Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
And the iPhones after that will be the collective baby of Ive, Mansfield and Federighi. I'm sure Cook's input will mostly be cost of production, manufacturability and comparative feature set.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
San Francisco district attorney George Gascón told the SF Examiner (via AppleInsider) that an Apple representative told him the next two generations of iPhones have already been developed and that Steve Jobs was involved in their development, saying "they preceded Tim Cook".

Nobody can verify this unless Steve reincarnates back! :cool:

InYou101

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
April fool! lol

Sounds like Apple is feeling the disappointment of allot of customers under the new management. If you are listening Apple.. Don't give us the iphone 5S! Nobody was impressed with the design of the 5 nor are we looking to spend more money just for a better chip and camera lens. I am keeping my 4S and so are allot of people I know... :rolleyes:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hopefully this shuts up the doomsday sayers that said Cook was destroying Apple with products which now turn out to have been Steve approved.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
They had four years of product ideas in the pipeline as of the end of 2011? Okay; but there's a problem with letting those ideas from almost a year and a half ago continue to guide your decisions today. Mobile technology is fluid and it has changed quite a bit from the vantage point Steve had in 2011.

I suspect (hope) Apple's product roadmap until 2015 is dynamic and is not based upon what Steve knew in 2011. Otherwise, we're likely in for a disappointing next two years, folks.
Considering that Steve Jobs practically created a market for tablets, a market that didn't exist until almost exactly three years ago, I would not worry too much about what Steve knew in 2011 and how he envisioned Apple's product pipeline up until 2015. The Apple roadmap should be both dynamic yet follow Steve's plans if anything.

And as for the article, this is "not-so-significant" news but important as to remind us that Steve Job's taste or vision for Apple and it's products is still alive today. Who knows, maybe some of his ideas did not mature into an actual product because it relied on cooperation from other partners. "iRadio", for example, required very careful deals to be made with major record labels. Only just recently it was reportedly "coming soon". Not to mention the "iTV/Apple TV"...

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
We have had the ability to block mobile phones for years!! The telco blocks the imei number and it becomes a paperweight.

I always thought the US was a leader in technology but Australia had 3G in about 2000, 7 years ahead of the US and now with preventing mobile theft. I am amazed.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
So unless they have something fresh planned, they better plan something fresh? Got it.

Pretty much. Technology changes all the time and something that was laid out 4 years ago may no longer be relevant.

But hey keep the course even though a storm a blowing...

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
"We" didn't, and don't, know anything about Apple's product pipeline. We'd heard about it and this adds to that, which is worth noting, especially by a rumors site.

Or what? Care to elaborate?

Yeah I elaborate. Something four years ago may not be relevant any more. If it's something mind blowing that hasn't been seen before then by all means bring it out but if it's a huh humm then I don't think it really needs to be explained

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
They had four years of product ideas in the pipeline as of the end of 2011? Okay; but there's a problem with letting those ideas from almost a year and a half ago continue to guide your decisions today. Mobile technology is fluid and it has changed quite a bit from the vantage point Steve had in 2011.

I suspect (hope) Apple's product roadmap until 2015 is dynamic and is not based upon what Steve knew in 2011. Otherwise, we're likely in for a disappointing next two years, folks.

Steve Jobs didn't own a crystal ball. I'm sure a basic roadmap was laid out, but I would hope that the current management would adapt those designs to changing market conditions and competition. If they just release whatever Steve wanted for the next 4 years and don't take anything else into consideration during product planning I would say they have some pretty weak management.

cassiar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
If you think about it, all this means is that Steve had 2 differently designed phone models that he personally approved.

Apple revamps the design every other year. Steve probably approved the 5 and 6 (as well as their 'S' iterations).

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
"We" didn't, and don't, know anything about Apple's product pipeline. We'd heard about it and this adds to that, which is worth noting, especially by a rumors site.

Why, thank you! By my comment, I meant that it was already a widespread rumor.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Hopefully this shuts up the doomsday sayers that said Cook was destroying Apple with products which now turn out to have been Steve approved.
Yes indeedy... Let's all continue to hang our hopes on the ideas of a deceased CEO. Makes perfect sense to me.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I wouldn't be surprised if the next two iterations are a refinement of what's gone before: More megapixels in the camera, more memory, faster processor, thinner(!), etc. I can see those being laid out years in advance in anticipation of mundane hardware component improvements.

IMHO, the really BIG innovations came out with the original iPhone: Slide to unlock, proximity switch to disable random touches from your ear, pinch to zoom, swipe scrolling and the most beautifully sensitive touch panel in the industry. It's hard to believe now, but they were all game-changing at the time: Nothing since has really matched them.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yes indeedy... Let's all continue to hang our hopes on the ideas of a deceased CEO. Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not hanging my hopes on anyone. I don't own Apple stock and consequently couldn't care less either way. Im just saying the entire product line in its current state and the next 1 or 2 revisions have all had input from Steve.

The decision to use a 4" screen on iP5...steve approved
The decision do to an iPad mini...steve approved
The iMacs and MBPr...steve approved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.