scared.... tempted to switch to Android. Help me please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NeuroticaPills, Oct 9, 2014.

1. NeuroticaPills macrumors newbie

Ok, so here's the deal. I've been using my trusty iPhone 4S for 2.5 years now and I loved every minute with it. Before that, I used an HTC Desire and it wasn't a great experience. I'm fully integrated in an Apple environment, macbook, imac, ipad and all get a lot of use.

I always told myself I would upgrade my phone when the iPhone 6 would be announced. And I still want to. But... it's just.. argh. The availability of the iPhone 6 is so terrible here, I know I should be patient (or should've ordered one when they became available). So there's that, and the fact that in a local electronics store I spent quite some time playing with an LG G3 on display and I was amazed at the display, the big screen-but-relatively-small-device, and, I'm Dutch, the fact it is half of what I would pay for my iPhone 6 of choice.

So here I am, seriously doubting if I should wait for the iPhone to become available or save myself the money and risk a LOT of frustration by going to Android. I'm not a troll, I really want an iPhone, I love it, I'm very invested in it regarding apps and integration in my daily life. But damn, I'm cheap. And doubting, haha.

Convince me to stick with Apple! :D

2. I7guy macrumors G5

You should do what you feel is right. The best phone is the phone that you're using.

3. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Stick with Apple. Trust me. Android has gotten a lot better, but there are still going to be a lot of things that you've gotten used to with the iPhone that aren't there with Android.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

Yes, and it's nice isn't it? At least when everything works as advertised. So that would be an important factor for you I would think.

5. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Had the lg3. It lagged, overheated, and suffered from native app crashes that make ios8 look pristine.

I prefer ios, but I give credit where it is due and android is a great system. You would be better served with a nexus or even a Moto x.

6. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Be patient. There are still iPhone 6's around and waiting to be had. You are invested into the Apple ecosystem so don't let this temporary stock issue change your plans.

7. Dreday24 macrumors regular

get a moto x/nexus/htc one or stick with the iPhone, stay far far away from other android OEM skins.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

A) If you are emotional and anxious about a possible purchase in which there is no rush, that should be a huge red flag to you to stop and reevaluate your situation.

B) If you are looking to strangers to make a decision for you, that should be a huge red flag to you to stop and reevaluate your situation.

9. koban4max macrumors 68000

Don't feel ashamed....you are you...nobody is judging you (unless it's one of the hardcore apple fan). I got a note 4..and it's great...i'm just waiting for iPhone 6 plus.

10. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Android has come a long way is is worthy competition for Apple, competition is good. :)

As for the switch, my position would be to stay on apple due to your using the larger ecosystem. For example, I use AppleTVs extensively and love the way it all works with my TVs, iPads, iPhones, iMacs, MacBooks, etc. I don't want to shift all of my media content somewhere else due to the effort and total, larger, expense of making that happen.

11. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

You got a Note 4? Wait, does it bend? ;)

12. GrecoISU macrumors member

I'm in the same boat... I was at Best Buy at 5 AM and first in line... They didn't get any 6 Plus. I still don't have one. I've decided it is very possible I regret getting a Note 4. I will not regret getting the 6 Plus. That made my decision... and the fact I decided to go 64GB because of I was waiting anyway :)

----------

Doesn't the Note 4 come out... Like October 17th?

13. RAWandVITAL, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

RAWandVITAL macrumors member

Overall, like the previous poster mentioned, it is your choice. Then again, friends, or in this case, fellow forum members, don't let other friends/forum members make bad choices!

STICK WITH APPLE

There's a reason why they move the amount of inventory that they move.

I have been on a bunch of different mobile devices and apple product are by far the best and most pleasant to experience in my opinion.

Don't pull the trigger on a lesser product just because of availability man. Hang in there and make the right purchase.

And I'll say this. I don't think Android is in any way competition to Apple. It's not even fair to assess the two on the same playing field. I never really understood how you can even compare the two. Makes absolutely zero sense!!!

14. mcorleone macrumors regular

mcorleone

My history with Androids is very limited since I've never owned one. But the times that I had (a friend's or the one my dad had briefly) I found the interface very frustrating and reinforced my decision to stick with Apple. Apparently the TC has had experience with Androids before and knows what to expect and what he/she is getting into if they go back to the Droid....

:apple::apple::apple:

15. koban4max macrumors 68000

it bends my mind...sure LOL...but i know both are good (iPhone 6 plus..even though i don't have it yet...just tried it)

16. bfederspill macrumors newbie

I've LG g3 ever since it came out and I have never been disappointed with it. Smooth, works great and its fast. But the ultimate choice is yours to make.

17. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

18. ag29 macrumors 6502

You could get the Iphone 6 if what you're looking for is a cheaper, smaller phone.

It would also be a far easier transition than switching to a 5'5 screen from a 3'5.

Android is nice, but transitioning from an Iphone to android can be quite a pain.

19. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You've waited this long, what's a few more days or a couple more weeks when the iPhone 6 will be in plentiful supply..

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My boss has a Samsung Galaxy phone. Every time he upgrades his phone, I have to enter the network settings for our office wifi network, which has a weird configuration, so all the settings have to be entered manually. So on iOS, all the settings can be entered in a single screen. On the Galaxy, it's enter one value, press next. Enter next value, press next. Enter third value, press next... Finally press connect, find that some value has been entered incorrectly, start over from the beginning. I don't know if this is specific to the Samsung UI or if all Android works like this. But it's little details like this that makes me stick with iOS.

21. koban4max macrumors 68000

yes it does in US version..but i brought me a korean version.

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Switch. Then, if you don't like it, return during the return period and wait for the iPhone.

Done.

23. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

most people that talk crap on the other platform nowadays have not used that other platform recently for a significant length of time. Significant = more than a few days, more than side by side at the store...

android is now solid. it's not laggy, it's not as disjointed as it used to be and everyone makes it out to be..

ios can crash and do crash and is not as fluid as everyone makes it up to be..

in truth, both of these OSs fall somewhere on the middle ground. they're both mature operating systems and they both do their jobs well.

They both have pros and cons but neither are 'better' than the other, provided you pay for a quality vendor with Android (ie. a no name chinese Android is never going to compare to a $1000 Apple product, but a similarly priced Motorolla or HTC can)

OP, in your situation, you will be giving up Apple platform-specific features when moving to Android, no question. Google exists on every platform but Apple doesnt. Hence, your move to Android will mean you'll have to let go a lot of parts from Apple and take on Google instead. If you're comfortable with that, go for it.

Example: Airplay, airdrop, continuity, itunes, imessage, facetime.

24. koban4max macrumors 68000

i hear ya...and i like both.