Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Samsung definitely has designs that catch the eye, but I can't bring myself to ever buy a Samsung-branded product after seeing their cringeworthy Apple-envy Keynotes. Not to mention the design theft of the early iPhones.

Reactions: iLuddite

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
When they can offer random emails and passwords for online accounts then they will be worth it.
Had an email today advising me of The North Face hack in December! Very annoyed as I wasn't advised sooner, so I go to their site and discover, thankfully, I used Apples random email and password generator on their site so only info they had was my name and address, nothing else.
Yes you can do the same with third party apps, but Apple integrates it all for you.

AiPone12mini

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2022
Tartu, Estonia, EU
for me currently:
iPhone - super easy to use camera without thinking, even pictures are 10bit depth .heic and LiDAR scanner, great as bank card, maybe in future as Matter home devices control center. iOS pictures software is great too because no nonsense over excessive options. One thing iOS gives me liking, insane speed and clutter free experience.

Android - Complete freedom to install(even whole custom OS if you are extreme), you can even develop without asking permission from gatekeeper Google(except of-course uploading to Store). You can install communication apps that even governments ban like China CCP.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Horrible customer service. Appliances are a crap shoot. Sometimes you might get a good one. SSDs are great. But I do like their TVs.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Their washers are garbage. Ask any repair guy. You're lucky to get 10 years out of them.
10 years? You will be lucky to get 10 years out of any appliance. I have had LG and Samsung, washer, dryers , refrigerators and dish washers. NONE of them have made it to 10 years without a multiple repairs. I purchase warranties, 5 years usually and use the heck out of them.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Some Samsung hardware is quite beautiful, especially the front of their top-end smartphones.

The software, however, is another matter. "Come this way, through this Google tunnel, and don't forget to leave all your personal information behind as you go......"
lol Apple sells your data as well. Wake up.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
If I buy a product directly from Samsung, I have to deal with their anti-consumer practices. If Apple integrate their storage or display in my device, I go to Apple for support nor am I running Samsung software.

Funny how someone complain about Samsung’s anti-consumer practices, but completely ignoring Apple’s even worse record.

LOL.

Reactions: M3gatron

sloheim

macrumors member
May 2, 2022
10 years? You will be lucky to get 10 years out of any appliance. I have had LG and Samsung, washer, dryers , refrigerators and dish washers. NONE of them have made it to 10 years without a multiple repairs. I purchase warranties, 5 years usually and use the heck out of them.
Samsung washers and dryers are known to be crap.

Bought a Speed Queen washer. It is 100% mechanical.. no circuit boards or parts that will stop being made. It will live longer than me. I will buy the matching dryer when my current one goes.

I wish they made kitchen appliances too.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
With regard to the bolded text: Are you aware of the Google Pixel line of phones? I'm surprised I don't see them mentioned more. They are basically the iPhone of Android.

Ha yes I’m aware. I was a Nexus user. Had a Pixel 2.

They are trying to be the iPhone of Android, but missing two key pieces of the puzzle.

Their hardware quality is nowhere near as good.

And their software updates are crazy buggy. Never had an iOS update cause me to have to factory reset my phone. Happened on Android.

I just don’t trust Google. Samsung has the power to make Google at least give them consistent releases of Android, that’s about it. Can’t trust Google as far as you can throw them. They might announce that Pixel is discontinued tomorrow. You never can tell with them.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
If I had to pick an Android phone it would be the Nothing Phone. Its not only the visual artsy stuff, it is because they are more focused on UI than any other, except for google with the huge Material Design Guidelines
I agree in principle. But I worry about with them what I worry about with Google itself. Nothing may go out of business tomorrow. Google may just decide they don’t want to make Pixel phones anymore. They’ll probably keep making Android but it is impossible to say what Google will do tomorrow.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The more I read/look into the Infinity S9 display, the more I lean toward the Apple Studio Display. About the only thing the Samsung display has over the Apple is a removable power cord.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
We call it surfing the web and research. Not being spoon fed quips and snippets here or anywhere for that matter. Anyone relying on any rumors site for their research is a fool.
Pretty angry huh? Surfing the web is spoon fed quips and snippets, who are you kidding? No one implied that MR articles were the last word. Why would you think that based on what I posted? Jeebus you draw too many conclusions.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
If you had to pick an Android phone they're basically the only option. But yes their displays and appliances are good. Their phones are even good it's just that the software is a mess. But then software is kind of a mess everywhere these days...
Android OS has became pretty good these days.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Android OS has became pretty good these days.
In many ways it’s six of one, as they say. Personally I have been burned too many times by Google as a company and Android as a product. They may be better now but they have systematically eliminated all trust I ever put in them.

