgrade.

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016
No joke. I have a 6S and thought the 7 was completely underwhelming and not worth the update. Still has huge bezels, physical size is still the same (needs to be smaller), screen res is still the same, doesn't have a jack (I'm a proponent for the removal of the jack but it's still a downgrade all the same), water resistance doesn't really bother me at all, and the camera is too small a difference to really notice.

I get that it's better, but it was still a paltry upgrade.
Fair enough.

Reactions: Jsameds

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
There's competition in other phones besides Samsung. When you put out a phone that endangers people's lives, you deserve all the bad press you get

Competition is good for Apple users is what he was trying to say.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Fair enough.

I'm just praying next year we get a massive overhaul of the design that should have really come this year. It just seems crazy to me that going into 2017 we've still got what is essentially a 2014 design iPhone. As much as it pains me to say it, Android manufacturers have got their sh*t together and have been pumping out some amazing designs lately. Even the well know copycats like Xiaomi and Sammy have better original designs than Apple these days, in terms of smartphones.

Reactions: koigirl

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Original quote by Pablo Picasso. One GREAT artist. Who surely knew what he was talking about.

Well, Steve Jobs would have learned by now that you shouldn't use great quotes that will be misconstrued by anyone who is either clueless or has an agenda.

Great artists _steal ideas_ and make them their own. That's what Picasso did: He looked at the works of others, noticed what was good, and turned it into a unique work of art, which was Picasso's art. That's what Apple does. Apple steals ideas and turns them into Apple products. Samsung copies and creates cheap lookalikes.
[doublepost=1477561433][/doublepost]

Please don't take Picasso's quote at face value.

Picasso's quote was about CONSUMING culture and "STEALING" then INVENTING something new and HIDING your inventions in such a way that makes you look like a genius. As a student of history, I can easily tell where Picasso got his ideas from, but he hid it very well.

Samsung has no iota of innovation in any of their products. Maybe their displays are good, but they are still running as a company that runs on tech specs and not on WHY a certain product or feature does something. Or do we need it? They are not a reflective company.

Design principles don't come from tech specs, they come from liberal arts and the humanities, of which Samsung has zero.

I hate when people say Apple steals....if they DO steal, they make sure they put a nail in the coffin and make the best out of that "stolen" idea.

As much as I think Apple has gotten lazy in the past few years, it's still a design principled company from top to bottom — which other companies wish they had.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
As much as it pains me to say it, Android manufacturers have got their sh*t together and have been pumping out some amazing designs lately.

Amazing? Not really. Better than they were doing before? Probably. But then again, that's ALL they can do. They don't have the ability to custom design CPU/GPU chipsets or create their own OS. They're hopelessly behind in those things, so tweaking the screens for their flagship phones that don't have to be manufactured in mass quantity is pretty much it for them in terms of "innovation".

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
This title is misleading. They are still the Market leaders and the Edge S7 is better than Anything Apple has at present. Im confident that the S7 Edge will be better than NEXT years iPhone.

Wha? "Better" as a general statement at this end of the market is so wrong, and you should know "better". If I want the fastest smartphone I can buy, the Edge S7 is not the best. It may take that title for screen quality though. Just speaking in absolutes is, well, absolutely insane unless you have no idea about the capabilities of these devices.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Selling like hot cakes, market share to burn, the company is on fire, blazing performance, set the industry alight, incinerate the competition... etc etc.

Of course this debacle was a gift to Apple, especially given the extremely incremental nature of the iPhone 7. But I expect Samsung will recover, and it benefits everyone to have decent competition between the market leaders.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

The latest data from market research firm IDC shows Samsung's share of the worldwide smartphone market dropped to 20% in the third quarter -- its lowest market share since recording 19.9% in the fourth quarter of 2014. IDC estimates Samsung shipped 72.5 million smartphones in the quarter, down 13.5% compared to the estimated 83.8 million smartphones it shipped in the year-ago period.

Article Link: Samsung's Share of Smartphone Market Drops to Lowest Level in Nearly Two Years

As much as I can't wait to see what this story looks like in January 2017, I am even more excited to see what it looks like in January 2018, after the release of the "Tenth Anniversary" iPhone.

And today, I finally get my new iPhone 7 Plus. It's a good day. :)))))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.