Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
It is. I personally like hearing a little about what a competitor may be doing. Avoids the head in the sand thing. Doesn't take much bandwidth and you can tell from the title that you wouldn't be interested in reading the article and comments. Right?

Reactions: yui4 and Delivered

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022
I like Samsung stuff, but I only own their TV set. I think that's all I will own by them.
If you own an iPhone you’re likely using a Samsung display and ram etc. Samsung probably makes as much off iPhones as some of their own Samsung phones if not more.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
"If you own an iPhone you’re likely using a Samsung display and ram etc. Samsung probably makes as much off iPhones as some of their own Samsung phones if not more."
See post #12 above.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
If you had to pick an Android phone they're basically the only option. But yes their displays and appliances are good. Their phones are even good it's just that the software is a mess. But then software is kind of a mess everywhere these days...
With regard to the bolded text: Are you aware of the Google Pixel line of phones? I'm surprised I don't see them mentioned more. They are basically the iPhone of Android.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
It is. I personally like hearing a little about what a competitor may be doing. Avoids the head in the sand thing. Doesn't take much bandwidth and you can tell from the title that you wouldn't be interested in reading the article and comments. Right?
We call it surfing the web and research. Not being spoon fed quips and snippets here or anywhere for that matter. Anyone relying on any rumors site for their research is a fool.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
About two years before I sold my house, I bought a Samsung oven. Never had a problem with it. Just had to buy a special cleaner to be able to clean the flat surface burner areas.
I have a Whirlpool washing machine from 2006. It cost me 250€ and I'm surprised that this good girl still works.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Some Samsung hardware is quite beautiful, especially the front of their top-end smartphones.

The software, however, is another matter. "Come this way, through this Google tunnel, and don't forget to leave all your personal information behind as you go......"

Reactions: Morod

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
With regard to the bolded text: Are you aware of the Google Pixel line of phones? I'm surprised I don't see them mentioned more. They are basically the iPhone of Android.
I've seen the ads where all these famous people say their names and that they use Google Pixel. I bet you they bloody don't...

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Because pixels suck lol.
I've seen the ads where all these famous people say their names and that they use Google Pixel. I bet you they bloody don't...

It cracks me up how I almost never see a pixel lmao.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Why do they suck?
The obvious android OS aside. The cameras are mid. Especially video. Google ecosystem is a no.

Also the 8 pro is an ugly device. That hump is tragic.

If I had to use a lagdroid it would be a galaxy. Samsung s series are hideous too (how is it their A line is better than the S line) but Samsung is the apple of android. Not google with pixel.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good discounts on some products. Looking forward to seeing the new 2024 TVs from Samsung.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
They are not. Google Pixel has around 3% ot market share in the US, whereas Samsung has 20-25%. Globally Samsung is more on par with Apple, while Google usually doesn’t even appear on the charts because they are present in fewer countries. The Pixel seems to be the most popular in Japan at 10-12% market share, but in most countries they are below 5%.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
They are not. Google Pixel has around 3% ot market share in the US, whereas Samsung has 20-25%. Globally Samsung is more on par with Apple, while Google usually doesn’t even appear on the charts because they are present in fewer countries. The Pixel seems to be the most popular in Japan at 10-12% market share, but in most countries they are below 5%.
I live in Japan, and I've only ever seen one person with a Pixel. iPhones are de rigueur here.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
The obvious android OS aside. The cameras are mid. Especially video. Google ecosystem is a no.

Also the 8 pro is an ugly device. That hump is tragic.

If I had to use a lagdroid it would be a galaxy. Samsung s series are hideous too (how is it their A line is better than the S line) but Samsung is the apple of android. Not google with pixel.
I don't want to be ugly, but this is one of those, "Tell me you've never used a Pixel without telling me you've never used a Pixel," type posts. Or Android for that matter. If you look around the camera rankings, Pixels consistently rank at or near the top. IIRC, Pixels have won Marques Brownlee's yearly blind camera tests for years in a row.

And using words like "lagdroid"... again, come on. If you'd have used a Pixel, you'd know that laggy isn't the word that describes them. It's actually Samsung that people complain about in that regard, so you have it backwards. Admittedly, I haven't used a Galaxy as a daily phone, but I have used a Pixel as one, so I can speak for Pixels.

Also, I'm surprised you're putting down Pixel's camera bar. At least the phones don't rock on a table. And Samsung has Apple and Google both beat -- they don't even have a camera bump to begin with.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
You're right about the numbers. I think people just don't know about the other options. Samsung has the mindshare. For many people, "Android" and Samsung are synonymous with one another.

mrgrdn

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
If you had to pick an Android phone they're basically the only option. But yes their displays and appliances are good. Their phones are even good it's just that the software is a mess. But then software is kind of a mess everywhere these days...
If I had to pick an Android phone it would be the Nothing Phone. Its not only the visual artsy stuff, it is because they are more focused on UI than any other, except for google with the huge Material Design Guidelines

Reactions: CarAnalogy

theSpringMaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2019
I once had a phase where I switched entire to the Samsung ecosystem. Then step by step each thing broke. My fridge, my washer. Women would ghost me when they knew I used a galaxy. I went around teaching people how my phone had more ram than theirs.

I came crawling back to only Sony/Apple after all that. I like tinkering and fixing stuff, but I also like women
The new Galaxy S23/24 Ultras are pretty freaking amazing. I'm a complete Apple fanboy, but I'm really really impressed by them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.