Apple may be falling behind in some areas and slow moving, but at this point I value stability more than flashy features.

Reactions: scorpio vega

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I don't want to be ugly, but this is one of those, "Tell me you've never used a Pixel without telling me you've never used a Pixel," type posts. Or Android for that matter. If you look around the camera rankings, Pixels consistently rank at or near the top. IIRC, Pixels have won Marques Brownlee's yearly blind camera tests for years in a row.

And using words like "lagdroid"... again, come on. If you'd have used a Pixel, you'd know that laggy isn't the word that describes them. It's actually Samsung that people complain about in that regard, so you have it backwards. Admittedly, I haven't used a Galaxy as a daily phone, but I have used a Pixel as one, so I can speak for Pixels.

Also, I'm surprised you're putting down Pixel's camera bar. At least the phones don't rock on a table. And Samsung has Apple and Google both beat -- they don't even have a camera bump to begin with.

Or…and hear me out. After 80 plus android and 16 years, I just gong android inferior and yes lagdroid.

I’m going to Coachella next month and I most certainly will not be using either my galaxies lol.

My friends already know that I prefer using my cameras but then again my people have iPhones mostly.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

ctklein

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I decided to give Samsung a go like 6 months ago. Orderd a Z Flip 5 and a galaxy smartwatch. The watch was never delivered and i was still charged for not sending my apple watch trade in. Customer service was horrendous to deal with. So many hours spent on the phone trying to get it resolved/find the missing package/refund me etc. Was always told either wait and give it time or you'll get a call or email back shortly. Finally after the second month I got my refund. The phone worked and no issues on that end but using their software to migrate all my apple stuff over only worked for like 50% of my stuff. It was a cute phone but camera quality was awful, had some freezing issues and just solidified my opinion that I really do not care for the android OS. Went right back to apple thankfully.

Reactions: Morod

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Or…and hear me out. After 80 plus android and 16 years, I just gong android inferior and yes lagdroid.

I’m going to Coachella next month and I most certainly will not be using either my galaxies lol.

My friends already know that I prefer using my cameras but then again my people have iPhones mostly.

The one thing iPhone excels at and makes me wish everyone would just get one is how easily they work together. Is your iPhone at least less than about seven years old and running the most recent software it can? Great it’ll work with mine just fine. AirDrop especially.

Got an Android phone? Well I do too. But which one? Which version of Android? Do we know how to use whatever this flavor calls the feature?

Granted Samsung solves some of that but then there goes one of the advantages of Android, not having to choose the mainstream. It goes right back to a choice between Samsung and Apple.

Ok this got a little ranty but it just reminds me it would be great if my few close Android holdouts would just switch already. Or at least get a damn iPad.

Reactions: scorpio vega

AiPone12mini

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2022
Tartu, Estonia, EU
The one thing iPhone excels at and makes me wish everyone would just get one is how easily they work together. Is your iPhone at least less than about seven years old and running the most recent software it can? Great it’ll work with mine just fine. AirDrop especially.
Yes i have noticed too that iPhone airdrop is flawless compared to android Bluetooth or whatever transfers when there is million failures before sending is successful. At least for me it has been bad experience in this area and updates are well made too. Samsung is starting to extend support, but still iPhones are far ahead in these areas... yet.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC

Got an Android phone? Well I do too. But which one? Which version of Android? Do we know how to use whatever this flavor calls the feature?

Granted Samsung solves some of that but then there goes one of the advantages of Android, not having to choose the mainstream. It goes right back to a choice between Samsung and Apple.

Ok this got a little ranty but it just reminds me it would be great if my few close Android holdouts would just switch already. Or at least get a damn iPad.

I thankfully have converted most friends into switching to android lol. I may have bullied them. Jk lol.

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose
You probably will, you just don't know it. What you really mean is "I won't buy your stuff as sold on it's own but I don't mind buying your displays and memory if it's hidden in my iDevice cos I pretend it's not"?
When Apple buys display from Samsung they don't off the shelf display.
iPhone display is made by Samsung to the design specifications, color accuracy, they even control manufacturing process.
Samsung display will look different on Galaxy and an iPhone.
it also depends on calibration of display.

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose
Appliances should last 20-25 years.

Reactions: AiPone12mini
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.