Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes. It has been rumoured for months now and hundreds of threads discuss this issue.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
this is what the site says:
It is expected that these new processors see the light at the end of the year, being incorporated into the new Mac line in early 2011, repeating the experience of 2009 when Apple was the first manufacturer to implement the Nehalem chips in their systems.

so who knows.. and to the poster above.. how do you know its for the desktops?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
this is what the site says:
It is expected that these new processors see the light at the end of the year, being incorporated into the new Mac line in early 2011, repeating the experience of 2009 when Apple was the first manufacturer to implement the Nehalem chips in their systems.

so who knows.. and to the poster above.. how do you know its for the desktops?

1. Sandy Bridge is P67. P67 is desktop line. The new CPUs coming out are ALL desktop chips.

2. You won't see the laptop equivalent until mid 2011. Also, Apple adopted the Xeon based 1366 CPUs (aka Nehalem) which are (by the name Xeon) desktop class CPUs. Also, Apple wasn't the first to put a Core i7 chip into their systems. They did however put the first Xeon based i7 into a workstation desktop. Much different.

Do your homework before coming here and spouting none sense.

Skybar

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
1. Sandy Bridge is P67. P67 is desktop line. The new CPUs coming out are ALL desktop chips.

2. You won't see the laptop equivalent until mid 2011. Also, Apple adopted the Xeon based 1366 CPUs (aka Nehalem) which are (by the name Xeon) desktop class CPUs. Also, Apple wasn't the first to put a Core i7 chip into their systems. They did however put the first Xeon based i7 into a workstation desktop. Much different.

It is quite strongly rumored the mobile version of sandy bridge will be released at the same time. So your guess isn't better than anyones at this point.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
The good news is 6 Gbps SATA and 2X PCIe. The bad news is that you're stuck with Intel's integrated graphics - approx. equivalent to an ATI Radeon HD 5450. Not being a gamer myself - someone please tell me how good/bad that is.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

thanks for clarifying but really. "Do your homework..." was that necessary?
apparently im sry for whatever i did do or did not do? :confused:

lol!

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

Go tell that to Anand LaShimpi at AnandTech. He already benched some of the Desktop CPUs and made a mention for mobile.

"Like the desktop offering, mobile Sandy Bridge will arrive sometime in Q1 of next year. If 2010 was any indication of what's to come, we'll see both mobile and desktop parts launch at the same time around CES."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3876/intels-core-2011-mobile-roadmap-revealed-sandy-bridge-part-ii

You should probably open your mouth and insert your foot. Then when your done with that, feel free to have some humble pie.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You should probably open your mouth and insert your foot. Then when your done with that, feel free to have some humble pie.

Ha funny, and cute. But no. Last time Lynnfield came out and MBPs were still at Core 2 Duo... it wasn't until 32nm refresh came out that Apple started considering the next step and even then it took a whole 6 months.

So yes, 6 months after P67 sounds about right. So, by the way things are going, we might as well wait for Ivy Bridge.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
September 2011 then... knowing Apple, that's a nice launch date.

Apple has never taken longer than 10 months to release an update. Guessing 15 months for an update is ignorance. Feb 2011 sounds about right.

cmzwirner

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
September 2011 then... knowing Apple, that's a nice launch date.

The mobile sandy bridge chips will be released at the same time as the desktop chips. Seeing that laptops are replacing desktops in todays world, i wouldnt be surprised to see the mobile chips out first. Id be willing to be that mobile CPU's out-sell desktop CPU's.

And apple isnt that stupid. They arent as conservative as before. They are getting more aggressive with their releases, and are leaning more towards performance. I think its likely that a Q1, or Q2 release is posible for the macbook pro's. Im more leaning towards Q2, just because apple will probably have to redesign the internals to house the different chips, and adapt to intel integrated graphics.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
The mobile sandy bridge chips will be released at the same time as the desktop chips. Seeing that laptops are replacing desktops in todays world, i wouldnt be surprised to see the mobile chips out first. Id be willing to be that mobile CPU's out-sell desktop CPU's.

And apple isnt that stupid. They arent as conservative as before. They are getting more aggressive with their releases, and are leaning more towards performance. I think its likely that a Q1, or Q2 release is posible for the macbook pro's. Im more leaning towards Q2, just because apple will probably have to redesign the internals to house the different chips, and adapt to intel integrated graphics.

that could be true.. but on a different post i read that apple is probably already trying the new sandy bridge chips and all.. so technically they should be already designing the room, etc right?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Even if intel does release to mobile flavor of sandy cheeks
sandybio.jpg

I mean Sandy Bridge :p

It doesn't mean apple is going to jump on the bandwagon immediately. I think we've all seen a significant delay in seeing a new chipset and apple updating its computer line.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I currently have an early 2008 MBP. The next MBP i'll buy will have the sandy bridge CPU. If that's early 2011, so be it :D

I can't see Apple jumping on board with a refresh Q1 of 2011 unless they're working with Intel right now. We'll see!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Source for that, please. Intel hasn't stated what specific CPUs they will release in CES. As mobile versions are coming in Q1, I can't see why wouldn't Intel release them in CES. That's what they did with Westmere and mobile parts are more or less the same as desktop parts. PM67 isn't that different either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.