Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satechi today announced a new USB-C Magnetic Wireless Charging Cable, which is a new wireless charging option for Apple's iPhone 12 models. Designed to work with the magnets built into the iPhone 12 lineup, the Magnetic Wireless Charging Cable adheres to the back of an iPhone much like Apple's MagSafe charger.

The Magnetic Wireless Charging Cable works attaches to an iPhone 12 with a magnetic connection, but it is not MagSafe and can charge an iPhone at a maximum of 7.5W like other Qi-based wireless chargers.

satechi-magnetic-charger.jpg

Though not able to charge at MagSafe charging speeds, Satechi's charger is convenient because it snaps right into the right spot for charging on an iPhone 12 model. It features a small wireless charging puck that's quite a bit smaller than standard Qi-based wireless chargers that don't have magnets for placement guidance.

satechi-magnetic-charger-2.jpg

The Magnetic Wireless Charging Cable has a space gray finish and the cable measures in at close to five feet so its long enough to use even in situations where an outlet isn't close at hand. It plugs into any USB-C power adapter, but does not ship with one.

satechi-magnetic-charger-3.jpg

Satechi's new wireless charging option is designed to work with the iPhone 12 models, but when paired with a new Magnetic Sticker, it is also compatible with the iPhone 11 lineup. The Magnetic Sticker is also required when using the charger with an iPhone 12 case that does not have built-in MagSafe magnets, but it does work alone on a naked iPhone 12 or an iPhone 12 with a MagSafe case.

satechi-magsafe-sticker.jpg

The USB-C Magnetic Wireless Charging Cable can be pre-ordered from Satechi's website for $29.99. The Magnetic Sticker is available as a separate purchase for $9.99. Those who pre-order from today through December 16 can get 20 percent off a purchase using the promo code MAGNET.

Article Link: Satechi Debuts Magnetic Wireless Charger for iPhone 12 Models

Last edited:
Reactions: johnsc3

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Wait... so you'd have to use a sticky magnet even on the 12?

Satechi's new wireless charging option is designed to work with the iPhone 12 models, but when paired with a new Magnetic Sticker, it is also compatible with the iPhone 11 lineup. The Magnetic Sticker is also required when using the charger with an iPhone 12 case that does not have built-in MagSafe magnets, but it does work alone on a naked iPhone 12 or an iPhone 12 with a MagSafe case.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Just ordered one. I simply want this on my nightstand to conveniently set it without having to adjust to center. Plus, I DO NOT want anything more than 7.5W charging overnight.
Is there a safety concern with your reasoning behind not charging over 7.5w?

Reactions: Huck

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
Wait... so you'd have to use a sticky magnet even on the 12?

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
It's the evolution of wireless charging.

By connecting your device.....

.....Using a wire.

*ahem*
in a Qi wireless charging setup...

...the specification says...

...up to 4cm of wireless power transfer.

*ahem*

seriously do you even read what you type?

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Just ordered one. I simply want this on my nightstand to conveniently set it without having to adjust to center. Plus, I DO NOT want anything more than 7.5W charging overnight.
I’m guessing heat’s the concern on >7.5W charging overnight, but, it seems like one of Apple’s primary goals with MagSafe was good thermal management. (Probably explains the throttling on chargers that don’t meet the very specific requirements…)

This just looks horrendously pointless—not in concept, but given that MagSafe just come out. Why not use the ostensibly better charging standard when you’re halfway there with the magnets?

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
I’m guessing heat’s the concern on >7.5W charging overnight, but, it seems like one of Apple’s primary goals with MagSafe was good thermal management. (Probably explains the throttling on chargers that don’t meet the very specific requirements…)

This just looks horrendously pointless—not in concept, but given that MagSafe just come out. Why not use the ostensibly better charging standard when you’re halfway there?
Because I’m not interested in purchasing a separate 20w charging brick.

Reactions: phenste

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
in a Qi wireless charging setup...

...the specification says...

...up to 4cm of wireless power transfer.

*ahem*

seriously do you even read what you type?
I just don't see the point. Wireless means without a wire to me tbh.

Might as well charge quicker and more efficiently and just plug the damn cable in if you're connecting something physically anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.