Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanflanders256

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
Do you not read any of the previous comments before diving in feet first and making yourself look a tad silly?
To be completely honest, I've just been trying to get to 100 posts to remove posting restrictions.

So you're right, in this case I didn't read previous comments.

However, I did learn from responses to my post that spatial audio was being studied as early as 2005 by QSound Labs and others. So at least I learned something new. And I'm at 100 posts now, so I can stop spamming the forums.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Do you have a pair and have you tried the feature? The rest of the mix is NOT just stereo in the headphones, all the sound sources are directional.

I do, they are, and no they're not. The mix might be down sampled to stereo in a slightly creative way but it's still stereo - it can't be anything else, it has a driver on each ear to work with, it can't make things sound like they're coming from different directions, it's not physically possible.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Hey Ding Dong... did you read the publication?

Clearly not! ?

Hey Doorbell... did you?

Clearly not!

The write-up explains precisely why the two were compared, and thus the whole laundry list of people not understanding what Apple does differently.

"Spatial Audio is designed to provide a theater-like surround sound listening experience on iPhone and iPad using dynamic head tracking capabilities that make it seem like sound is coming from all around you.

Samsung's "3d audio for videos" feature describes a similar experience. "Hear vivid, immersive sound coming from all directions so you feel like you're right in the scene when you watch videos," reads a toggle for the feature. "To get the best experience, keep your earbuds near your phone.""

As in... the write-up is pointing to the interaction with the phone, or other device, as what's being copied...

Reactions: gtg465x

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I do, they are, and no they're not. The mix might be down sampled to stereo in a slightly creative way but it's still stereo - it can't be anything else, it has a driver on each ear to work with, it can't make things sound like they're coming from different directions, it's not physically possible.
For that matter, “anchoring the centre channel of a surround mix” is not physically possible, either, because there’s no center channel driver in the headphone, it just has a driver on each ear to work with. It’s odd that you think anchoring the centre channel is absolutely possible, but anchoring the other channels (which is what they do) is not :)

• Disagree
Reactions: gtg465x

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Hey Doorbell... did you?

Clearly not!

The write-up explains precisely why the two were compared, and thus the whole laundry list of people not understanding what Apple does differently.

"Spatial Audio is designed to provide a theater-like surround sound listening experience on iPhone and iPad using dynamic head tracking capabilities that make it seem like sound is coming from all around you.

Samsung's "3d audio for videos" feature describes a similar experience. "Hear vivid, immersive sound coming from all directions so you feel like you're right in the scene when you watch videos," reads a toggle for the feature. "To get the best experience, keep your earbuds near your phone.""

As in... the write-up is pointing to the interaction with the phone, or other device, as what's being copied...

Keyboard warriors like should absolutely start to read some research papers. (You probably don’t even know what a scientific journal means ?).
Apples method for spatial audio (like you describe) was already studied back in 2005 in the field of applied-physics.

Just read the ****ing papers!

Reactions: MowgliWolf

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spatial audio has been around. Nothing new that Apple invented. Are we gonna also say Apple copied NR in earphones?

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Keyboard warriors like should absolutely start to read some research papers. (You probably don’t even know what a scientific journal means ?).
Apples method for spatial audio (like you describe) was already studied back in 2005 in the field of applied-physics.

Just read the ****ing papers!

I’m the keyboard warrior? Yet you just keep lining up to lose like this? Seriously?

Apple has their method patented.

It’s almost like the fact Bell Labs invented binaural audio in 1932 doesn’t matter here, Mr Scientific Journal.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
It is physically possible. One of the ways your brain perceives sound direction is by interpreting the slight timing differences it takes sounds to get to each ear. Headphones can reproduce this and make sounds sound like they’re coming from different directions other than just left and right. I’m starting to think half the people in this thread have never listened to headphones before. https://www.hear-it.org/The-direction-of-sound

Last edited:

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
For that matter, “anchoring the centre channel of a surround mix” is not physically possible, either, because there’s no center channel driver in the headphone, it just has a driver on each ear to work with. It’s odd that you think anchoring the centre channel is absolutely possible, but anchoring the other channels (which is what they do) is not :)

Facepalm. Clearly they can’t anchor the center channel because there’s no third driver in our center ear. Oh wait, we only have a left and right ear. It must not be possible for humans to detect sound from center because we don’t have a center ear. ???? Jesus dude, go buy a pair of AirPods Pro and turn on spatial audio while watching a movie that supports it from your phone. Then you can stop claiming it’s impossible to anchor the center channel.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
In the end, it’s not going to do Samsung any good.

Apple creates experiences made possible by their control over hardware and software. AirPods max is the latest example of how Apple creates a listening experience around spatial audio, transparency and noise cancelling. This in turn paves the way for developers to build on this foundation by designing their own audio experiences.

Samsung can include these hardware features all they want, but because there is no one coherent, cohesive vision unifying these features, I doubt it will result in a meaningful improvement in the end user experience.

It’s the same old story every time.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Facepalm. Clearly they can’t anchor the center channel because there’s no third driver in our center ear. Oh wait, we only have a left and right ear. It must not be possible for humans to detect sound from center because we don’t have a center ear. ???? Jesus dude, go buy a pair of AirPods Pro and turn on spatial audio while watching a movie that supports it from your phone. Then you can stop claiming it’s impossible to anchor the center channel.
Facepalm. RIF. :)

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
I’m the keyboard warrior? Yet you just keep lining up to lose like this? Seriously?

It’s almost like the

It’s almost like the fact Bell Labs invented binaural audio in 1932 doesn’t matter here, Mr Scientific Journal.

You don’t understand the difference between a research paper and a patent? Surely you must be American, no?

A company like Apple can use the public information from a research paper to patent the techniques for a specific product. All information published by research institutes or Universities are public and free to use.

Did you even read the paper I send you? It describes exact the method Apple uses for the Airpods! (It’s might hard to understand the publications with your ego ?)

09437615-C7CB-472F-9130-C8C619182B52.jpeg

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Well no, the centre channel is still in the stereo field - it just pans left and right depending on where your head is looking - it won't go above or below you or behind you or do anything remotely "surround" because it can't - it just pans left and right depending on where it's worked out where you head is.

The other channels are just mixed in stereo in both ears evenly and never move.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It is physically possible. One of the ways your brain perceives sound direction is by interpreting the slight timing differences it takes sounds to get to each ear. Headphones can reproduce this and make sounds sound like they’re coming from different directions other than just left and right. I’m starting to think half the people in this thread have never listened to headphones before. https://www.hear-it.org/The-direction-of-sound

But it's a very vague approximation using reverb for depth (in other applications) it still doesn't actually sound like something is really coming from behind or below or above - it's still a stereo field.

All they're doing is giving you as wide a stereo field with the left right and rear channels in the mix and taking the centre channel and panning it left/right depending on where your head turns and the iOS device is in relation to the stereo field. If they could really make things sound like they were coming from behind, above, below, etc from you - they'd do it with the centre channel when you put the iOS device in those directions, but it doesn't, because it can't, it just pans left or right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.