Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This weekend, Samsung began running new television ads for its Galaxy Gear smart watch. The ads, which have received positive feedback from critics, pay homage to the first ads from another revolutionary device: the iPhone.

The ad from Samsung uses movie clips from "Star Trek", "Dick Tracy", "Knight Rider", and others with actors using their watches to communicate. The clip ends with a normal person using their Samsung Galaxy Gear, referencing a long-running pop culture fascination with wrist phones.

Apple is rumored to have a smart watch in development that would compliment existing iOS devices with biometrics and other feature integration. It is expected to be released sometime late next year.

Article Link: Samsung's Smart Watch Commercial Pays Homage to Early Apple iPhone Ad

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Gosh, I remember watching that 'Hello' ad for the first time back in 2007. The iPhone is really special.

Samsung copied a great commercial for a revolutionary product and created an okay commercial for a terrible product. We'll forget about the Gear in a couple of years or less.

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Too long

It's too long. They could've made it more more "exciting" by cutting out some parts.
Also, the UI-control reminds me of the iPod nano.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Jeez Samsung... This is a stealing spree... They copied all of those????

The Apple Ad
KIT
Star Trek
Flinstones
Inspector Gadget
Jetsons
Dick Tracy
Smurfs
Teletubbies
My aunt Jessica
My dog Sparky

Oh my god... can't they think of anything original???? :p

Last edited:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Pretty long I am sure they paid a ton for the air time. Honestly they didn't really sell me on the demo of their watch but I liked the idea of other cool watches in history.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
They steal everything don't they?

Samsung should have waited until Apple released their iWatch and copied it, instead they wasted all that time and money on a watch that no one will buy/use.

I haven't seen a positive review on the Galaxy Gear. Is there one?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Next year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 465

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I didn't realize how thick the watch face was until I saw it on that woman's wrist at the end of the commercial. It looks really bulky imho and I hope whatever Apple has in store for us is a bit more flush to the body.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
They steal everything don't they?

The best that I have seen personally was when they had a kiosk in the mall like 20 yards from the apple store, and they were targeting people leaving the apple store trying to sell their goofy tablets and such, and they were dressed like apple employees as well. They had like 20 people at the kiosk and at most 5 customers the time it took me to drink my Latte....and none of those 5 people bought anything, wonder if they just went to the apple store and bought an iPad...

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Next year.

Yeah, I honestly do not get why it was a race to make / own the smallest device in the 2000s, which seemed to peak at the Razr, and then the collective mob somewhere decided that owning the biggest phone would be even cooler.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
similar but not as effective

Who, as a kid, didn't dream of a watch phone?
THis appeals to all ages, specially us, 40 somethings, who grew up watching this kind of stuff. An A+ for Samsung! :)

stanleywkl

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Why should one answer the watch (so unnatural and sure with lot of background noise) and not using a Bluetooth Headset?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
The watch is such a fashion statement on woman at the end. :) Big time bling!

I predict I'll see none of these in the wild.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Anyone excited about these i watches at all?

if this can't replace my phone not sure why I would need one at this point.

CAO 303

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
NHV CT
LCD Soundsystem's Nike/Apple-commissioned "45:33" contained a segment that would later become the song "Someone Great," the soundtrack for this ad.

Even the background music is Apple-derived.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
So they didn't have any design to copy from Apple, but they still made use of what they had.

It looks like a weak iPod nano (prev gen).

(I wonder what the slides of Samsung smart watch before apple iwatch and after look like in the future.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.